• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The family of a 17-year-old African-American boy shot to death last month in his gated Florida community by a white Neighborhood Watch captain wants to see the captain arrested, the family's lawyer said on Wednesday.
    "What do the police find in his pocket? Skittles," Crump said. "A can of Arizona ice tea in his jacket pocket and Skittles in his front pocket for his brother Chad."
    Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest - Yahoo! News

Tragic, unfortunately, I am all too familiar with these type of "suspicious" calls. Though lacking in some facts, it appears that the "Captain" should be charged asap.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I'd like to hear an unbiased rest of the story. From what that author wrote, the "watch" captain should definitely be in jail for the boys death.

Not sure why race was mentioned at all (Other than to instigate) until those other factors and other side of the story is in.

Wheres Paul Harvey...We need the Rest of the story.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd like to hear an unbiased rest of the story. From what that author wrote, the "watch" captain should definitely be in jail for the boys death.

Not sure why race was mentioned at all (Other than to instigate) until those other factors and other side of the story is in.

The problem is, according to the vid, that no one actually saw anything. So that means that only one side of the story will ever be told.

What we do know, is that no criminal activity was reported by the shooter, other than the 17 year old kid being "suspicious." A 17 year old kid that was unarmed and had a legal right to be where he was.

What exactly made the shooter confront the kid, knowing that police were on their way? We'll never know anything other than the shooters perspective, which I'm pretty sure is sympathetic to his position.

I personally think manslaughter is probably apt.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Media reports on things of this type will always be written to sensationalize and "stir the pot." The fact that the captain was not arrested on the scene probably tells us more than anything we'll get from the media. I've attached a link to a better, yet still sensationalized, account of the events. There's definitely enough info so far to withhold any conclusion until the PD does their investigation. It may well have been a good shoot.

Shooting mystery: Miami-Dade teen killed by a crime watch captain - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Media reports on things of this type will always be written to sensationalize and "stir the pot." The fact that the captain was not arrested on the scene probably tells us more than anything we'll get from the media. I've attached a link to a better, yet still sensationalized, account of the events. There's definitely enough info so far to withhold any conclusion until the PD does their investigation. It may well have been a good shoot.

Shooting mystery: Miami-Dade teen killed by a crime watch captain - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

It very well may have been a good shoot. But odds are, it wasn't. The kid was walking home, and was confronted by the shooter. Does it make sense that a 140 pound kid is automatically going to attack a person?

And exactly what was the intent of the shooter in confronting the kid? Did he attempt to detain him, which would be illegal, until police arrived? Does the kid have the right to resist a neighborhood watch captain? I've tossed around a million scenarios in my head, and the only one that makes any sense is the kid resisting being detained by the neighborhood watch captain; at which point he may do so physically.

This guy was following the kid in a vehicle, as the victim walked home. To a 17 year old kid that probably seems pretty suspicious, and then to be confronted by a grown man? C'mon, there no way this kid could have possibly thought he was in a "safe" situation.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Since the "watch commander" had bruises on his face and other signs that a physical attack had taken place, I would probably lean toward the possibility of this being a shooting in self defense. But, unless the picture of the kid was years old and he had grown a great deal, it would be hard for me to believe any adult male would have to kill that 140 pound kid in defense of their life.

It appears that the kid was suspected of being in the wrong neighborhood, but I'm sure the authorities will make sure every angle is examined before they mistakenly arrest the watch commander. I would be very interested in hearing the whole story.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Since the "watch commander" had bruises on his face and other signs that a physical attack had taken place, I would probably lean toward this being a shooting in self defense. But, unless the picture of the kid was years old and he had grown a great deal, it would be hard for me to believe any adult male would have to kill that kid in defense of their life.

It appears that the kid was suspected of being in the wrong neighborhood, but I'm sure the authorities will make sure every angle is examined before they mistakenly arrest the watch commander.

I disagree. Does a person have the right to "bruise the face" or "physically attack" a stranger that is attempting to illegally detain them?

Does anybody actually believe that the watch commander, at the very least, wasnt attempting to have the kid wait until police arrived? If he is physically attempting to restrain the kid, the kid is justified in putting the smack down on him.

It makes absolutely zero sense that this kid attacks a grown man for no reason.

I don't have kids, but if I did, and my child was being followed by a person in black suv, who subsequently got out and confronted my kid, I wouldn't be too happy about it. Further, if that stranger tried to detain my kid, I tell him to do whatever he/she had to in order to escape.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I disagree. Does a person have the right to "bruise the face" or "physically attack" a stranger that is attempting to illegally detain them?

Does anybody actually believe that the watch commander, at the very least, wasnt attempting to have the kid wait until police arrived? If he is physically attempting to restrain the kid, the kid is justified in putting the smack down on him.

I don't have kids, but if I did, and my child was being followed by a person in black suv, who subsequently got out and confronted my kid, I wouldn't be too happy about it. Further, if that stranger tried to detain my kid, I tell him to do whatever he/she had to in order to escape.

I'm not saying your intuition is wrong. I'm just trying to look at the other side. My gut tells me that something isn't right, but I'm attempting to remove my suspicions and just say, "what if" in this situation.

By the way, I'll just post what would have been if race weren't brought into the picture... prayers to the family.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It very well may have been a good shoot. But odds are, it wasn't. The kid was walking home, and was confronted by the shooter. Does it make sense that a 140 pound kid is automatically going to attack a person?

