• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I'm thinking about getting a couple of recreational kayaks. Would like to keep it around 400 or less per boat. Mine would need at least a 300 lb weight capacity.
    The wife would like a sit in type kayak, but I'm open to to sit on top or sit in.

Does anyone have any experience with kayaks in this range?

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Perception Pescador 10.0 Kayak/Paddle Package-842909 - Gander Mountain

The Perception Prescador 10 is a sit-on top kayak that is close to your price range. You can get one at Gander for about $470 on sale and that will include the paddle. They are a good entry level kayak with a ton of storage in both enclosed bow compartment and the tank well in the back. They have a keel and track well in flat water. They are stable and the seat is comfortable. If you are looking for a kayak to be used mainly on flat water, do not go below 10' in length and make sure you get one with a keel. Longer kayaks generally track better.

My wife and youngest son have this kayak. We put in 15 miles last weekend with enough storage for a soft cooler, lunch, towel, camera and other smalls. They are very pleasant to paddle. You will probably be pushing the weight limit at 10' and may have to go to a little longer kayak. If you go to the Perception web page, you will see that they offer this kayak in several different colors. Gander will order the color you want and you can have it shipped to you at the listed sale price.

Dirty Steve

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    At that budget, keep an eye on Craigslist and buy used. Lots of people buy rec kayaks and use them once or twice before selling for half the price of new.

If I were you, I'd be looking for a used perception, wilderness systems, jackson, dagger, liquid logic, or old town.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Not to revive an 2 month old thread but we are looking for some kayaks too. Something for a day trip.

Dunhams has a 20% off coupon. Need to check CL and Gander as well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It all depends how much you're going to use it and in what conditions. My wife's Pelican was $180. It does great for the 5 times a year she floats. Mostly, it's beer drinking, and no rapids of any sort. Actually, very little paddling other than just maneuvering away from log jams as we drift down the river. Get what's right for the type of paddling you want to do. My boat is significantly different from hers because I have it rigged up for drifting and fishing. Different boats for different purposes. Get the right type, and you'll have a better time on the water.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I got a new kayak today at RK, it is a Sun Dolphin Aruba 10, for $179. I was also looking at the Old Town Vapor 10. I decided i wanted a sit in. We already have a tandem fishing kayak, and it is a sit on top, i don't care for it all that much. Hubby is going to try it solo, and maybe with one of our dogs, he's a big guy, and he likes the stability of that one. I almost got the Vapor, with the Dunham's 20% off, but the Aruba is 7 lbs lighter, and of course less money. I wanted something i could load and unload myself, onto the top of my Jeep. I didn't see much difference to justify the price, and both got similar reviews. I figure i'll start with this, then maybe get a better one later on, once i've learned more. So, i took it out today, on a quiet lake. Got in without tipping it- yay! I'm very new to kayaking, so i watched some youtube videos first. Worked on my paddling technique, and just drifted around a bit, relaxing. There isn't really a lot of room, it is fine for me, at 5"2", and ahem...150 lbs. It tracks better than our fishing kayak, and it was comfortable once i got situated. I managed to tip it and get wet while trying to get out of it...i'll have to work on that! Of course, someone saw me! Luckily it was a warm day, and the water didn't feel bad. Looking forward to taking it out on the river this fall and seeing the fall colors.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I know this is premature, but if i decide that i want to get more serious about kayaking, what would be a good intermediate kayak? We are just a few blocks away from a river, there are small lakes nearby, and less than an hour away from some bigger lakes. I don't think i want to to go over 12'. I'm mainly just wanting to get a bit of a workout, and enjoy the outdoors. I've always been a water person.
    Another good question...how do you carry? I don't want a tragic boat incident like so many have had! Some kind of bag that is waterproof and floats?

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I know this is premature, but if i decide that i want to get more serious about kayaking, what would be a good intermediate kayak? We are just a few blocks away from a river, there are small lakes nearby, and less than an hour away from some bigger lakes. I don't think i want to to go over 12'. I'm mainly just wanting to get a bit of a workout, and enjoy the outdoors. I've always been a water person.
    Another good question...how do you carry? I don't want a tragic boat incident like so many have had! Some kind of bag that is waterproof and floats?

The intermediate range of a kayak is huge. Personally, I would recommend the wilderness systems tarpon 120. It is a fantastic kayak and comfortable as all get out.

Here is my two cents:

Sit on top for overall comfort, stability and flexibility. The downside is that the wind had a huge impact on how well the boat tracks as well as how easy it is to paddle.

