• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    "Penalties for shooting an eagle can be up to 60 days in jail and a fine of $500 -$1000 depending if the case is sent to State or Federal court."

That is nowhere near enough in my opinion. 6 months of hard labor and $10,000 seems more fitting.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    They're chop off your gear for killing an eagle.

f4h5jcK.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hope they nail the scumbag who did it.
    Killing any raptor carries stiff penalties.
    Bald eagle killing is even more severely punished, correctly so.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Who was this jackass who killed this beautiful bird that is our national bird. You see it everywhere in from the Marine to CIA headquater.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Low life bastards! I don't understand why anyone would even want to shoot one.

I"m not saying they should have shot it, but as to "why", they are getting plentiful in some areas and they are feeding on poultry and other small farm animals.

I suspect the government will keep them on the endangered list longer than necessary

In Alaska, they are (as I understand it) the only thing the farmers can't legally shoot when protecting livestock. And in Alaska they are common.

.... or the guy may have just been a jerk

Definitely a big risk to shoot one.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I"m not saying they should have shot it, but as to "why", they are getting plentiful in some areas and they are feeding on poultry and other small farm animals.

I suspect the government will keep them on the endangered list longer than necessary

In Alaska, they are (as I understand it) the only thing the farmers can't legally shoot when protecting livestock. And in Alaska they are common.

Are you f'ing kidding me?

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Wish I knew who did it I would turn them in and they could keep there reward.... That is BS to kill a eagle... I hope karma bites them in the ass...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Nope, they're not endangered anymore, nor threatened. They've been removed from the list. Still, it IS the national bird, and should be protected, though I imagine that at some point somebody is going to have to cull their numbers if their numbers get so large that they start in on people's farm animals.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Should be 5 years mandatory minimum, and $100,000 fine. Confiscation of any and all assets to make good on the fine.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    "Purposefully, for no good reason"? :scratch:

"Mauling my child" and similar scenarios would be "good reason".

Same as defending oneself and those in the immediate area against other two-legged predators.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Nope, they're not endangered anymore, nor threatened. They've been removed from the list. Still, it IS the national bird, and should be protected, though I imagine that at some point somebody is going to have to cull their numbers if their numbers get so large that they start in on people's farm animals.
    thanks for the clarification. I didn't know they were even removed from "threatened"

I saw a juvenile kill one of my hens (well I saw it on top of the hen right afterward.) I was surprised that it didn't take off until I got within 12' of it. Some people claim they have even killed small calves, which I have trouble believing.

It was my understanding that before the DDT threat, the threat to eagles wasn't so much that people were shooting them a lot, but that we were competing for land, prey, etc much as we have with wolves and bears.

My 14 yr old daughter was so sad about the hen I think her words were something like "I hope it falls from the sky, and its guts land in the chicken run so the chickens can finish it" :naughty:

No worries, though, she hasn't had the shotgun..... ;)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    thanks for the clarification. I didn't know they were even removed from "threatened"

I saw a juvenile kill one of my hens (well I saw it on top of the hen right afterward.) I was surprised that it didn't take off until I got within 12' of it. Some people claim they have even killed small calves, which I have trouble believing.

It was my understanding that before the DDT threat, the threat to eagles wasn't so much that people were shooting them a lot, but that we were competing for land, prey, etc much as we have with wolves and bears.

My 14 yr old daughter was so sad about the hen I think her words were something like "I hope it falls from the sky, and its guts land in the chicken run so the chickens can finish it" :naughty:

No worries, though, she hasn't had the shotgun..... ;)

I've seen a few flying around over the years, and when you first see them, in the wild, it's actually quite a sight. It is a majestic bird. I think they were down to 500 or 600 nesting pairs, but are now well over 9000.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think most Eagles that are shot are due to a combination of idiots with guns and boredom. Same guys who shoot road signs..........with homes in the line of fire behind the signs.

On the other hand, based on what I have seen, Eagles can kill fairly large animals. So a lot of typical domestic pets and animals are at risk. For us it is a lifestyle choice and we occasionally even have Eagles on our roof top, trying to dive bomb young ducks and geese. Even the Geese can deter the Eagles. Then again I saw an Eagle kill and adult goose too so it evens out. Before a cat goes out I release the security squad, my Labs, and then will leave the big pup out on a lead.

Past few weeks it became obvious he can scent and spot Eagles. I thought the damn wolves were moving near the house, until I finally spotted an Eagle on one of the more popular trees over the river. Eagles are new to him since they clear out from the river once it freezes over. There are plenty of people who hate and kill all predator's then think you are a ***** because you carry to protect your dogs from Wolves. Logic seems to slip away from a lot of people on a subject like this.

Top Bottom