And exactly what was the intent of the shooter in confronting the kid? Did he attempt to detain him, which would be illegal, until police arrived? Does the kid have the right to resist a neighborhood watch captain? I've tossed around a million scenarios in my head, and the only one that makes any sense is the kid resisting being detained by the neighborhood watch captain; at which point he may do so physically.

This guy was following the kid in a vehicle, as the victim walked home. To a 17 year old kid that probably seems pretty suspicious, and then to be confronted by a grown man? C'mon, there no way this kid could have possibly thought he was in a "safe" situation.

I used to be bigger than I am. I'm 6', used to weigh 225 (down to 185 right now). I was attacked once by a guy who weighed no more than 140 and was about a foot shorter than me.

Don't look at people's size and assume that just because someone is smaller, that he's reasonable and won't pick a fight with someone bigger.

I don't know what happened in this. It could be exactly as you said there, or it could be the watch guy said "what are you doing around here?" and the kid said "f*** you I'm going to rob your house and kill your wife" instead of "I live down the road" because he was a young, stupid smarta** that didn't like being questioned in his own neighborhood. Then who knows what furtive movements or attacks that might or might not have actually been made.

I'm not saying that's what happened though because I really don't know.

Last edited:

tca1352

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    How the hell could you claim self defense in a situation like this?...That kid could have been anyone of us. If this guy dialed 911 from his house/car..and followed this kid..got out of his car to confront him. How could he not be the aggressor in this situation. If that kid was any member on this board, and the outcome was the other way around, I personally believe they had every right to put this "community captain" down.

tca1352

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    I don't know what happened in this. It could be exactly as you said there, or it could be the watch guy said "what are you doing around here?" and the kid said "f*** you I'm going to rob your house and kill your wife" instead of "I live down the road" because he was a young, stupid smarta** that didn't like being questioned in his own neighborhood. Then who knows what furtive movements or attacks that might or might not have actually been made.

What right does he has to ask someone what they are doing?....and if the kid told him to "f*** off", so what.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I used to be bigger than I am. I'm 6', used to weigh 225 (down to 185 right now). I was attacked once by a guy who weighed no more than 140 and was about a foot shorter than me.

Don't look at people's size and assume that just because someone is smaller, that he's reasonable and won't pick a fight with someone bigger.

Could be this captain was the neighborhood Paul Blart and all the kids there knew it. I have a hard time believing that a "neigborhood watch" captain isn't predisposed to being a busybody. What was his general attitude to all of the neighborhood kids? Was he the guy that berated and hated kids or was he the neighborhood father figure and a member of the Boys and Girls club?

cncfrench

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    This is a sad outcome to a terrible situation. I refuse to pass judgement either way until I hear more from the investigation. A 17 year old boy is dead. A man may or may not be guilty of killing him outright. The thing that really ticks me off is that RACE was immediately brought into this equation. There is more to this incident than we know right now.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What irks me is that it seems to be the societal norm that an adult can start an interaction with a kid with nothing but disrespect but someone the kid owes respect in return to the adult for the shear virtue that the adult is older.

Let's say a man sees a kid in the mall wearing baggy pants. The only thing the adult knows about the kid is that his pants are sagging and he doesn't like it. He mouths off to the kid about his pants and the kid responds in kind. Suddenly, the kid is the *******. Nevermind the kid didn't initiate the disrespect. Could this be the case with this story?

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Exactly! I think that it would be impossible to bruise someones face if they are inside a car. The neighborhood watch captian, in my estimation, was the agressor. As evidenced by his leaving the car after the police had been called. Someone was walking down the public sidewalk, not in his curtilage. He has no legal right to confront/detain and has instigated the situation. Just like you can't be in mutual combat with someone and claim self defense, this guy can't instigate the situation and then claim self defense. My opinion, INAL.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The "watch captain" may have been initially in the wrong, and the yout' could have escalated it into a physical attack because he was being screwed with. If a party unnecessarily escalates a verbal confrontation into a physical, possibly deadly, attack, the lethal force can legitimately be used.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The "watch captain" may have been initially in the wrong, and the yout' could have escalated it into a physical attack because he was being screwed with. If a party unnecessarily escalates a verbal confrontation into a physical, possibly deadly, attack, the lethal force can legitimately be used.

Exactly, and that's possibly how this will conclude, especially since the kid is dead. I would be very surprised if anything happens to the shooter.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Know what's funny though... by your comments it's obvious that you're white. It's called stereotyping. It may be possible that if that young man were white, no one in that community would have considered him
    'suspicious'. But a black young man walking down a sidewalk in a mostly all-white neighborhood is suspicious just because he is black. Race is a major factor in this case and must be considered.

tca1352

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009

Bottom line...a citizen of these United States was walking, minding his own business. Was there a crime reported in the neighborhood? NO. He was gonna be detained for walking down a damn street. And since he would have been out of the area before the police arrived, some guy thought he needed to stop him. And now he is dead.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Bottom line...a citizen of these United States was walking, minding his own business. Was there a crime reported in the neighborhood? NO. He was gonna be detained for walking down a damn street. And since he would have been out of the area before the police arrived, some guy thought he needed to stop him. And now he is dead.

article-2112385-1216F99B000005DC-880_634x632.jpg

Yeah, this kid looks really scarey to me....

article-2112385-1216F99F000005DC-770_306x632.jpg

Must of had a bad upbringing without much love ... sure looks like it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom