• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Recently on another forum I frequent a topic came about where a guy was told by dnr that because he has a fishing license he therefore waved his right to unreasonable search and seizure, and that he could lawfully search his boat, bags, and truck because they were all involved even if there was no reason to. Now this was not in Indiana but it got me interested in the subject because I do a lot of fishing. I have also seen on some warden shows where they pull over and search vehicles that they believe have been out hunting. Is this legal in Indiana? Others chimed in that they had even heard of dnr being able to check houses if they were tipped off about going over limits etc, with out a warrant. Im hardly ever bothered by dnr but from what i hear there is a new young gun looking to make a name for himself in these parts and ruffling a lot of feathers with the old timers. So i think it would be good to know for sure what my rights are. Anyone with any insight that can help out is appreciated:ingo:, thanks!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    All wildlife is "owned" by the state, and your license to harvest is issued under several conditions, one of which includes the ability of the state to retrieve by whatever means necessary, any of the "states" game that you harvest illegally.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dunno... As I recall, (and could very well be wrong) VUPDBlue is DNR... Paging Mr. Blue, white courtesy phone!

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Recently on another forum I frequent a topic came about where a guy was told by dnr that because he has a fishing license he therefore waved his right to unreasonable search and seizure, and that he could lawfully search his boat, bags, and truck because they were all involved even if there was no reason to. Now this was not in Indiana but it got me interested in the subject because I do a lot of fishing. I have also seen on some warden shows where they pull over and search vehicles that they believe have been out hunting. Is this legal in Indiana? Others chimed in that they had even heard of dnr being able to check houses if they were tipped off about going over limits etc, with out a warrant. Im hardly ever bothered by dnr but from what i hear there is a new young gun looking to make a name for himself in these parts and ruffling a lot of feathers with the old timers. So i think it would be good to know for sure what my rights are. Anyone with any insight that can help out is appreciated:ingo:, thanks!
    I had it happen to me a few years back,I was behind TipSaw Lake in Perry Co. this guy was a real pain and just come out of know where.He ask what I was doing,told him hunting tree rats and prepping a deer blind and he said when I saw him that I moved out of his sight so he was going check me out and that's what he did looked everywhere for tree rats that I did not have.What I was getting was my dogs shock collar control so he would not leave as loves people a little to much and didn't want him to get shot.I know what he was looking for and was not game (DRUGS?) He knew I had a lifetime hunting and ccw before I got them out to show him and wanted to know why my 1911 was cock and locked,told him its made to be carried that way.The guy before him was real nice guy ask what you were doing if you had any luck or saw anything and be safe and be on his way.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think the state of PN had a case go thru the courts about the game wardens search and seizure rights on private property.

something to the effect of 5 th amendment right and property rights.

my google foo is low todAy.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    license or not...a conservation officer doesn't need a warrant to search for possible poached animals or illegal hunting/trapping/fishing gear.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    A CO came up the driveway of my parents farm quite a few years ago. Told dad he wanted to look around for signs of illegal hunting. Dad said no, CO said he didn't need his permission and was going to go look anyway. Dad went inside the house and came out with some targets and handed them to the CO. CO asks what they are for. Dad says "So you know what I'm shooting at."

CO left and never came back.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I cant remember for sure but i seem to recall reading in criminal justice class that no probable cause is needed. I also seem to remember that having a fishing/hunting license is like a drivers license in that it is your consent to be searched in some way like a BAC test in driving

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just remember, CO's are State Police officers and trained more than any other police force in various skills.

Their reach is pretty broad.

NYPDBlue is IMPD, IIRC.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Just remember, CO's are State Police officers and trained more than any other police force in various skills.

Their reach is pretty broad.

NYPDBlue is IMPD, IIRC.

Mmmm even though the DNR is a state agency, CO's are not officers of, or associated with, the Indiana State Police.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CO's can search for any illegal "poaching" items, and can check your harvest to make sure it's legit. That's about it though.

Once again, I reserve the right to be dead wrong, but I believe they also have authority (and training) to issue moving violations as well.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Once again, I reserve the right to be dead wrong, but I believe they also have authority (and training) to issue moving violations as well.

yep you're right. They can do all the other state level law enforcement in addition to the game laws

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    My nephew got busted by a CO for smoking a little wacky weed way out in the sticks down by the river . Not a big deal really but had to do,the whole court and fine thing.

Top Bottom