Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Wolves in Indiana, Marion county Indianapolis?

So I was walking my pup this morning before my morning rounds. When I came to my back yard, I saw some tracks leading up to my kitchen window. At first I though it could have been some peeping tom, but I realized they were animal tracks. Like when an animal is in a full sprint. So I disregarded them because my neighbor said that Coyote and deer come thru in my back yard. Then as Sammy was finishing up her morning pee pee and kaki, I saw it. OMFG, this couldnt have been a Coyote. I've lived in NYC my entire life, and the only Coyote I've seen have been on TV and they look scrony. This was a strong tall beast that was looking right at me. No more than 200 feet separated us. A distance he/she would have traversed in seconds. I slowly pulled my dog towards me, and started to walk backwards towards the house. The animal dissapeared into the woods.

I have a few questions, Are there wolves here in Indianapolis? How dangerous are they? Why didn't my dog bark when the animal was there in plain sight? And if it wasn't a Wolf, how dangerous are Coyote?

There aren't many things I'm affraid of. But for that time until it dissapeared, my legs were shaking a little. It was an experience.
    Just because you own an oven, doesn't mean you know how to cook. Get trained!

Master
    there are no confirmed wolves in the wild in Indiana..
    coyote can be larger than you expect , and yes they can be a risk to pets.. usally not a risk to adults if only one coyote..

It may have been a loose dog..

I was only one large canine. Could have been a loose Siberian Husky, but just the other day a neighbor lost her pug and was driving around town looking for her. So I doubt it's from this neighborhood. Either way, a loose dog is just as dangerous as wolf or a coyote when it's hungry.

I remeber when we first moved into this house. The fridge wasn't working properly, and we had just gone food shopping. My lady, since it was cold out, had the bright idea to leave the stakes outside in our back yard. Needless to say, the next day, there was only one steak left. lol. I would have loved to see whatever ate them walk away with 7 steaks in it's tummy. He must have been sleepy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevlan View Post
    Why didn't my dog bark when the animal was there in plain sight?
    Because your dog is a useless POS?

Dogs like Labs and other working breeds have been known to attack a Grizzly to save their owner. Not barking at a Coyote in plain sight is close to Dog treason.

Perhaps he was trying to set you up? Let the Wolf-Dog get a shot at you. What you have there is s furry ornament and permanent child.
    Molon Labe, its more than just a T-shirt.

Coyotes have been cross breeding with ferral dogs for some time now. They are growing larger and more pack oriented.

They're getting more wolf-like every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoub View Post

Dogs like Labs and other working breeds have been known to attack a Grizzly to save their owner. Not barking at a Coyote in plain sight is close to Dog treason.

Perhaps he was trying to set you up? Let the Wolf-Dog get a shot at you. What you have there is s furry ornament and permanent child.
    LoL. Most likely, she's only 12 weeks old. And it's a lab.

Maybe she was upset about me locking her up at night while she learns to potty train as was thinking,"Master? I'll show you master you Bas****" lol. She didn't even look it's way. What a worthless mutt. Anyone wants a pure breed black lab?

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMonkey View Post
    Coyotes have been cross breeding with ferral dogs for some time now. They are growing larger and more pack oriented.

They're getting more wolf-like every year.
    Monkey, don't tell me that. Or maybe the next time I take the dog to walk, it'll be me who craps. It had to weight atleast 100 to 150 pounds. The Coyote's I see on TV usually weight like 50 to 75 pounds and look hungry and scrony. I could probablly kick one of those across the yard. But that one today? Hells to the no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoub View Post

I agree. He did this so he could sleep with his wife and drink his booze.

Did the animal leave any clear tracks in the snow? Wolf and coyote tracks are different. Not that I have any suspicion of it being a wolf.
    "Do not overthink it, gentlemen. It's only a gunfight, not an IRS tax audit." - Louis Awerbuck

Yeah, coyotes can get pretty big. Most around here are in that 25-30 pound range. They can get MUCH bigger, though. I think the record is nearly 70 pounds. The big ones, especially if a hybrid, look just like a small wolf. They would have no problem with you or your dog 1 on 1. A pack of them could be real trouble.

BTW: My father in law sees them on the canal and river all the time. They are actually pretty common in Indy.

Coyotes are supposed to weigh less than 30 lbs, less than 24 inches at the shoulder and travel in pairs or solitary.

The things we have in Indiana are a subspecies of the coyote that was originally introduced. A lot of people call them coy-bogs. They are much heavier, much taller, and tend to travel in packs.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast