Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Plinker

Squirrel hunting with a .38 Special

Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question, but I have been wondering this for a while. Has anyone ever shot a squirrel with a .38 special?

The reason I ask is because I have .357 Marlin lever and I was thinking I could get even more use out of it if I load it with 38's and take it squirrel hunting. I checked the DNR hunting regulations and I couldn't find anything that said .38 specials are illegal. If someone knows something I don't about legallity, please let me know.

Thanks for the responses

seems rather overkill but i am sure it will do the job, why not just get a .22 or a pellet gun?

Quote Originally Posted by bamthetrashman View Post
    Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question, but I have been wondering this for a while. Has anyone ever shot a squirrel with a .38 special?

The reason I ask is because I have .357 Marlin lever and I was thinking I could get even more use out of it if I load it with 38's and take it squirrel hunting. I checked the DNR hunting regulations and I couldn't find anything that said .38 specials are illegal. If someone knows something I don't about legallity, please let me know.

Thanks for the responses
    Legal, yes. Necessary...not really but to each his own.

I say shoot them tree rats with whatever is available at the moment. The question is, do you Plan to eat them? If so, you are gonna have a mess tring to clean them. Even with head shots, that makes for a bloody mess. What's it gonna hurt to try?
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives".

Plinker
    I agree billyboy, I am just gonna try and see what happens. I do plan on eating them, but I have a feeling if I shoot them with a RN FP that there wouldn't be much, if any, expansion of the bullet, so there should just be a .38 inch hole in the squirrel.

I guess I have a summer project now... finding a low power .38 special load that shoots well.

Marksman
    Try factory .38 wadcutters,[not semi-wadcutters] if you dont reload. They're meant for max. accuracy, which you'll need, and loaded slow enough that they dont expand at all. Same or less meat damage as you'll see with a .22 h.v. hollowpoint. Big "if" will be accuracy from your individual gun.

I prefer to use the .416 Rigby for squirrel kill....er....hunting.

x10
    Its a great Idea it sharpens your skill on a nucience animal that can be eaten. When I was hunting with my 35 rem contender I had a super light load that used 158's and I hunted with those and you could save the hind legs for a meal so that just meant you had to kill extra's,
    An illegal alien, a Muslim and a Communist go into a bar.
    The bartender asks, "What can I get you, Mr. President?"

A while back I read an article in Backwoodsman magazine about hunting small game with a .38 special revolver. As mentioned above, the article recommended using wadcutters so as not to damage the meat.

Many years ago, I would hunt rabbit with my S&W model 14 using a light loaded wadcutter. The gun was extremely accurate and meat destruction was minimal. Most of the rabbit shots I took were sitting rabbitts along a railroad track roadbed. I did manage to hit a few runners from time to time. This was not a stunt as I was just a kid and the rabbit meat was a welcomed addition to a meager grocery budget. I could handload for very little as I cast free wheelweights for bullets and primer/powder was very cheap in those days. Good shooting.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast