• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Looking into this, there appears to be something to it. At the worst, Paul wrote these, or approved their publication. At the best, he has finessed the issue.

It appears to me that the most likely scenario is that he turned over responsibility for the newsletters to people he was close to, then when the controversy came he at first doubled down, then backed away and claimed ignorance. The people who likely wrote these things are still close Paul advisors.

From what I can tell, I don't think Paul is a racist, but this issue isn't going away, and I don't think he has a good explanation.

After reviewing this, I think it's likely he's refusing to answer because he knows there's evidence enough to sink him, or he'll have to lie about something where the truth may come out.

This looks legit to me, and if I think so, the MSM is prepping right now.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    dross.... WHY are you doing this to yourself?:rolleyes:

Here they come, you'd better start making tracks brother....:runaway:

Actually, they convinced me to look deeper. They've irritated me to the point that I decided to look into something I first accepted the quick answer for. After looking into it, there's something there.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Can I ask where it is you did your digging? If there is something to it, I'd like to become better informed.

I read several places after googling it a couple of different ways. Reason.com had probably the most succint discussion of it.

I like to read a variety of things and see what the enemies say as well as what the supporters say. I don't take anything at face value. I look for what are the accusations and then what is the accused saying or not saying.

Here is what is most telling, for me. One, there have been some conflicting statements and non statements from Paul over the timeline of these accusations, which go back a long time. Another is that Paul has been carefully repeating that he didn't read the stuff at the time, and that he disavows them now. What's not being asked is if Paul knows who wrote the things, and if they are still in his organization. If so, and it appears very likely that is the case, it's legitimate to ask him if he disavows it, why are these people still close to him? As well as much followup.

In any case, looking at everything I can find, all questions on this are not answered, this isn't old news being dredged up, this is stuff that's been being glossed over for a long time.

In more practical terms, it's very clear to me that there are enough unanswered questions that this will become a major issue, probably the second he wins Iowa.

P.S. Thanks to the Ron Paul supporters for motivating me to look into this when I had been prepared to accept the accusations as typical crap the left generates. I almost didn't live up to my own personal standard of due diligence, but the RP supporters motivated me. Thanks guys!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    what in particular did you disagree with in his newsletters? Did he do something illegal? Did he have $300,000 in ethics violations? Cheat on his wife perhaps? Bounce 22 checks in the House Banking scandal?

It's an old story, drummed up because he's the only one who can defeat Obama. Newt and Mitt are just the other side of the Obama coin. Unless a real conservtive gets in this race, we're screwed.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Dross, of course he knows who wrote them, Lew did with the help of Rothbard. Libertarians have known for some time, his handlers advised him poorly at the time and he's had to defend himself ever since against charges of racism.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    what in particular did you disagree with in his newsletters? Did he do something illegal? Did he have $300,000 in ethics violations? Cheat on his wife perhaps? Bounce 22 checks in the House Banking scandal?

I've already stated that I think he's better than Gingrich, so if you're comparing them, you win. Paul is better than Gingrich or Romney in my book.

Now, that said, it's not illegal to make racist statements, but it might keep you from being elected. And if you're trying to gloss it over instead of dealing with it head on, well, that's what politicians do.

But it's a legitimate issue, and it will be addressed, now or when he's running against the first black president.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Dross, of course he knows who wrote them, Lew did with the help of Rothbard. Libertarians have known for some time, his handlers advised him poorly at the time and he's had to defend himself ever since against charges of racism.

Yes, but he's still close with Rockwell, so he's going to have to deal with it. Trying to stick to his pat answer and walking out of interviews is just going to make it bigger issue. One that goes straight to the heart of his - dare I say it - electability.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ron Paul's responses on this topic remind me of Romney's response to questions of flip-flopping. They know they have no good answer and so they fall back on feigning righteous indignation.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Ron Paul's responses on this topic remind me of Romney's response to questions of flip-flopping. They know they have no good answer and so they fall back on feigning righteous indignation.

Exactly so.

And the truth is, I honestly don't think Paul is a racist. But it's clear he hasn't handled this thing, and he's extremely vulnerable on it. It also reveals him to be the same kind of politician as they all are. And I don't even hold THAT against him because they all have to do it to survive.

But let's see if his supporters eschew hypocrisy.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    So, what do we conclude? Ron Paul is racist or out of touch (even with his own operation) or a fool or a cynical political charlatan? Whichever, it's not at all flattering. This is similar to what I observed of Paul's Congressional service, he'd introduce bold sounding bills but did nothing to garner any support. Was he inept, or were the bills not supposed to go anywhere except to be fed to his supporters and contributors? His office wouldn't even send co-sponsor sheets when requested. If the bills went nowhere, it just proved that the rest of Congress was in on the conspiracy and afraid of liberty. Smoke and mirrors meant to keep the contributions flowing.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

It's an old story, drummed up because he's the only one who can defeat Obama. Newt and Mitt are just the other side of the Obama coin. Unless a real conservtive gets in this race, we're screwed.

