• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    In the past I’ve made target stands out of PVC for close pistol work.
    8ygizd.jpg

But this time I had a torso-sized piece of rusty plate steel (25 x 15”) that I wanted to hang at the far end of the pond on our property. It’s 206 yards from the dam. That’s a good distance for rifles (and pistols if you’re steady…ask Integraholic!). I like steel targets because of the sound and swinging/movement you instantly get with a hit!

So, with six 2x4x8s and some hardware I built a stand for the big plate and also a flange on the side.

Here’s how it turned out.

Target stand
    2dbv0uq.jpg

The top board really isn’t curved. The camera lens did that. The top and side boards are designed to be replaced after they get shot up.

The stand is 29 inches wide since the door to the storage shed is 29.5 inches wide. The top cross piece will have to be unbolted for storage.

As is my typical approach, it’s a bit over-designed and reinforced. I want it to last, even with that very heavy piece of plate steel swinging around.

The plate I used was left on our property when we moved in. The type of steel is unknown. It had been shot by rifles quite a bit. I cut off the worst part of it. It’s still not in great shape with several pock marks and one hole. I know that for safety, it’s best to have a totally flat surface with steel. I’m figuring that at 200+ yards, ricochets will not be a concern.

Plate close up
    1ju5w3.jpg

I only painted the fronts of the targets.

Back of target stand
    20u96c4.jpg

I think a pseudo-IPSC type plate hanging on the stand would be wonderful. Preferably made of A500 grade steel. I sent the following sketch to INGO member Field King to see if he might be able to make a plate like that.

2f06d6c.jpg

A slick way to get the same thing done without building anything is to use an old children’s swing set or the frame from a two-person garden swing. Some chain and a few bolts and you’re in business! Unfortunately, I gave a frame to my sister before thinking of that! :n00b:

For others that are equipping a range, I built a shooting bench last summer. Here is a link to that posting.

Shooting bench plans
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/access..._pictures.html

Happy Shooting!
    :ar15:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Dang, another very nice build there Dave! I've been wanting to do something similar to that to mount targets to, even if they are just paper for now. Just haven't had time, reps on the way!

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Nice job, lovemywoods!!! That stand should last a while. Also, can you post a little more about the PVC stand, I need something like that. Thanks, Greg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    if you dont mind me asking what caliber was you shooting that it would put those holes in what looks to be some thick steel at 200 yards.

Those were already there when he found the plate on his property.

We do plan, however, to see just what this piece of steel will take. . . :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Wow! Complete with pullup bar for esrice to prove his youth on! Very nice.

I am curious how you attach cardboard to the PVC targets you listed first. They look like a good "leave in the trunk" option for me, but I do not see the way they secure the cardboard.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Another option for el-cheapo target stands is using a 6' or 12' 2x4.

• Cut the 2x4 into 18" lengths. A 6' board will yield one stand; 12', two.
    • Arrange in an H pattern, with two pieces forming the horizontal section.
    • Space the center boards about 3/4" to 1 1/2" apart. This will depend on the thickness of the sticks you use. Common wood lath is pretty thin, so narrow is fine.
    • If you have access to a table saw, ripping a 2x4 lengthwise into 3/4"x5' or 6' pieces makes sticks that will last a very long time.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    How thick is that plate? From the back it looks like "diamond plate" and I don't know of much use for diamond plate that is over 1/4" thick. If its 1/4" or less I don't know that it would hold to rifle rounds all that well. We have a 5/8" steel plate that 7.62X39 will almost puncture.

I also have some 3/4 inch steel plate that 30-06 AP does go through.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am curious how you attach cardboard to the PVC targets you listed first.

This: (you can't see them in the above picture)

• If you have access to a table saw, ripping a 2x4 lengthwise into 3/4"x5' or 6' pieces makes sticks that will last a very long time.

Here is a better picture Joshua.

25ppch1.jpg

These will disassemble down to fit into a car trunk. They are also very lightweight, so its good for moving around, but you may have to weight them on a windy day.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How thick is that plate? From the back it looks like "diamond plate"

It is diamond plate on the back, but I have no idea how thick. What I do know is that it's friggin' HEAVY!

This plate is just a temporary fix until we get a larger piece of AR500. If we zoom some holes through it, no big deal. :yesway:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    It looks like I will be doing some more AR500 plates. If Field King doesn't pan out, let me know. I already have the IPSC torso programmed and ready to go, I just need more commitments. Let me know if you need anything.

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    Even though I've passed the half century mark I have no experience with steel targets. What are some do's and don'ts with steel targets. I read where they should be slightly tilted forward but see some set ups that seem pretty much straight up and down. Is there a safe distance? I've watched some Todd Jarrett, Blackhawk videos on UTube and it appeared like he was fairly close to his targets, shooting a .45.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I love the PVC stand. Thanks for the idea, I have been planning on building three to do the NRA Distinguished Expert qual for a friend. I like your design.

Terry

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Even though I've passed the half century mark I have no experience with steel targets. What are some do's and don'ts with steel targets. I read where they should be slightly tilted forward but see some set ups that seem pretty much straight up and down. Is there a safe distance? I've watched some Todd Jarrett, Blackhawk videos on UTube and it appeared like he was fairly close to his targets, shooting a .45.

There is a great guide available from Action Targets at:
    http://www.actiontarget.com/pdf/pt_Steel_Target_Resource_Guide.pdf

The first half is very helpful information about steel targets and safety. The last half is mostly information about their line of targets.

Some general responses to your questions.

Pistol caliber: Minimum distance of 40 feet

Rifle calibers: Minimum distanct of 300 feet

Safety glasses are required always and by all participants in the area. Wrap-around glasses are even better.

Long pants and sleeves will reduce any skin damage from splatter.

Targets should always have some 'swing' to them to reduce the force of impact on the steel. They can hang vertically, but need to be able to swing back a bit.

Target surfaces should be flat. Craters and pock marks can cause ricochets. This is particularly needful at pistol distances.

Happy shooting!

Top Bottom