• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have been thinking about getting one of these, been thinking about it for a while, dont see or hear about them on forums here.Dont know if its a good idea to get one.Dont see them for sale either in classifieds.I was planning on getting the 308 barrel for deer and coyotes.CVA I heard has one out too I see.Do any of you guys shoot one? Could you let me know of your experiences with them.Are or is the 308 too BIG a round or TOO NOISY.How is muzzle flip? I am very interested in hearing your input about this gun. thanks.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    If you have never shot a handgun that is scoped, it takes some getting used too. The recoil is stiff, but you don't have to worry about scope eye. You have to watch the trigger guard from busting your knuckle. You will need some kind of rest too shoot very far.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been shooting Encores in all of their configurations since they hit the market in '96 and have used the 308 in 15" barrels quite a bit. The 308 is very manageable, but like all rifle rounds in a short barrel the muzzle blast is significant. Don't fire one without hearing protection. The muzzle flip is not bad. The nice thing about all of the T/C pistol receivers is you can build anything you want on them. The barrels multiply like rabbits if you aren't careful.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    I have been playing with T/C stuff for about 30 years have several frames a couple encores mostly G1 and G2 stuff in rifles pistols and muzzleloaders and one shotgun.
    You can not go wrong with them. The 308 is a real good in a handgun, but there are better ones if you reload if not you might look at a 243 as a do all for deer and coyote lots of factory loads for it. But if you reload well than that opens up lots of doors.
    Several forms out there specialty pistol is a good one lots of good information if you have any other questions let me know. I will warn you they are like potato chips you can not stop with one thats the only con I can think of

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've had Encores in .308, .243, 25/06 and for comfort and game no bigger than a whitetail at my usual ranges, I'd pick a custom bbl in 6mm PPC or 6.5 Grendel. 15" and with a brake or Magna-porting. That 30-30 AI is a neat manageable choice too. I'm currently using a .35 Rem Contender. Make sure you use pistol data on your reloads and bullet choices that work at available velocities are important. Bullets designed for .35 Whelen don't expand much at .35 Rem velocities out of a 14" bbl. Spined a deer a couple of years ago at 35 yds with a 200 gr Hornady SP and got zero expansion through 4" of spine and a foot of meat. found the bullet under the hide on the off side.

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    I have the Encore with the .243 all stainless and I love it. Just busted a 243# buck with it this morning. I went to one because I wanted the extended range over a shotgun and I don't like hunting from trees so this works perfect. I can lay in a fence row like a sniper and just set it on the bipod. I believe my avatar is a picture of it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Last yr I shot a 123# doe with a 200gr Hornady SP at 50 yards, clipping shoulder. Bullet fragged (no exit).
    16 " Contender bbl.
    Today the same load.........whistled through a 175# dressed buck, exiting fwd area of shoulder (some meat).
    Still not sure what to think.
    2 dead deer with 2 shots seems to be alright.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    When I did gun hunt I would use a G2 35 Rem with hornady 180g SSP bullet with a stiff load of W748 always had good expansion. Have a couple G2 357 Maximum rifles use the same bullet with Lil-gun not a problem kids have killed several deer with them. The 30/30 AI has only punched paper, but have several people I know use them on deer every year. I still say the 243 is the best bang for the buck if you don't reload for a deer/coyote rig

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I've used my Encore in a .243 for several years . Recoil is manageable , more muzzle rise than anything . I personally wouldn't use it chambered in a .308 , the recoil and muzzle rise would just be to much for me .
    I think maybe a .270 with a lighter bullet would be about perfect . A .308 might be ok if it had a good muzzle brake or porting , but the muzzle blast would be pretty significant . Hearing protection would be a must .

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I prefer my dad's Striker in 7 mm 08 with the brake turned off.
    A Contender in 35 Rem (Super 14) with no brake is a fun gun. Gives a jolt, but is nothing but invigorating when wearing Pachmayr Grippers.
    I would never get a bbl with a brake on it..........the dang things are loud enough as it is (even wearing muffs).
    You do get used to the thump after a while, even when shooting magnum rifles.
    Just takes a little getting used to (plus proper fit).
    I suppose a specialty pistol with grips not right for one's hand would be rather rude.
    Personally, I HATE Pachmayr grips..........but the grippers on a Contender fit and feel great to me.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I have OVER 100 T/C Contender barrels several Encore barrels-----I build most of the cartridges that I shoot (lots of wildcats)-----------as I do more bench(target) shooting than hunting with my T/Cs-------anything that reduces recoil is a plus for me.. I LOVE the brakes from E.A.Brown Company------The JP Howitzer makes my 45-70 feel like a 357----308 Bellm feel like a 38 PP----------Noise????I seldom get a crowding problem--at the range after a few rounds of 45-70 from a 15" Encore with a JP Howitzer brake. "grin"

This is my opinion---for collecting--The barrel says "Thompson Center"--------for accuracy "Match Grade Machine"

Tomorrow,Saturday,is the start of the Pheasant "Put-N-Take"---doing it for 32 years---I do like to watch my German Shorthairs work.

Have a great---------

tallend

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    LOL, my Contender in .22 lr has a barrel that says "Match Target" and "Remington" on it (coworker made it from a 513T).

Gonna make a new Kydex cheekriser for mine since I stripped the camo off and repainted it (paint adhered a little too well to the Kydex, easier to just pitch and make new).

New riser will be left orig black, no paint.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Can you put the rifle forend on a pro hunter pistol,I just bought one , and I was wondering if it would fit? These guns are new to me.THANKS

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    Yes, contact BullBerry barrel works you have to send them your barrel a new dovetail will need cut and hanger bar system forearm will also need modified its well worth the price if adding a bipod

Top Bottom