Fmr Marine arrested over internet posts; FBI says comments "terrorist in nature"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    RICHMOND, VA - Former Marine Brandon J. Raub was taken by FBI and the Chesterfield County Virginia Police Department on 8/16/2012. They asked him questions about his posts on Facebook, then took him away in handcuffs. According to his mother, Brandon was not read his rights, and taken because his comments were "terrorist in nature." She was told that her son was taken to a psychiatric facility to determine if he is "fit for society." When she called the facility (Popular Springs, in Petersburg, VA), they had no record of his admittance.

Browse his 2 public Facebook accounts and see if you can see any terrorist postings.

BLOG COVERAGE:
    Former Marine Arrested Last Night Over Facebook Posts That S.S. Claim Were

VIDEO OF THE ARREST:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpChd1-8Q4[/ame]

INTERVIEW WITH HIS MOTHER:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaE5zChbC5w[/ame]

HIS TWO FACEBOOK ACCOUNTS:
    https://www.facebook.com/brandon.raub?sk=wall
    https://www.facebook.com/raub.brandon?sk=wall

383660_124920590956355_223935931_n.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the youngster beat you to it!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_political_discussion/230503-brandon_j_raub.html

Nevertheless, it is scary!

Just think, we used to discuss with shock and horror the USSR, PRC, DPRK, southeast Asian and African dictatorships, and assorted banana republics disappearing people without any due process or expectation of returning to normal life if any life at all. Now this, and hardly a whimper from the sheep.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They asked him questions about his posts on Facebook, then took him away in handcuffs.

Talking to the police, problematic.

Brandon was not read his rights

Doesn't have to be.

taken because his comments were "terrorist in nature."

What did he say about whom?

She was told that her son was taken to a psychiatric facility to determine if he is "fit for society." When she called the facility (Popular Springs, in Petersburg, VA), they had no record of his admittance

Why does she think that the feds will tell her the truth, or that that the facility is not under HIPAA restrictions?

So, what did the lawyer say when he attempted to see his client?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    NO WAY. On TV the police read them their rights every time they place handcuffs on the suspect. If they don't, that is a false arrest.I cannot tell you how many times a suspect told me that.

Does this also mean that they think that if you don't read them their rights then they are under obligation to flap their jaws?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If the internet had been big in 1984, I wonder if Tim McVeigh would have had a FaceBook Page to vent on . . .

Just goes to show that the INGO Mods know what they're doing when they limit speech of the sort that's apt to get a body a visit from the FBI.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    What did he say...?

I, Brandon J Raub, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
    Aren't former military and those who proclaim the Constitution considered potential terrorists these days?:dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If the internet had been big in 1984, I wonder if Tim McVeigh would have had a FaceBook Page to vent on . . .

Just goes to show that the INGO Mods know what they're doing when they limit speech of the sort that's apt to get a body a visit from the FBI.

I think you rewound a few years too many! :):

Seriously, (not having a FaceBook account doesn't help in this situation) what did he say other than political opinions? I haven't heard of anything illegal, unless I slept through the announcement the the First Amendment has been repealed thus political opinions are only permitted if approved by the powers that be. If he offered violence against anyone over his views, I could understand, but as I said, I have not found mention of anything of a threatening nature.

I will agree with your assessment of the wisdom exercised by Fenway and the mods regarding posts that invite unwelcome attention.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hope you're kidding about that being what he got arrested for. I took that oath for the latest time in June 2009 in front of a bunch of witnesses.

I think he is just pointing out that Big Sis at DHS sent out that watch list for local LEO that included folks who were recently discharged. So yeah, we're keeping our eyes on you :draw:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think you rewound a few years too many! :):

Seriously, (not having a FaceBook account doesn't help in this situation) what did he say other than political opinions? I haven't heard of anything illegal, unless I slept through the announcement the the First Amendment has been repealed thus political opinions are only permitted if approved by the powers that be. If he offered violence against anyone over his views, I could understand, but as I said, I have not found mention of anything of a threatening nature.

I will agree with your assessment of the wisdom exercised by Fenway and the mods regarding posts that invite unwelcome attention.

You're correct, of course. I have reason to know the OKC bombing took place in 1995. Ah the perils of advance age . . .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You're correct, of course. I have reason to know the OKC bombing took place in 1995. Ah the perils of advance age . . .

That, and I am sure that Timmy doesn't exactly merit a spot on your top 5000 list of things to think about most of the time.

Top Bottom