• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zach757

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2015
    Inidanapolis
    Hoping to get started deer hunting this upcoming firearms season and seeing as how i never have before i could sure use some advice. seems overwhelming from the outset with no prior knowledge. Besides a rifle/shotgun,license, camo, and some hunter orange what else should i have in my possession before i'm ready to hit the woods? All "what NOT to do's" also appreciated. Thanks!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    First, welcome.
    No hardcore deer hunter here, but I do hunt each fall, and I'd definitely recommend that whatever you wear, be sure that it's insulated enough to allow you to spend multiple hours in the field.
    Skip sneakers or other light footwear and get decent boots with some heavy wool socks for the same reasons.
    Get well insulated gloves, and hand-warmers and foot-warmers will help, especially if you intend to play the waiting game with the deer, as most people do.
    Hunting techniques vary, but if you intend to do anything but hunt from the ground, a decent (and safe!) and comfortable tree stand is a worthy investment.
    Regarding that hunter orange, be sure to read the regulations closely and note that whatever hunter orange is proscribed (hat, vest, jacket, etc.) must be solid orange, with no camo or even other markings on it.
    The other optional items (scents, decoys, calls, rangefinder, binoculars, etc.) are optional, but I can say that I was able to get my third deer to pause from trotting away just enough to get a perfect shot using my reed type deer call.
    Whatever gun you choose, be sure that you're comfortable with it and check its zero right before the start of each season.
    Also, it would be a good idea to carefully study what type of trajectory your given load has.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Congrats on taking up a new and fun sport!

1. Take a hunter's safety class and take it seriously.
    2. Learn to read wind direction and learn scent control.
    3. Whatever firearm you plan on using, practice with it and become proficient with it at the distance you will be hunting.
    4. Do not attempt to take an animal outside of your proficient distance.
    5. Get quality boots. This will allow you to stay in the woods longer. Once your feet get cold, it is only a matter of time before the rest of you freezes.
    6. Spend plenty of time in the pre-season scouting and learning the different paths the deer take through the woods.
    7. Never compromise safety.
    8. The first time you see a deer while hunting, your heart will race and the adrenaline will kick in. Be prepared for this.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Make sure to take peanut butter and banana sandwiches and throw half on the ground in front of you. A boom box or chainsaw is a good deer call. After shave lotion also works well.
    Deer get comfortable around non hunters and it's "covert hunting".
    Without putting the purple on the plate....I hunted for 30 years with an old guy that wore lots of Old Spice and no camo at all. He killed more deer than most any of us that went with him.
    He let me know to get comfortable on the ground by cleaning off the leaves so I didn't rustle noises and KEEP STILL. DO NOT MOVE A MUSCLE.
    As simple as it seems it works well as long as you've got deer around.
    You have to be comfortable. Good warm clothing and proper boots and gloves. BE STILL and "smoke 'em if you got 'em.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hoping to get started deer hunting this upcoming firearms season and seeing as how i never have before i could sure use some advice. seems overwhelming from the outset with no prior knowledge. Besides a rifle/shotgun,license, camo, and some hunter orange what else should i have in my possession before i'm ready to hit the woods? All "what NOT to do's" also appreciated. Thanks!

Am I supposed to say "Welcome to INGO" after a year and one post?

Zach757

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2015
    Inidanapolis
    I'll use golf as my back-up, haha. I'm really looking to fill my freezer with meat that i harvested myself rather than just pick up a new hobby. Already have too many of those @_@

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you can find an experienced hunter ask them to go with you or if you can tag along with them.

It is best to hunt with a buddy especially if you are new, for safety reasons.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Be familiar with the ground you are going to hunt on, time spent in that area is important to success.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    A good knife is your friend!

If you will be hunting from a tree stand, that baby would appreciate it if you come home safely. A safety vest is the way to go and tie off while in the tree.

Good luck this year.

Zach757

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2015
    Inidanapolis
    If you can find an experienced hunter ask them to go with you or if you can tag along with them.

It is best to hunt with a buddy especially if you are new, for safety reasons.

I think you're right. I know a few seasoned hunters i might tag along with this year, Thanks!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A good knife is your friend!

If you will be hunting from a tree stand, that baby would appreciate it if you come home safely. A safety vest is the way to go and tie off while in the tree.

Good luck this year.

Sage advice there.
    On a related note, last year a hunter was killed when the tree that his stand was in (rotten, unknown to him) collapsed on him.
    Bad enough to go by accident at all, but that was was particularly bad.

Zach757

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2015
    Inidanapolis
    Top Bottom