Sit in kayaks have covered storage (not waterproof) and are insanely easy to paddle. The cheap ones don't track well. However, I had a green kayak I purchased from Dicks around 10 years ago that was awesome to paddle and tracked like none other. While it was an easy paddle, sit in kayaks are difficult to get comfortable in for long periods of time. I spent 8 hours in mine and I was done.

Looking back, I can't ever recall a scenario that I preferred a sit in as opposed to a sit on top.

As for packing gear, you can find waterproof bags at gander that are absolutely amazing. If you're concerned about it sinking, tie it onto your boat and you're good to go. If you're boat sinks, you're in a world of hurt.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The intermediate range of a kayak is huge. Personally, I would recommend the wilderness systems tarpon 120. It is a fantastic kayak and comfortable as all get out.

Here is my two cents:

Sit on top for overall comfort, stability and flexibility. The downside is that the wind had a huge impact on how well the boat tracks as well as how easy it is to paddle.

Sit in kayaks have covered storage (not waterproof) and are insanely easy to paddle. The cheap ones don't track well. However, I had a green kayak I purchased from Dicks around 10 years ago that was awesome to paddle and tracked like none other. While it was an easy paddle, sit in kayaks are difficult to get comfortable in for long periods of time. I spent 8 hours in mine and I was done.

Looking back, I can't ever recall a scenario that I preferred a sit in as opposed to a sit on top.

As for packing gear, you can find waterproof bags at gander that are absolutely amazing. If you're concerned about it sinking, tie it onto your boat and you're good to go. If you're boat sinks, you're in a world of hurt.

I like the looks of the wilderness systems tarpon 120, but I think it is too heavy for me to load and unload by myself.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    After finishing our kayaking season on Sunday, we put 115 miles in this year on sit-on kayaks. Our yaks have covered storage both from and rear as well as a large tank well in the rear. The tankwell holds a soft site Yeti or Ice Mule cooler very well. Stuff that needs to be dry goes in dry bags inside the covered storage areas.

On a few occasions we borrowed sit-in kayaks when we took other folks with us and needed a yak for them. I swapped out to give them an opportunity to paddle my sit-on. I absolutely hated the sit-in and the person I swapped with said my sit-on was like a Cadillac compared to the sit-in they had paddled all morning. I always ended up having to paddle the borrowed sit-in the rest of the day.

We typically spend 6-8 hours on the water each time we go. The difference in seating comfort is noticeable. The ability to stretch out, hang your feet over the side and drag them in the water, flop out of it to swim and be able to easily get back on is nice.

Our yaks have keels and chines and track well. I can only say that we had an issue with wind one time and that was on Patoka with about 1.5' waves. The wind didn't effect tracking, but the waves beat us to death.

Dirty Steve

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    After finishing our kayaking season on Sunday, we put 115 miles in this year on sit-on kayaks. Our yaks have covered storage both from and rear as well as a large tank well in the rear. The tankwell holds a soft site Yeti or Ice Mule cooler very well. Stuff that needs to be dry goes in dry bags inside the covered storage areas.

On a few occasions we borrowed sit-in kayaks when we took other folks with us and needed a yak for them. I swapped out to give them an opportunity to paddle my sit-on. I absolutely hated the sit-in and the person I swapped with said my sit-on was like a Cadillac compared to the sit-in they had paddled all morning. I always ended up having to paddle the borrowed sit-in the rest of the day.

We typically spend 6-8 hours on the water each time we go. The difference in seating comfort is noticeable. The ability to stretch out, hang your feet over the side and drag them in the water, flop out of it to swim and be able to easily get back on is nice.

Our yaks have keels and chines and track well. I can only say that we had an issue with wind one time and that was on Patoka with about 1.5' waves. The wind didn't effect tracking, but the waves beat us to death.

Dirty Steve

I enjoyed the sit-in more, as far as for paddling, but I can see where a sit-on would be nice at other times. Since I've only been in one sit-on, it's hard to fairly compare. I think it would be nice to have one of each, depending on the conditions, but my husband would probably disagree. The other thing I think would be nice about the sit-in is that you can put a skirt on it, so you don't get as wet in cooler weather.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    We have kayaked in the gulf in February using sit-on 13' Hobie kayaks. That water in the gulf off of the coast of Florida is COLD in February. You don't really get wet with proper paddling technique. When cold, I have also worn a water proof paddling shirt and running tights and have been fine. As you can tell, I much prefer a sit-on.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom