• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am helping a friend clear an overgrown section of lawn that was once (over a decade ago) used as a garden.

It has since fallen into decline and been overgrown with anything and everything that could grow.

The largest "tree" has a diameter about 1.5". However, there are many of them and the workload to dig them all out will be enormous.

He is having me chainsaw all to stuff down and is planning to put in a prefab playhouse for his daughter. The current plan is to cover as much as possible with additional dirt and lay some sort of foundation (I don't know what) for the playhouse.

Is there anything out there anyone knows about that I can use to just spray the area with to quickly rot the little stumps and roots away? I was thinking of a heavy coat of Roundup to guarantee death, but it could take years for the stumps to go bye-bye.

He lives in the city so burning is out. I am hoping there is some sort of highspeed rot juice and look forward to any thoughts from someone who has firsthand experience.

Thanks,

Doug

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Epsom salt. Drill holes, fill them and then cover all with a tarp. It's not magic, won't rot them out overnight, but it will get the rotting off to a good start.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I did the drill holes thing and filled them with ridX, septic tank enzyme. The next year whatever was out of the ground pretty much crumbbled. I don't have pets or small children, that may be an issue.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Depending on how many you have to get rid of, how quickly, and how completely you want to get rid of them, I've used an axe before. It's a good work out, especially on stumps bigger than about 10-12" but for ones 1.5" and smaller, it would probably be just a few whacks each and you can at least the the part sticking out of the ground taken care of.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Depending on how many you have to get rid of, how quickly, and how completely you want to get rid of them, I've used an axe before. It's a good work out, especially on stumps bigger than about 10-12" but for ones 1.5" and smaller, it would probably be just a few whacks each and you can at least the the part sticking out of the ground taken care of.

I did the same thing in an area where I cleared out brush. You can just put your boot on the side of a small tree and push it over and hit it right at the ground level with the axe. I've also used a large pair of loppers to cut off woody plants at the ground level so I could mow without hitting stumps.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I did the same thing in an area where I cleared out brush. You can just put your boot on the side of a small tree and push it over and hit it right at the ground level with the axe. I've also used a large pair of loppers to cut off woody plants at the ground level so I could mow without hitting stumps.

Yeah, I forgot about the loppers. They're often easier to snip the stubburn roots to free a stump rather than trying to hit it with an ax, with sweat dripping in your eyes, and deer flies bitin', etc. :D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A truck, a chain, a mattock and an axe. A big mattock with an axe like option versus a pick gives you more versatility.

You can wrap chain around trunk of tree, put some tension on it with the truck, whack the roots on the back side of the tree. Pull out with truck. Leave the trees tall so you have leverage, wrapping the chain or strap higher then the bumper of the truck applies leverage to the base and roots. If you already cut the trees this is not as easy to do. Wrapping the chain at ground level works but you have to chop and dig more.

There are no magic rot chemicals that will have those stumps out this year. I did the above technique in an urban area on larger trees an 50 year old yews. I would hook up, chop, yank and then just keep going and drag each one to the street. Established yews were tougher than trees due to being low to ground and large roots.

There are stump and sapling pulling tools you can buy but a big mattock, plenty of water, time and Aleve work. Any stump that can be left and covered, do it.

I have used the others shown here but I may buy the pullerbear just to have around.
    Weed Wrench, Uprooter, Extractigator and Brush Grubber How They Compare To The Pullerbear Tree and Root Puller

On chemical solutions, you cut the tree trunks 3-4' high, then paint fresh cuts with brush killer. I say cut high so you don't have to bend over to do the cutting or painting. If you use a sprayer with longer wand, cut lower, then go back and spray. Regular old roundup won't even kill heavy vines.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The high speed "rot juice" you seek is commonly known as Diesel.

...in a backhoe. :)

-Nate

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you haven't already cut them, leave enough stump so you can attach a chain and use the stump as a lever.
    You shouldnt even need a truck. Get a come along, start ratcheting and have your buddy whack the roots. (If needed).

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Drill holes and fill with Lye.

You could always use the truck and chain, get yourself a steel tractor trailer wheel and stand the wheel up next to the tree. Run the chain from around the bottom of the tree next to the ground and up and over the wheel.
    Then hook it up to the pulling vehicle, and pull out the stump.
    Roots tend to hold onto the ground with wind pushing the tree.
    With the wheel you will be pulling up.
    Plus you get the fulcrum effect this way.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I've used a chain and an old bumper jack to remove bushes and small stumps. A sharp shovel or axe to free up the root ball, and they come up pretty well.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Boiler, I don't think he is looking for a way to KILL the stumps, he's lookin for a way to physically remove them.

Crossbow or Tordon certainly do the first, but they won't do the second.

-Nate

Top Bottom