Looking for a 22/410 combo for hunting, which ones are good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm thinking about buying a 22lr/410 shotgun combo. I know everyone is going to say the Springfield M6 Scout is the best and it probably, but those are hard to find and too much $$ when they are found. I'm open to anything, but I definitely want the 22lr as the rifle. If there's a 22/20ga or 22/12ga I'm open to that also.

Here's the options I'm aware of:

1.) Springfield M6 & clones are hard to find and lots of $$ when found.
    2.) Chiappa double badger would probably fit the bill perfectly except that it's a Chiappa. I've bought a little badger and had nothing but problems from it.
    3.) Savage model 42 seems to be an option, but I don't hear much on them. I'm a savage guy and I've never really been impressed with their 42.

What else is out there that I should be looking at?

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    I found an NEF Versa Pack that comes with a 22lr and a 410 bbl. Granted you have to swap the bbls but it comes in a youth length synthetic stock thats not too short for me to shoot. I picked it up for the kids but i like shooting it too. Its light and packs/carries well and you can scope the 22 if you so choose. IIRC it was less than $150. Its the official small game gun this year.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    None.

I also disagree with your preference. Set up a .22 handgun and carry a shotgun. You can sling your long gun and draw your handgun for a stalk, or even set the long gun down.

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    None.

I also disagree with your preference. Set up a .22 handgun and carry a shotgun. You can sling your long gun and draw your handgun for a stalk, or even set the long gun down.

I can agree with this too. I've done it. One caveat is that some ppl cant shoot handguns well enough to harvest small critters.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah, disagree sounds harsh but I know for a fact teddy sucks with a shotgun, he said so once. Keeping that in mind he must have handgun and rifle skills. In a kinder gentler internet I should have said "my preference is a handgun and shotgun, but I don't suck with either one."

Plus it is so easy to rig a .22 handgun now versus 30-40 years ago. Ruger 22/45 Lite with rail on top, add small MOA red dot and a can in your pocket.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Zoub brings up a good point about my history with the shotgun. There have been some dark days in my past until I met and fell in love with my 11-87. That's why with any other shotgun/rifle combo it'd be good for me to have a straight shooting 2nd option already attached to the gun. I see what you guys are saying though and it makes a good point. I've already got a 22lr handgun that I like, and a shotgun I can run and shoot well. I just hoping to find something in a lighter and more compact combination of the two. Maybe someday those springfield M6's will be back to a more reasonable price point.

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    If you have your heart set on a 2 bbl i believe the older Savage combo guns are probably the best value of what you listed. Tho they may be hard to find in your preferred chamberings. Whats your opinion of the rifled chamber adaptors? It shouldnt be hard to put sights on a 410 single and get fair accuracy out of a 22 insert at huntng ranges.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never used the adapters so I really can'y say. From what I've read & watched they are hunting accurate in heavy woods distances.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    The older Savages and Stevens are what I would look for. They made 22 over 410, 20 and maybe even 12. I know they made 22 mag versions in 20. And center fire over 12 gage.
    the prices seem to be climbing on these old guns. I have seen asking prices from $375 and up. I got mine for Christmas 35 years ago, used my Dad paid $75.

While neat old guns, mine is heavy. I haven't weighed it but would guess it to close to my 870 or a little heavier. That is my biggest complaint with it.

i have 3 of the 22/410's in my safe. Mine, my younger brothers, and my Nephews that was passed to him from my Dad. All are different generations of the same gun.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    IIRC, 500 Guns has a used one for sale on the floor there. I am not sure of the make/model as I was not interested in them enough to look at it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Zoub brings up a good point about my history with the shotgun. There have been some dark days in my past until I met and fell in love with my 11-87. That's why with any other shotgun/rifle combo it'd be good for me to have a straight shooting 2nd option already attached to the gun. I see what you guys are saying though and it makes a good point. I've already got a 22lr handgun that I like, and a shotgun I can run and shoot well. I just hoping to find something in a lighter and more compact combination of the two. Maybe someday those springfield M6's will be back to a more reasonable price point.
    Here are two combos I use a lot right now, both shotguns stand in a corner with my vest and hat right next to it, ready to go. Pick a shotgun, pick a handgun.

1100 Special Field OR 1950's era 311 SxS cut to 22". The 1100 is 21" but because of the receiver is actually a few inches longer then the 311. Both are 12 gauge, carry easily in the dense crap I hunt and swing nicely on Grouse. Because of the wolves & bears and the fact I hunt with dogs I carry a Glock because bird shot wont cut it but you could easily slip a .22 handgun on your belt instead. I also have a bag that will carry my gear, ammo and one handgun easily. I can stuff a .22 handgun in it as well but only one could be quickly drawn. I keep a Ruger .22 in a holster ready to go as well in case I want to carry it.

