• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    My dad went hiking in Morgan Monroe state forrest yesterday and saw a Timber Rattler coiled up on a piece of tin along a gravel road. He said he just sat there and watched it for a while and then went about his business. On his way back he went by there again and it was still sitting there enjoying the warmth.

He sent me a text earlier this morning telling me about this. I haven't seen one since I was a kid, but it's nice to know there are still some around. :yesway:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I run into them frequently in Morgan Monroe, usually a couple a year. I'm always surprised that more people don't see them. One time I found one that was pregnant or just got done eating, I presume eating because it wasn't much concerned with me.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I see a lot of them in Morgan-Monroe. I got hit by one in '82. 48" long, 2 1/2" around, and 10 rattles and a button. Squirrel season on top close to the Safety Zone. I got Polaroids. LOL

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My dad went hiking in Morgan Monroe state forrest yesterday and saw a Timber Rattler coiled up on a piece of tin along a gravel road. He said he just sat there and watched it for a while and then went about his business. On his way back he went by there again and it was still sitting there enjoying the warmth.

He sent me a text earlier this morning telling me about this. I haven't seen one since I was a kid, but it's nice to know there are still some around. :yesway:

No selfie with it?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I still hold the Morgan County "standing high jump while carrying a shotgun" record upon encountering one off Liberty Church Road.

Cool! I hold the record for the "swimming backwards when the 'stick' you were reaching for in the lake moves" Pike Co Cotton Mouth division.

It's great to hear about this as I am deep in a Morgan Co. project and soon to be starting one in Lawrence, both with lots of woods trekking. Do you think the rep. from the DOJ will mind if I tote a 12 gauge along on our jaunts?

Last edited:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I still hold the Morgan County "standing high jump while carrying a shotgun" record upon encountering one off Liberty Church Road.

Did your dad get a photo?

Oh no you don't! I beat that record about 8 years ago when at 10:00 pm I stepped out on my dark deck and stepped on one with just house slippers on! I sounded like a 5 year old girl when I screamed!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Did your dad get a photo?
    My "jump" was a backwards jump with a snake attached to my leg. I never measured the distance to submit to the record books due to the excessive unine left during the jump.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Had the pleasure of coming across one on the back country trail. About as big around as a tennis ball, but unsure of the length as it was coiled up on the trail. Looked more like a diamondback, but I'm no expert.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Had the pleasure of coming across one on the back country trail. About as big around as a tennis ball, but unsure of the length as it was coiled up on the trail. Looked more like a diamondback, but I'm no expert.

They do look slightly similar; pit viper head, can have similar colors, and I've seen timber rattlers that have shapes on their back that resemble diamonds from some angles. However we are a couple hundred miles from their habitat range.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Hmmm...my wife hates all snakes, but she loves to hike in the Morgan-Monroe State Forest. Guess I better tell her to watch out when she is on the trails if I'm not with her.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We'll be a little south of there next week for a couple days. I hate snakes but not near as bad as my GF does. I'll be keeping an eye out for sure.

Top Bottom