• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Rabbit season statewide opens November 7, but in select areas opens October 1st.

I have never hunted rabbits, but want to try it this year. I will be hunting the Lake Monroe properties, and do not have access to experienced dogs or rabbit hunters. Any pointers about what type of landscape to look for? The areas surrounding Lake Monroe are vast, and thinking about where to start is a bit daunting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know the orange blaze, equipment, daily limits, etc, but do not know anything about strategies or rabbit habitat. This is not my first hunt, but it is my first rabbit hunt.

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Brush piles. Stomp on one, and the rabbit will come running out. Wait for it to freeze and take the shot (assuming rimfire). If it doesn't freeze, it will just circle back around, so stay put and keep your ears open.

Rabbits don't need a water source as they can get enough water from the plants they consume, and from dew. But, water and edible plants in the area do help.

Josh <><

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Also, it's recommended that you don't kill any rabbits until after the first frost. The reason is, rabbits have some sort of bug underneath their skin and the frost kills them. Just a suggestion.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Apparently this bug is a relatively bad thing? Or does it just make it harder to clean them? I am not that desperate for meat that I am willing to get sick, just wondering how exactly it affects the animals (or humans).

Thanks

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Briars,,,the sticky prickly ones, kick them, shake them, make some noise.
    Railroad tracks are excellent also, but be careful not always legal. I have a couple spots with old abandon railroads.
    Fence rows are good if you got a partner one of you shake the fence the other blast them.
    I prefer shotgun and shooting them on the run. You got to lead them.

By all means find someone with a dog so much more efficient.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Huh, I had no idea of the season opening early around Monroe. I haven't hunted rabbits in years but I want to, preferably with rimfires.

I have a question. It was my understanding that rabbit season was in November to assure there had been enough of a freeze to kill off all of them with rabbit fever (tularemia.) Maybe this relates to nighthawk80's post?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I have hunted rabbits for over 20 years (my favorite game besides deer). I have used both rimfire and shotguns. I am not a master hunter by no means but I do like to be efficient (especially now in my old age...lol). I just got to the point that I was getting my limit more often with the shotgun. Now squirrels I use rimfire they seem to sit still more. Its pretty thick bush where I hunt and the shotgun is more effective and if you hunt in groups I think shotgun seems a little safer. Now I did see this guys custom 10/22 I would like to try rabbit hunting with.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/10346-my_custom_10_22_a.html

It looks like it is setup nice for a quick shot.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Throwing firecrackers into the brush or into their hole is never a good idea (take it from me) to scare em out. They run even faster.

+1 rhino, always carry some gloves and bags when handling the fuzzbuckets. Also, scare em then see what they do. If they dont run, dont eat them. That rabbit fever is nasty stuff. If they run, plink away.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks guys.

So, if I understand this correctly, handling/eating rabbits before the first frost is acceptable as long as I protect myself from bacteria by wearing gloves during handling and thoroughly cooking the meat. Wearing gloves is not a problem, and I prefer well-cooked meat.

If there is some other concern that I have misunderstood, please jump in and speak up. If not, I don't see a need to wait another month, because I already take the necessary precautions.

Thanks again!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The comments about whether or not the rabbit is acting strangely is important too. If they just sit there and don't get scared, it's kind of like a dog that's foaming at the mouth. There is something wrong with it. I wouldn't try to harvest it.

Also, when you're cleaning them, if you see anything that looks unusal in the meat or organs, just throw the whole thing away (incinerate/burn it if you can). It could be anything from visible parasites to odd colored spots, or something that just makes your spidey-sense tingle. It's not worth it, even if cooking will kill just about any of it.

Better safe than sorry!

And of course be wary of the insects and similar creepy things that transmit all kinds of diseases to the bunnies as well as you. Ticks, mosquitoes, etc. Take the normal precautions.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    The absolute best and most productive way to hunt rabbits is to wait till dark then get some buddies with a car or truck ride down a dark secluded dirt or gravel road with the headlights on while you sit on the hood and blast them at the end of the road turn around and come back and pick them up. However this may be illegal... in fact I am pretty sure it is.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Many years ago when my brother and cousins and I would hunt rabbit, one of us ended up being the dog that had to shake the bushes, stomp the brush piles and wade through the briars. We had a lot of fun and created lots of memories.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Many years ago when my brother and cousins and I would hunt rabbit, one of us ended up being the dog that had to shake the bushes, stomp the brush piles and wade through the briars. We had a lot of fun and created lots of memories.

i take it there was some sort of alcohol involved :buddies:

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Hunting without dogs

Throwing firecrackers into the brush or into their hole is never a good idea (take it from me) to scare em out. They run even faster.

+1 rhino, always carry some gloves and bags when handling the fuzzbuckets. Also, scare em then see what they do. If they dont run, dont eat them. That rabbit fever is nasty stuff. If they run, plink away.

So true.:)

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    No alcohol involved, we were probably only 12 to 15 years old then. And Yes we were considered responsible enough to take off down the railroad tracks, across the field or out to the back 40 with our rifles. After all they were only 22 rifles and every kid got one by the time they turned 10.

We would not have thought about shooting something just to destroy it. We just went out to have fun and were expected to bring home the supper.

That is the problem today, young people do not have the opportunities to do the things that we did growing up in a mostly rural America. If you can reach out and give some young people the chance to experience these things, please do.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I always thought that was the main reason Dad had kids :):

Top Bottom