Animal Identification (Bobcat/Mountain Lion)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mister.Meow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I live in Southern Indiana near Madison, IN. I've setup a trail camera and in May I got some pics that definitely appear to be a bobcat due to its bobbed tail. (The month and day is correct in the time stamp, but the year is incorrect - these were taken in 2014)

HeDwxQEO

fZy8tiYK

CmUYQtkO

YGDFUN18

UwocOpl9

XRSVbAWg

I had turned the camera around on the tree so it is facing up the trail. I was hoping to catch it's face. Several months later I got these pics. These pics have me really confused. The face and body look like a mountain lion but the prominent white spots on the ears look like a bobcat. As far as I know, mountain lions don't have white spots on their ears. I've done some rough estimates and I believe the critter in these next 3 pics is roughly 1.5' tall.

DeNln3OH

ID2pfqQ9

IWHE3wp5

Anybody have any guesses on what this animal may be and why?

You can see the full resolution pics here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/z8y9cjg7cn41mmu/AAAL5GVRfxhGwpjnwiihKhNJa

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    1000% a bobcat. I have been getting hundreds of pics on my trail cameras over the past few yrs in Orange and Martin Co.

Greenedog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Nice pics! :yesway: We've been getting trailcam pics of them here in Greene County for the past 4 or 5 years. My oldest son even captured one on video a few years back while deer hunting...
    [video=youtube;gvrGDNHlPtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvrGDNHlPtM[/video]

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    What do you guys think that Cat weighs???

IMHO, the cat coming toward the camera weighs 19-21 pounds in the photo. Very healthy animal.

Woody, last I heard the DNR didn't care to hear anymore calls about bobcats unless they were dead. If it would expedite a limited season, I'd be willing to wear their hotline out for a while. They're picking up a couple road kills a month here locally (22/yr last yr). I'm trying to pay attention to habitat that holds mature toms... figure it will be useful knowledge down the road.

Mister.Meow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Scottsburg
    The first pics of the cat walking away, I agree - definite bobcat. The one's I'm asking about and can't make up my mind on are the last 3 with the cat walking towards the camera. I can't see the tail so can't use the that. The ears and face are shaped more like a mountain lion, plus the tufts of fur are not easily visible on the "cheeks". However, you can see white spots on the ears which make me say its a bobcat. Plus, my gut feel is that it's a bobcat - just wanted to see what opinions everyone else had on the matter!

I did contact the DNR and got a response. The lady said she'd forward the pics but never heard anything after that.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I saw my very first bobcat last deer season, I watched a rabbit come running past my stand at full speed and hide in some brush, it wasn't long after a very young bobcat came trotting through and ran the rabbit out. Was very exciting to watch!

the one I saw was much smaller than yours though.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    The first pics of the cat walking away, I agree - definite bobcat. The one's I'm asking about and can't make up my mind on are the last 3 with the cat walking towards the camera. I can't see the tail so can't use the that. The ears and face are shaped more like a mountain lion, plus the tufts of fur are not easily visible on the "cheeks". However, you can see white spots on the ears which make me say its a bobcat. Plus, my gut feel is that it's a bobcat - just wanted to see what opinions everyone else had on the matter!

I did contact the DNR and got a response. The lady said she'd forward the pics but never heard anything after that.

They are bobcat as well, look at the ears, especially the last one with spots on the ears.

Top Bottom