• ...and so much more!
  • sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    coyote calls/ LIGHTS

wanting to do some coyote hunting this year. I have a mouth call and my bro has a electronic i can borrow. what are you guys using? how long do you call before you try a new location? thanks
    Got this dude while dad was finishing up a corn field, now I'm hooked!

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    We use a FoxPro Wildfire electronic call with a wiggler.... Works great.... We set about 20 to 30 mins a set if nothing comes in we move on... We seen 5 yotes today between 3 guys while deer hunt'n...

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I suggest starting out with hand calls that you already have, learn the basics of setting up and getting them killed before you dump too much money into equipment. You may find there's a lot of work involved in getting coyotes to show up for the shot. There are a lot of electronic calls collecting dust after guys realize how tough it can be, keep an eye on craigslist around March.

Rush county is a great place to call coyotes. I've got an excellent loop of property through Rush, Hancock & Shelby counties that produce a truck load of coyotes every year. I ran a different loop through central Indiana last week and worked extremely hard to finish with 20 called & killed coyotes. Wounded 2, missed 3, could've-would've-should've shot one more if I'd been on the ball. I expect the Rush County area to produce just as many when I get back that way, sounds like there is a good crop up there this year if I can beat the Amish drives.

Here's my partner for the day with 7 I shot in a few hours Friday morning. It takes a lot of time, energy, property and experience to call and kill a significant number of coyotes in Indiana... It's a lot easier out west as you can tell by the TV shows!

IMG_20141114_044410_186_zpsnjie1hs3.jpg

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Well I got done shelling corn and decided to try calling tonight. Just used a mouth call and wow that was fun. 1st set had one coming in two minutes in. He came in and circled down wind and got about 75 yard before I shot. I realize now I need a better light. I missed. Couldn't see that well through scope. Was using a knockoff surefire type mounted light on the side rail of an ar. It wasn't centered to my scope. Any suggestions on mounted lights? Should I use mounted since I normally hunt alone? Saw 2 more tonight, got a coon. Also, on the set where I got the coon, had a six point buck walk out and walk straight in to about 40 yards. Fun stuff. Thanks. SB.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I suggest starting out with hand calls that you already have, learn the basics of setting up and getting them killed before you dump too much money into equipment. You may find there's a lot of work involved in getting coyotes to show up for the shot. There are a lot of electronic calls collecting dust after guys realize how tough it can be, keep an eye on craigslist around March.

Rush county is a great place to call coyotes. I've got an excellent loop of property through Rush, Hancock & Shelby counties that produce a truck load of coyotes every year. I ran a different loop through central Indiana last week and worked extremely hard to finish with 20 called & killed coyotes. Wounded 2, missed 3, could've-would've-should've shot one more if I'd been on the ball. I expect the Rush County area to produce just as many when I get back that way, sounds like there is a good crop up there this year if I can beat the Amish drives.

Here's my partner for the day with 7 I shot in a few hours Friday morning. It takes a lot of time, energy, property and experience to call and kill a significant number of coyotes in Indiana... It's a lot easier out west as you can tell by the TV shows!

IMG_20141114_044410_186_zpsnjie1hs3.jpg
    Dang! Impressive haul. I live a few miles south of rush co. and have a buttload of coyotes. I've called in a few and shot at one while deer hunting. Missed every time. Havent got the hang of it yet. I was told by a guy who's pretty good at it that I was educating them when I first tried calling them a few years ago by not setting up correctly with wind/location. His comment was "deer are stupid, coyotes are smart". My opinion...It's tougher than it looks on tv!

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    I was using a cheapy distress call I bought a few years ago at rural king. It's loud and raspy and then has a quieter squeaker on it for when they are closer. Worked on that first one. I did download an app on my phone with them on it but I think you would need a loud speaker, the phone just isn't close to loud enough unless there close. Just search predator calls in the App Store there are a few free ones. I would agree learning the setups is one of the biggest learning curves. Wind and distance seems very important.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Anyone actually tried the downloadable MP3 files and play them off your phone?

I used to play them with the phone attached to a loudspeaker. These days a light call with all the sounds that are needed, with a remote speaker and decent battery life, can be had for less than the loudspeaker alone.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    I have had great fun using an old Olt mouth call. Dan Thompson PC2 has also proven to get fur. Last year I splurged with the help of some Cabela's points and bought a Fox Pro. Its so fun it should almost be illegal! I like to get into my spot...sit for 15 minutes or so for things to calm down. Call for about a 30 minute set. Move on. Try to put the call up wind if you use the electronic. Keep your eyes peeled down wind. Even with an electronic caller is it good to throw in a mouth call once in a while to make the sound change direction. Randy Anderson has some DVDs out ...Calling Coyotes II is a good one to start with that shows both hand and electronic calling. Have fun...post pics!

Top Bottom