• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    This little fellow showed up on my trail cam last week. I haven't seen him before so he is totally new to the area. I just hope he decides to hang around for awhile and become a resident buck. Anyways what do you all think he would score and what do you guess his age at. Im saying in the 130to 140 range and around 3 1/2 years old

View attachment 40311 View attachment 40312 View attachment 40313

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would guess in the 2 to 3 year old range. Deer have a pretty high turnover rate in these parts. Nice looking buck though, hopefully you see him this fall when he's all filled out.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Hope I see him too. Its going to be a tough decision whether or not to let him walk since he's more than likely under 4 years old. If he is 2 to 3 years he has some great potential. However, more than likely If I see him and let him walk to let him grow some more one of the neighboring hunters will wind up taking him. The guys that hunt the properties surrounding mine are of the "if its brown its down" mindset and aren't into the deer management game.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    2 or 3 no more then that ... Score wise low 120's my guess... I would let him walk and see if he makes it another year and if he does he will be a dandy... That's just me tho.

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Since I don't know my ass from applesauce when it comes to scoring antlers, especially in velvet, I'll not wager a guess on his score.

When I look at the pics with my thumb over the antlers, I keep coming up with a 3-1/2 year old. The bottom of his neck doesn't quite (but almost) flow into the brisket/chest and not much, if any, sway in his back. These are the things I start to notice in a 4 year old class buck where I hunt.

That muzzle/snout sure looks like a 2-1/2 year old, but thats all that looks 2-1/2 on him. If he is a 2 year old, congrats on a great gene pool and rock solid forage base. Either way, he's a nice deer and harvesting him, if given the opportunity, is a resounding "UHHHHHH........NOT SURE", LOL.

Good luck this upcoming deer season and thank you for sharing those pics.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    However, more than likely If I see him and let him walk to let him grow some more one of the neighboring hunters will wind up taking him.

He made it this long, didn't he?

If you take him just because you fear a neighbor will get him, then you are in the same class as your neighbors. Obviously he stands a better chance of surviving if you let him walk. LOL! He won't top 130" this year. That said, if you are happy with him, that's all that matters. Always hunt for yourself.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    He made it this long, didn't he?

If you take him just because you fear a neighbor will get him, then you are in the same class as your neighbors. Obviously he stands a better chance of surviving if you let him walk. LOL! He won't top 130" this year. That said, if you are happy with him, that's all that matters. Always hunt for yourself.
    To the point and true.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Looks pretty grey in the face and belly starting to sag a bit, I'd say 4-5 year range. As far as score is go with mid 120's. I wouldn't hesitate the pull the trigger on this buck.

Top Bottom