Who's making the best bait casters these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looks like I'm going to be taking a bass fishing trip in the not too distant future. Been a long time since I did any serious largemouth hunting and my equipment is lacking to say the least. I'm good on rods (have a couple of St Croix) and a Quantam PT spinning reel that I love. The only bait casters I've got are a couple of the Abu Garcia 5000 series that I use for trolling up in Canada, never been fond of casting with them. So who is making a good low pro bait caster now? Diawa was a pretty big player last I was paying attention but like I said, that was years ago. I'll be making a trip to Gander Mountain this week to check them out but thought I'd get some opinions before I go. I typically use spinning for soft plastic work but it sounds like we'll be tossing crank baits and flipping so I need a good caster.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I just re-fitted this year at the Lafayette store.

I got a Shimano Caenan bait caster and a Pflueger spinning reel. I bought Gander Mountain house brand rods, which worked just fine. I did look longingly at the St. Croix rods.:D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got two St Croix rods which have needed to go back for repair for a few years now, I just haven't gotten it done yet. My Dad or Brother (don't recall which) snapped the end off of one of my casting rods and the ceramic came out of the tip of one of my spinning rods. They're very nice but priced accordingly.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I haven't purchased anything new in a while myself either, but largemouth fish quite a bit. I own some older quantum, Shimano and Daiwa. I do have a Lew's speed spool that someone gave me last year as they were getting out of baitcasters. I've fished that and one of my Quantum's all year, and really like it. Just go look for something that fits you and is in your budget.

If you want to check out some high end stuff, Honey Creek Tackle in Bargersville has some nice stuff.

My son picked up a new Bass Pro branded reel earlier this year, and it has been working well for him.

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a few Lews bait caster reels that are easy to use and are very good quality for the price. Check them out, I dont think you will need to look elsewhere.

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yes they are. They make low profile bait casters now very different from the older Lew Childer round reels. The lower priced reels are good for starting out while the tournament series reels are very nice, imo..

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    The thing with fishing reels is you get what you pay for. If you don't spend at least 100.00 for a reel, your not going to get a very good one. I prefer ABU Garcia Orra reels. They have seven ball bearings and are very smooth. Rods don't make as much difference. I like medium heavy rods for worm fishing, medium for spinnerbaits and crankbaits.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I did look longingly at the St. Croix rods.:D
    He he he ha ha ha...............I won't say anything but if you need some pics to look at.........longingly. Let me know.

For BC's, I always start with Abu then Shimano. Daiwa is good too. Now as for your 5000's, I caught dinner this morning on one before I went to work but yeah, these new reels are much nicer.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I like my Abu's when trolling for big lakers and pike but to cast one all day is a chore, my hands are average size at best and they're a bit too big to be comfortable. They are like having a winch when you get a big boy on though.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I like Revo SXs for freshwater stuff, mainly because they have a great drag to weight ratio. You can get more in a palm size reel but you gotta give up a lot of weight.

For salt where I want loads of drag, Avet.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I like my Abu's when trolling for big lakers and pike but to cast one all day is a chore, my hands are average size at best and they're a bit too big to be comfortable. They are like having a winch when you get a big boy on though.

The Abu 4600 is a smaller reel but just as solid and dependable as the 5000 and 5500 series. I bait cast all day long with the 4500 (no thumb bar) and don't get tired at all. They'll fit the smaller to medium hands great. I've got one you're welcome to try out if needed. I'm in Southport daily.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You kids. (Bill Cosby voice I walked to school, uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow voice). I started in 1974 on a 5001c (lefty) and of course added more and 6001's too, then bought several of the newer ones in the 90's, the 5501's, much easier to palm and cast. I do agree, casting all day now is not the same for me. I am turning 51 soon and my current plan is any rod built before 1990 is being rotated out into my collection, except 2, and I am adding a few lighter weight BC's.

I have a light weight rig right now that is a fairly heavy action for its length, running an Abu with 14lb test fire line and I use it as a light tackle Musky rig in the river. I also have two new 7-7.5' L and UL spinning rods that again are amazingly light weight. I recently caught about a 15lb Northern on the Light rod with 6lb test, 1/8h ounce spinner bait and NO leader. The shallow, rocky water helped me win that battle. All of these rods are from Elk River Custom rods and have cork handles but the much lighter weight of the newer rods helps my hands and wrists and I have more then my share of injuries and nerve damage. By using Spinning rods a bit more, it gives me a break from the BC's and overall I am going more and more with lighter tackle. I have used 7'+ spinning rods for over 30 years. I think they are hot these days because more people realize a quality, longer, lighter action rod gives them the ability to fight larger fish with lighter tackle.

I have to say, after handling the new St. Croix Legend Extremes with their new grip, it was amazing. The reduction in overall weight is something to experience. I don't find it worth paying $350-$400 for the rod when I can get similar rods from Elk River for $100-$250 that are almost as light but I wish Elk River had a grip like that. IM sent

Last edited:

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    Like said up thread, you get what you pay for. If you're not spending at least in the $100 range, you will be disappointed, or, not knowing any better, you might get frustrated with subpar equipment. Lew's makes great reels, Quantum, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Daiwa etc. The Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier is a great $100 reel. An important aspect is to determine if you want a reel for a specific task or all around reel. There are centrifugal brakes, magnetic brakes, combo brakes and different gear ratios that are better for crankbaits vs jigging. Then, you need to match the correct action of your rod to that specific task. A lot of it boils down to personal preference and how in depth you want to get. Here's some good links to look at, a couple of years old but good information:

5 Low-Cost Baitcaster Fishing Reels for 2011 « Wired2Fish

6 Rod and Reel Bass Fishing System: Reels « Wired2Fish

6 Rod and Reel Bass Fishing System | Rods « Wired2Fish

Also consider right or left handed:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...39730-your-baitcasters-right-left-handed.html

For general use, Bass Pro Qualifier reel 6.4:1 ratio coupled to a 6'6" medium heavy rod, or whatever!

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I won't have time to hit up a Bass Po Shops so I'm going to head to Gander Mountain after work today and see what they've got to offer. My budget is no more than $200, I learned a long time ago that quality is worth paying for and buying junk makes me miserable.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I ended up with a Revo SX. They had one Lew's model there but very limited info on it and no spool brake other than the mechanical. Should work out fine, feels great in the hand and is smooth. Been a few years so I'll probably spend a good amount of time working on untangling the birds nests. Thanks for the info guys.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Like said up thread, you get what you pay for. If you're not spending at least in the $100 range, you will be disappointed, or, not knowing any better, you might get frustrated with subpar equipment. Lew's makes great reels, Quantum, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Daiwa etc. The Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier is a great $100 reel. An important aspect is to determine if you want a reel for a specific task or all around reel. There are centrifugal brakes, magnetic brakes, combo brakes and different gear ratios that are better for crankbaits vs jigging. Then, you need to match the correct action of your rod to that specific task. A lot of it boils down to personal preference and how in depth you want to get. Here's some good links to look at, a couple of years old but good information:

5 Low-Cost Baitcaster Fishing Reels for 2011 « Wired2Fish

6 Rod and Reel Bass Fishing System: Reels « Wired2Fish

6 Rod and Reel Bass Fishing System | Rods « Wired2Fish

Also consider right or left handed:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...39730-your-baitcasters-right-left-handed.html

For general use, Bass Pro Qualifier reel 6.4:1 ratio coupled to a 6'6" medium heavy rod, or whatever!

Great info!

Top Bottom