• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The news reporter tonight said that Indianapolis firefighters are going to be FORCED to learn Spanish. What country do we live in, and what is our ONE official language? I've got a novel idea, why don't we FORCE anyone who chooses to live in this country to learn English?

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The news tonight says that Indianapolis firefighters are going to be FORCED to learn Spanish. What country do we live in, and what is our ONE official language? I've got a novel idea, why don't we FORCE anyone who chooses to live in thus country to learn Englsh?
    Why are we forcing anybody to do anything?

Staalbund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    The problem is that it is NOT our official language. We have a language everyone uses but by law it is not the Official language.

Besides why should we waste our money and their time teaching them Spanish when some people don't put in the effort to speak English. If they don't want to learn English then they can wait for the next available Spanish operator or put in enough effort for basic English communication.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This seems relevant somehow...

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I wonder if they're hiring- I speak the espanol
    It is a very big foot in the door. You should apply.

I know a guy that is fluent in Farsi. Who the hell would have ever wasted their time in college learning Farsi you ask?

The lucky SOB in now on the next hiring list for the Secret Service. Because he speaks Farsi. Damnit!!!! And here I majored in drinking beer...

:):

Last edited:

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    New recruit classes will include a Spanish language course.

However the recruits are not being forced to do anything. They are free to seek gainful employment elsewhere.

New IFD recruits required to take Spanish classes | Fox 59 News – fox59.com

Sounds like something a union member would say.

My sons school was going to do a second language and left it up to the parents. Spanish or sign language. 92% sign.Must have been a fluke cause we all know that ALL American citizens want to make things easier for people that break federal law and expect us to bow to them ! O wait we have not federal law anymore
    Never mind on that one !

F Spanish I no FN abla. Never have and never will !

Funny how so many nations on this planet have a official language but if the U.S does it, it is racist but everyone else it's cool. Hmmmm Mexico has a official language, wonder what it is ?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Sounds like something a union member would say.

My sons school was going to do a second language and left it up to the parents. Spanish or sign language. 92% sign.Must have been a fluke cause we all know that ALL American citizens want to make things easier for people that break federal law and expect us to bow to them ! O wait we have not federal law anymore
    Never mind on that one !

F Spanish I no FN abla. Never have and never will !

Funny how so many nations on this planet have a official language but if the U.S does it, it is racist but everyone else it's cool. Hmmmm Mexico has a official language, wonder what it is ?

The United States prides itself on being different. We are The Great American Melting Pot. The Great Experiment.

I don't want an official language.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    what is our ONE official language?

As mentioned, there isn't one. English, while the common tongue, is not legally designated an official language.

Also, as mentioned, it's a requirement for the new recruiting class. It isn't an affront to freedom, it's important for public service personnel to be able to effectively communicate with the public it serves. With native Spanish-speakers being the most rapidly increasing demographic in the United States, this isn't going to get any less important.

A belief that everyone should just speak English is outdated and asinine. Being multilingual is a great skill to have in the modern world, specifically if the second language is Spanish or Mandarin.

wolfeden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Medaryville
    Just dial 1 for English!! LOL I have already stated to my 10 year old's principal, that my son will not be forced to learn spanish. I am not a prejudice person, but if it comes down to it, he will be home schooled from that day forward.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    that's a great incentive, learn english or face the possibility of burning to death in a fire

eso es un gran incentivo, aprender Inglés o enfrentar la posibilidad de quemar hasta morir en un incendio

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    So, how many Hispanics are being forced to learn English as a term of employment?

Oh wait, that's racist.....

Top Bottom