Another thing I learned last year is that when SHTF in dense cover, 30 yards is a long way to be from your dog and what works is to drop everything and go in with the handgun. If you want to see pics of this crap, I mean gear, for inspiration I will snap some this weekend. Raining now, so I wont be out until tomorrow and Sunday.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Here are two combos I use a lot right now, both shotguns stand in a corner with my vest and hat right next to it, ready to go. Pick a shotgun, pick a handgun.

1100 Special Field OR 1950's era 311 SxS cut to 22". The 1100 is 21" but because of the receiver is actually a few inches longer then the 311. Both are 12 gauge, carry easily in the dense crap I hunt and swing nicely on Grouse. Because of the wolves & bears and the fact I hunt with dogs I carry a Glock because bird shot wont cut it but you could easily slip a .22 handgun on your belt instead. I also have a bag that will carry my gear, ammo and one handgun easily. I can stuff a .22 handgun in it as well but only one could be quickly drawn. I keep a Ruger .22 in a holster ready to go as well in case I want to carry it.

Another thing I learned last year is that when SHTF in dense cover, 30 yards is a long way to be from your dog and what works is to drop everything and go in with the handgun. If you want to see pics of this crap, I mean gear, for inspiration I will snap some this weekend. Raining now, so I wont be out until tomorrow and Sunday.

I disagree, I carry a .357 mag because the glock is inferior to a wheel gun in accuracy. I also frown on the 12ga because it doesn't string the shot pattern as well on a sitting squirrel in cover as a .410. (Equally potatoe/patatoe argument)

This fellow lives in Indiana and this is the great outdoors not survival I suppose he could run in to a meth head which is also 410 compatible

savage gets my vote. I mean maybe he wants to shoot a shotgun better...

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think if I ever proceed with this I'm going to look for a savage 24 22/410. The old school savage 24 has parts made of iron instead of all the plastic on the newer 42's. If I come across one in serviceable condition at the right price I may just have to jump on it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I disagree, I carry a .357 mag because the glock is inferior to a wheel gun in accuracy. I also frown on the 12ga because it doesn't string the shot pattern as well on a sitting squirrel in cover as a .410. (Equally potatoe/patatoe argument)

This fellow lives in Indiana and this is the great outdoors not survival I suppose he could run in to a meth head which is also 410 compatible

savage gets my vote. I mean maybe he wants to shoot a shotgun better...
    Then he should buy a .410 shotgun, I used a Winchester Model 42 and a .22lr wheel gun in Indiana in 1977 and killed enough game to feed as many people as I wanted.

For variety I would swap out the M42 for a .44mag Contender with hotshot shells and carry a Marlin 39a. Both, very heavy guns.

Then in the early 80's I upgraded to a Ruger MKII Target with bull barrel, open sights on squirrel to 25, with a B-Square mount and scope to 50. I could carry the scope and mount if needed as it was a return to zero mount.

Today if I wanted multi-species in one hunt and the lightest guns possible I would carry an 18" 20 gauge with vent rib and a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a can in my pack.

Nobody learns to shoot anything better with a compromise gun that is overly heavy and underly capable. Same applies to a .410. Lots of us learned on one, but I never teach a new shooter on one now, I know better.

Another light weight option is a Chipmunk rifle. May not be macho, but stuffs easily in a day pack and gives you a full 16" barrel and you can mount optics on it. I keep one by the back door to cover my garden and have been known to toss it in my pack when carrying a shotgun. Whe you think about it, it is basically a 2.5lb handgun with shoulder stock. There are lots of ways to go, I own all of the above, and other light weight options that kill too. NO way in hell I would want .410 in a serious combo, even though I have killed plenty of game with one. Just me and my hands on experience. There is also nothing wrong with a light weight 12 gauge because you can adjust performance of the gun with ammo, same way I can run 1 1/4 oz loads in 20 gauge.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    600px-Young-ones-ernest-3.jpg

600px-Young-ones-ernest-2.jpg

Young-Ones-Movie-Poster.jpg

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    before you buy, check out their weights. I once ended up with two in a 20 gun trade, and brother let me tell you, either one was HEAVY enough to use as boat anchors. other than that they were useful, spiffy little guns. I hunted with both of them but sold them both shortly there after. Oh, they were both Savage Model 24Cs.

Top Bottom