• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    That's too bad, it seemed like he was a better candidate than Romney. I liked a lot of what I heard from him, but that wasn't a whole lot since the media ignored him.

Jake

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    This is horrible. He had the 2nd best hair of all candidates. I may be able to vote for Ron Paul if he gets his eyebrows trimmed but right now his hair is awful!!!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Huntsman shared some common ground with Ron Paul on the Patriot Act, the wars, torture, & civil liberties.

I think this will be a net positive for Ron Paul.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I could never get by the letter Huntsman wrote Obama to the effect that he was a great leader.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    He will be less than a blip in the history of this race. I am still mystified by the Romney's appeal to voters. You would think if people really liked his positions (whichever one is being espoused that day) that Huntsman would have been able to pull more voters from him.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    rphutchi -

I suspect that Romney's appeal lies in _predictability_. Look closely at the candidates:

Gingrich - he's the Joe Biden of the Right - heaven only knows what's going to come out of his mouth tomorrow. Great for debates - bad idea for foreign policy

Perry - came off as another dim light bulb from Texas in the debates - whether true or not, that's the appearance.

Santorum - will shake things up in a right wing sort of way. I would think that he and Gingrich are splitting some votes between them. Either one of them would be benefit from the other leaving. But neither's ego will allow it - and probably won't until they and Perry have divided things and weakened each other and Romney's got too much momentum...

Ron Paul - dross, I think, articulated this before, and other Repubs I know have said as much to me - while they agree with much of what RP says, he's trying to cram too much too fast. He fails to grasp the concept of incrementalism. I would suspect that his son Rand would be leading the race, were he in there. Why? He appears to understand that principle better than his father.

Call people "sheep" and be insulting all you want - the truth is this: Most R's wouldn't have a problem with the good doctor's MESSAGE per se - but his bedside manner SUCKS. Kind of like Gingrich's bedside manner SUCKS (although his message is also different).

And with Santorum pandering to the Religious Right, and Ron Paul screaming from the Libertarian side, and Gingrich and Perry yelling anything they can to discredit Romney at the top of their lungs... Romney appears Presidential - and safe...

Note that I didn't say I agreed with him. I'm just commenting here on human nature and how the game is playing out. There are some big factions in the R party - Religious Right, Hard Core Conservatives(fiscal AND social), Country Club/don't rock the boat centrists, and a quickly growing Libertarian wing. Look at how the votes are dividing up from those factions and you'll see how this is going to play out.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Nice discussion AP. I would have to agree w/ almost everything you said. But Biden of the right for Newt? Ouch:)

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Re: Biden of the Right... not meant to be inflammatory (grin)... kind of in the "harsh, but fair" category...

Neither of them has a filter between their current thought du jour (or "du second"??) and their pie hole. :D Again, that's great for debates, and they might be extremely intelligent. That might make someone a great legislator - and a poor President - due to the impact on foreign policy. Ronald Reagan - whatever one may have thought of his fiscal policies, played a mean game of chess with the Soviets. He understood the need for such a filter.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Ron Paul - dross, I think, articulated this before, and other Repubs I know have said as much to me - while they agree with much of what RP says, he's trying to cram too much too fast. He fails to grasp the concept of incrementalism. I would suspect that his son Rand would be leading the race, were he in there. Why? He appears to understand that principle better than his father.

Not to divert the entire thread but hasn't Paul been saying the same things for a long time? Much longer than this primary race? I'd like to hear how he would respond if someone told him he was trying to cram too much too fast.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Huntsman shared some common ground with Ron Paul on the Patriot Act, the wars, torture, & civil liberties.

I think this will be a net positive for Ron Paul.

Even though he's thrown his support to Romney? I wonder how much weight a person's favored candidate has in diverting loyalty to a new one upon his resignation from the race. I guess it depends on why people flocked to Huntsman in the first place.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    How long he's been saying it IS NOT RELEVANT in regards to changing people's minds!!
    The distance between his articulated goal (many repubs would agree with a lot of...) and WHERE WE ARE TODAY _matters_. People are having trouble wrapping their heads around all of that change all at once... This is like any other revolutionary change of thought. THere are some folks that are "early adopters" that can wrap their head around it... and it takes awhile to bring the rest on board. Go too fast, and you are branded a whacko. Learn to pull it along, and have just a little bit of patience - and you're the hero that saved the Republic. Knowing the difference between the two? Priceless...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Call people "sheep" and be insulting all you want - the truth is this: Most R's wouldn't have a problem with the good doctor's MESSAGE per se - but his bedside manner SUCKS.

Can you give an example of what proper bedside manners would look like?

Top Bottom