Well, he has had his hands on women, down there, at least 4,000 times that didn't involve his wife. Truly sickening!!!

Everything I've been seeing is mentioning that the newsletters are being pushed by Newt's people. I've got to say that even if Ron Paul wrote those newsletters, he wouldn't be the only candidate currently running that has said things that others could consider very offensive when it comes to race. In a situation like that, you would need to look at the way those people treat the races that they supposedly hate. If they don't discriminate, well...they've just got some jacked up beliefs. If they do discriminate based on race, not cool at all.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, what do we conclude? Ron Paul is racist or out of touch (even with his own operation) or a fool or a cynical political charlatan? Whichever, it's not at all flattering. This is similar to what I observed of Paul's Congressional service, he'd introduce bold sounding bills but did nothing to garner any support. Was he inept, or were the bills not supposed to go anywhere except to be fed to his supporters and contributors? His office wouldn't even send co-sponsor sheets when requested. If the bills went nowhere, it just proved that the rest of Congress was in on the conspiracy and afraid of liberty. Smoke and mirrors meant to keep the contributions flowing.

Well, as the Paul supporters carefully and oh so calmly explained about Herman Cain, if he can't handle the accusations any better that that without obfuscating, how can he be President?

If Paul doesn't know that this issue is going to come up in great detail when he runs against the first black President, what am I to think of his judgment? A smart politician would want to get ahead of this story before the general election.

You know, like the RP guys carefully and calmly explained about Cain: he knew these things would be coming out, or he should have, and he should have been more prepared.

Apparently Paul is prepared to walk out of every interview where he gets asked about it.

Hmmm, I wonder if he'll ever get asked about it again? Maybe not.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Exactly so.

And the truth is, I honestly don't think Paul is a racist. But it's clear he hasn't handled this thing, and he's extremely vulnerable on it. It also reveals him to be the same kind of politician as they all are. And I don't even hold THAT against him because they all have to do it to survive.

But let's see if his supporters eschew hypocrisy.

*looks up eschew*

If what you say is what is happening, and we find out, then I'll lose a fair bit of respect for Paul. If this is true & is the worst scandal to hit, he'll still be my #1 choice, despite some obviously stupid choices he may have made a few decades ago & some bad handling of what I view as a minor screw up. This is more a testament to the dearth of desirable candidates & less a testament to my devotion to a particular person. If Gary Johnson, all of a sudden, had a devoted following & a shot in hell, I'd be supporting him over Paul.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Well, he has had his hands on women, down there, at least 4,000 times that didn't involve his wife. Truly sickening!!!

Everything I've been seeing is mentioning that the newsletters are being pushed by Newt's people. I've got to say that even if Ron Paul wrote those newsletters, he wouldn't be the only candidate currently running that has said things that others could consider very offensive when it comes to race. In a situation like that, you would need to look at the way those people treat the races that they supposedly hate. If they don't discriminate, well...they've just got some jacked up beliefs. If they do discriminate based on race, not cool at all.

Unless Newt's people wrote them, it's not relevant who is pushing them. Unless you don't think Obama's people will push them, too.

It also doesn't matter if he's a racist, just as it was explained on this forum about Cain. It didn't matter if he was guilty, but how he handled it.

Paul could have addressed this years ago. Instead, he pushed it away and because he's been a minor figure, it hasn't been truly explored.

Wait 'til he wins Iowa. B L O O D B A T H. And it'll be the blood of cute little black babies that he'll be bathed in. If you don't think so, as my mom used to say, you just hide and watch.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I didn't think Republicans were so sensitive to political incorrectness. Has anyone even bothered to read the letters? They read like a witty Ann Coulter article.

Anybody?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Unless Newt's people wrote them, it's not relevant who is pushing them. Unless you don't think Obama's people will push them, too.

It also doesn't matter if he's a racist, just as it was explained on this forum about Cain. It didn't matter if he was guilty, but how he handled it.

Paul could have addressed this years ago. Instead, he pushed it away and because he's been a minor figure, it hasn't been truly explored.

Wait 'til he wins Iowa. B L O O D B A T H. And it'll be the blood of cute little black babies that he'll be bathed in. If you don't think so, as my mom used to say, you just hide and watch.

I'm not defending his handling of this at all. I'm part of the wait and see what happens camp. If he truly doesn't know who wrote the stuff, I don't see what else he can say. If he does, shouldn't be too hard to say who was in charge of the writing or editing. Personally, if I were in that position and my name was attached to something...I'd want to sign off on it as to make sure nothing like this would happen.

Top Bottom