• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Well, i searched the forum and thought i would try for some updated info. Buddy and I are dead set on finally prairie dogging this year. Where should we go? Wyoming holds a special place in my heart, any good? Went there last year to families cabin and wouldn't mind making the drive again. Looking to do a dyi hunt and WY public land and no license seems to be a good deal. Any other suggestions? Not at all opposed to another state. Thanks SB

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's been a very long time now, but when we had family still alive out in Oklahoma (that had a farm), we shot (at) prairie dogs out there. (North-central part of the state). I wonder if anybody out there offers their land for hunting?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

My thoughts exactly. But since it is in The Great Outdoors section, I asked myself "Why not just pop a squat by the nearest tree?"

Clicked on this thread expecting something completely different! :):

.....wait, why did I click on it then...

Sorry OP, but I thought the same after reading the title. Kudos to GFGT for staying on topic.

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    It all depends on the control programs in an area. Last summer was wet, should be a lot left in areas that didn't get poisoned. Late season shooting was tough due to higher than normal grass.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    My thoughts exactly. But since it is in The Great Outdoors section, I asked myself "Why not just pop a squat by the nearest tree?"
    Uh, I thought it was "cop a squat"? :scratch:

And, referencing that urban dictionary definition (which is the real one, LOL) kinda gives "Buddy and I are dead set on finally prairie dogging this year." a whole new set of 'issues'.

WHY were Buddy and the OP prairie-dogging in the families cabin last year? Wouldn't the family object to such an activity? How 'bout in the years before that? Do Buddy and the OP regularly prairie-dog together? Does the OP prairie-dog with people other than Buddy? Uh, just how 'close' of a buddy IS Buddy if they're prairie-dogging together? Why do they want to prairie-dog on public land? Do ya really need a license to do this!?

Oh wait, perhaps the OP meant "hunting prairie dogs"... My bad.

:lmfao:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Back on topic, (sorry)
    I went to South Dakota in about '08, My brother and cousin went back in probably '12. The PD's had the plague, the first trip out they were poisoning the PD towns, in '12 they were spreading flea powder to control the plague.
    We shot on National Grass Lands out by Wall, South Dakota. We went to the BLM office in Wall, bought a map, marked all the shootable PD towns, went to the hardware store to buy our licenses, and shot for a week.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Back on topic, (sorry)
    I went to South Dakota in about '08, My brother and cousin went back in probably '12. The PD's had the plague, the first trip out they were poisoning the PD towns, in '12 they were spreading flea powder to control the plague.
    We shot on National Grass Lands out by Wall, South Dakota. We went to the BLM office in Wall, bought a map, marked all the shootable PD towns, went to the hardware store to buy our licenses, and shot for a week.

were all the towns on blm land, or private and state included.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Montana.

No licence required unless you hunt on certain Indian reservations. In between dog towns it is always convenient to kock off a few gophers, aka Richardson Ground Squirrels.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    We hunt prairie dogs every year in August. We're primarily in the Shirley Basin/Medicine Bow area of Wyoming bow hunting pronghorn, but always take a day or two to rifle down some prairie dog towns. I found if you stay at the Virginian in Medicine Bow and mention you want to hunt prairie dogs, you'll have people coming out of the woodwork inviting you to hunt their place. They're a nuisance that costs ranchers time and money for ammunition - to them you're free labor and free ammo. This is my son with his 22-250 in 2014.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We hunt prairie dogs every year in August. We're primarily in the Shirley Basin/Medicine Bow area of Wyoming bow hunting pronghorn, but always take a day or two to rifle down some prairie dog towns. I found if you stay at the Virginian in Medicine Bow and mention you want to hunt prairie dogs, you'll have people coming out of the woodwork inviting you to hunt their place. They're a nuisance that costs ranchers time and money for ammunition - to them you're free labor and free ammo. This is my son with his 22-250 in 2014.

All I see is a white shirt :):

it it seems it used to be a blessing for the farmers to have people come and take care of the varmints. But recent years I've heard many farmers and land owners know they can make money and charge for people to come hunt them. In the 90's it was open season.
    kimda like what's going on in Texas with the hogs. Farmers and land owners charging people. If they really wanted the problem gone they'd open it up to responsible shooters

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    Best shoot I ever had was a tale of irony near the Shirley Basin. Had a bad morning (cloudy) so we did some driving. Cut a tire down, guy pulls over on his Rhino to help. Turns out he's a local on his way to shoot a ranch. We fix the tire and he offers to let us tag along. Followed him 10 mile across the prairie and shot til supper time. I think he wouldve fed us too! Good people out that way.

Top Bottom