• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    To the best of my knowledge, we don't have them in Northern Indiana. I hear of them in a few locations in the southern part of the State, but nothing in the North. Maybe I should say - yet...

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I think the only places that hogs are found in Indiana is around Bedford and in Warrick Co, all on private property. Though I could be wrong about that. I hear access is next to impossible.
    On another note I hear Ken Moody's operation in central Tenn. is pretty good.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    They do damage down here in Bedford. It wouldn't cost you much to put an ad in our paper offering to help farmers out, at no charge to them, in removing their hog problem. You would probably get one or two to invite you down.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Georgia quail plantations have year-long contracts with hog eradicators. You can shoot them all day long down there, no tags & no limits. I do not know if they will ever get the feral hog situation down there under control unless we see another depression. Then it will take a decade.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Anyone know of a good location? Preferably public land, WMA or park system.

There's publicly owned land all over northern Indiana and just over run with wild hogs. It's a secret program grain farmers use to get tax payer support but it's all kind of secret. Only politicians and executive level Farm Bureau executives know about it. You can recognize the public land by the Farm Bureau sign telling all the regular taxpayers to stay off but those signs hold no weight of law because it's really owned by the public. So long as you are openly carrying a hand gun the 2nd amendment gives you the right to hunt there.

You might try putting an ad in the paper around Ft Wayne or Chicago for private land to hunt them. Land owners just don't have clue or time to go out and kill them all and with ammunition being so expensive you would be doing them a favor. You may even get neighbors in to a bidding war to see who will pay you the most to get you to kill a few for them. At least they could give you gas money since you could just as easily hunt the Farm Bureau public land in northern Indiana.

I think they have a public wild hog hunt at the Dunes state park. You might stop in at the park office. You have ask for the manager and when he comes out wink and offer to shake hands with your LEFT hand so he will know you are in on the secret.

:rolleyes:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I thought it was a joke thread? This was serious? Public land in northern Indiana? Hog hunting in northern Indiana?

uh,huh, yeah right, go on, I may have been born at night but it wasn't LAST night.

I think some guy imported them to Gary IN and turned them loose in the sewers. He was gonna tap the lunch time market for big game hunting near large population centers so office workers wouldn't have to take a day off to go hunting.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Actually Jack, I had talked to a guy at WalMart that told me they were having a serious hog problem over in Elkhart County so I called around a bit wondering about signs of hogs, best times and places to hunt, and people to contact. I guess they got really bad around Goshen. I head out there with my dogs and a handful of various rifles and handguns. Most of the hog activity was down around CR34 usually for about 9 days in late July. I was a bit shocked by what I saw but it didn't slow my hunt down any. I really had to pick a careful shot from the top row of the show arena. I did pretty good, maimed a few hogs and only 1 kid.

I'd go again, some of you guys are welcome if you'd be interested.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    They do damage down here in Bedford. It wouldn't cost you much to put an ad in our paper offering to help farmers out, at no charge to them, in removing their hog problem. You would probably get one or two to invite you down.
    Really?
    I haven't lived here very long, but I figured there'd be plenty of people down here willing to help them out with their problems.

Heck, I'd go hog hunting if I found a place. I could always use some bacon! Know anybody specifically that is having problems?

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Really?
    I haven't lived here very long, but I figured there'd be plenty of people down here willing to help them out with their problems.

Heck, I'd go hog hunting if I found a place. I could always use some bacon! Know anybody specifically that is having problems?
    I've always heard somewhere close to the river in the Williams area.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Scotch or smoke ?

I own a number of farms in N. IN, have friends who own farms all over N. IN, and am a F.B. member. This is the first that I have heard any of this.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've always heard somewhere close to the river in the Williams area.

They are all on the north side of the river. Thickest up close to Crane. Over there in "the valley" on the SE corner of Crane there's plenty of public ground and it's just thick with hogs. Just drive along the gravel roads and ask any one you see. They'll point you toward the abandon corn fields, forrests and coal mines. People just walk away from their land around there all the time and leave it for the public to shoot up and do what ever they want.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    They are all on the north side of the river. Thickest up close to Crane. Over there in "the valley" on the SE corner of Crane there's plenty of public ground and it's just thick with hogs. Just drive along the gravel roads and ask any one you see. They'll point you toward the abandon corn fields, forrests and coal mines. People just walk away from their land around there all the time and leave it for the public to shoot up and do what ever they want.
    How does that work exactly?

Top Bottom