• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Planning a short and easy camping trip (one night camping then one night in a hotel) along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia. There is an annual gunshow at Hillsville, VA.

Any suggestions on things to see? Routes to take? Is the gun show worth the trouble?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Planning a short and easy camping trip (one night camping then one night in a hotel) along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia. There is an annual gunshow at Hillsville, VA.

Any suggestions on things to see? Routes to take? Is the gun show worth the trouble?

I visited the BRP around three years ago. We ended up staying in Blowing Rock, NC (very close to Boone, NC) and took a few days to visit various NC portions of the road. I know that most of the photos I see from the VA portion usually are at Peaks of Otter. It seems to be one of the more higher elevation areas of the VA portion. I know that on the far southern end of the VA portion, there is the Blue Ridge Music center, which has concerts throughout the season. Just south of the music center in NC there is Cumberland Knob. Cumberland Knob is mostly just a park like area, very nice. There weren't many people at all there when we visited. The walk/hike to the knob area is easy but the views are anything really. It is mostly a place for a nice picnic. If you continue further into NC heading south another 20ish miles there is Brinegar Cabin. The NPS has a couple of rangers who talk about the cabin, grow food next to it, and one was actually doing some sort of sowing work. I know this is park of a larger park area with lots of trails. There are a lot of trails off the road of various lengths and difficulties. If you fill out the e-mail form on the park website and request a map and park newspaper the newspaper will have a list of some of the trails.

Just one note for you and anyone else reading this. All the information I read on-line said the NC portion has more to offer and more differences in elevation the further south you go. I found this to be true to some extent. The NC portion from the VA/NC state line to Boone/Blowing Rock didn't seem to offer as much as the portion from Boone/Blowing Rock on south to Cherokee. Maybe you have already visited that portion, but for those reading who are trying to decide which area would be better, I say the southern 1/3rd or so of the parkway is the best.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've done it several times.
    And you should too.

You probably won't see anything worth buying that you can buy (unless you have an FFL) But it is a hoot. Get comfortable shoes.
    Its the biggest yard sale in the world. And everyone should see it at least once.

Meadows-of-Dan is worth the drive. Very pretty. Be sure to pronounce it MEDAZADAN if you ask for directions. Or they'll give your Yankee butt directions to the highway north.:):

I agree that the NC side of the blue ridge parkway is far superior to the VA side.

Not sure how hard you want to press... But Craggy Gardens is one of my favorite places on earth. Its a drive from Hillsville. Very close to Asheville.
    If you make it that far, set your sights on the Shindig on the Green.
    Old-time and Bluegrass | Mountain Music and Dance | Asheville NC

You'll be passing by Mt. Airy on a bad weekend. I'd recommend the Autumn Leaves Festival or Mayberry Days. Frankly, the music at the Autumn Leaves is awesome. I've heard some of the best bluegrass in the world. From unknown mountain folk who made their big trip to the city once a year to play.

If you make it that far, bring a fly rod and some barbless flies.

God, you made me homesick!!!
    Just got a phone call from my sister.
    I gotta get back to that part of the planet soon.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Not sure how hard you want to press... But Craggy Gardens is one of my favorite places on earth. Its a drive from Hillsville. Very close to Asheville.

Craggy Gardens is a very neat spot. I'm hoping to get there during a summer month to catch the Rhododendron in full bloom. Mt. Mitchell is very close to Craggy Gardens and is the highest point east of the Mississippi River. My favorite spot on the parkway is actually Waterrock Knob. It is located on the parkway about 20 miles from the southern terminus point in Cherokee, NC. When people ask about where to have a picnic in the Great Smoky Mountains NP, I always tell them that if they can drive about an extra 20-40 mins., they can be at Waterrock Knob which is a great area for a picnic. The trail to the knob is steep, but very short.

Top Bottom