• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    How much land is enough to hunt? To my knowledge, I don't believe that there is a legal requirement. I am wanting to hunt for the first time this year, and I just want to know what you on INGO consider a minimum. This would be private land. I know I would have to get permission to track on adjacent property, but what would you consider "enough?" Thanks.

5 acres?
    20 acres?
    100 acres?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    When I was pretty young I was restricted to a 5 acre plot behind the house.

I managed to kill plenty of deer on that peice of land. I think it all depends on where the land is and what is already living on the ground.

btw 50 yds in every direction of the stand should do the trick!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Provided you shoot the animal while its on your property, and you can reasonably expect to be able to track and recover the animal w/out tresspassing (read get permission first) then there is no minimun.

If you want to keep the animal on your property after its been hit, and can be sure to only take an ethical sure shot, i would say most game once shot in the vitals will not run over half a mile. so whatever it takes to be sure the animal doesnt leave your property.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have killed a couple nice ones on small properties.
    The problem with hunting deer on small properties is not letting the deer know they are being hunted. Getting in undetected and leaving undetected is important on any property but on small properties it's more important. Deer can pattern hunters faster than hunters pattern deer on small properties.
    One of my properties is an 8 acre woods bordered by a county road and a state highway. I will not hunt it if the wind is not right. So far I have killed a 145 and a 177 and a couple of does off of it. I don't hunt it a lot and then its usually the perimeter.
    Big deer like areas where they are not disturbed especially when the lead starts flying.
    If it has been overlooked, or not hunted, it could be your "honey hole".

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have killed dozens of deer on a 1 acre plot of woods at my sisters. To this day I always consider that my go to spot. I have permission to hunt on thousands of acres and the only place I can guarentee myself a deer is in this woods. I say that if it has trees and is legal and safe, hunt it. If you dont see anything after a while then pack it up, but I would never sell a place short because it is small. Best of luck with hunting this year by the way.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Just like prime real estate, and others have said, location, location, location! If you can find a place connecting bedding and feeding areas, hunt it, especially during the rut, but only when the wind is right. Size doesn't matter. If it's not safe to gun hunt it in your opinion, take a bow, but don't let the size discourage you and be careful of your approach and sit all day.

I used to hunt a long fence row that wasn't more than 20' wide and had fields on both sides and a tangle of greenbriar and multi-flora at the edges. There was only 1 tree you could get a stand in in the whole 1/4 mile length. You felt naked sitting out there, but it connected two large blocks of woods. Great spot with the right wind for cruisers.

Dirty Steve

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    IMHO, it's all about what's on the property and how far it may travel.

For squirrel, 5 acres is plenty. They're all over the place and when you shoot them they generally sty where they lay.

For deer, they may take off wounded if you don't get a great shot on 'em and you'll have to track 'em for a while. There's not much wiggle room on 5 acres.

Rabbits - if you have them - are like squirrel - once shot they stay put.

Pheasant, birds - 5 acres can be too small if you're shooting over into another property or they are way up high - like ducks.

Depends on what you're hunting.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    ..btw 50 yds in every direction of the stand should do the trick!

Yep.

No matter the size of the land just make sure you know what lies behind your intended target

Absolutely.

IMHO, it's all about what's on the property and how far it may travel. Depends on what you're hunting.

Deer.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am hoping that some things will come together, and I will have 20 acres of woods/brush to hunt that is surrounded by corn fields on three sides.

Top Bottom