Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Plinker

Squirrel hunting with a .38 Special

Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question, but I have been wondering this for a while. Has anyone ever shot a squirrel with a .38 special?

The reason I ask is because I have .357 Marlin lever and I was thinking I could get even more use out of it if I load it with 38's and take it squirrel hunting. I checked the DNR hunting regulations and I couldn't find anything that said .38 specials are illegal. If someone knows something I don't about legallity, please let me know.

Thanks for the responses

seems rather overkill but i am sure it will do the job, why not just get a .22 or a pellet gun?

Quote Originally Posted by bamthetrashman View Post
    Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question, but I have been wondering this for a while. Has anyone ever shot a squirrel with a .38 special?

The reason I ask is because I have .357 Marlin lever and I was thinking I could get even more use out of it if I load it with 38's and take it squirrel hunting. I checked the DNR hunting regulations and I couldn't find anything that said .38 specials are illegal. If someone knows something I don't about legallity, please let me know.

Thanks for the responses
    Legal, yes. Necessary...not really but to each his own.
    Do not "skid and skedaddle", if proper tools are at your disposal.

I say shoot them tree rats with whatever is available at the moment. The question is, do you Plan to eat them? If so, you are gonna have a mess tring to clean them. Even with head shots, that makes for a bloody mess. What's it gonna hurt to try?
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives".

Plinker
    I agree billyboy, I am just gonna try and see what happens. I do plan on eating them, but I have a feeling if I shoot them with a RN FP that there wouldn't be much, if any, expansion of the bullet, so there should just be a .38 inch hole in the squirrel.

I guess I have a summer project now... finding a low power .38 special load that shoots well.

Marksman
    Try factory .38 wadcutters,[not semi-wadcutters] if you dont reload. They're meant for max. accuracy, which you'll need, and loaded slow enough that they dont expand at all. Same or less meat damage as you'll see with a .22 h.v. hollowpoint. Big "if" will be accuracy from your individual gun.

I prefer to use the .416 Rigby for squirrel kill....er....hunting.

x10
    Its a great Idea it sharpens your skill on a nucience animal that can be eaten. When I was hunting with my 35 rem contender I had a super light load that used 158's and I hunted with those and you could save the hind legs for a meal so that just meant you had to kill extra's,
    An illegal alien, a Muslim and a Communist go into a bar.
    The bartender asks, "What can I get you, Mr. President?"

A while back I read an article in Backwoodsman magazine about hunting small game with a .38 special revolver. As mentioned above, the article recommended using wadcutters so as not to damage the meat.

Many years ago, I would hunt rabbit with my S&W model 14 using a light loaded wadcutter. The gun was extremely accurate and meat destruction was minimal. Most of the rabbit shots I took were sitting rabbitts along a railroad track roadbed. I did manage to hit a few runners from time to time. This was not a stunt as I was just a kid and the rabbit meat was a welcomed addition to a meager grocery budget. I could handload for very little as I cast free wheelweights for bullets and primer/powder was very cheap in those days. Good shooting.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast