• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That is wild.

There are so many animals making a comeback in Indiana.

I'm 58 years old.
    I've lived in Indiana most of my life.
    I've hunted one animal or another for a good portion of that time.
    While deer hunting last year in Tippecanoe county, I watched a badger walk not 10 feet in front of my blind.
    He had no idea I was there, and it took a few seconds for my brain to register what I was seeing.
    It was the first badger I've seen in Indiana.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm 58 years old.
    While deer hunting last year in Tippecanoe county, I watched a badger walk not 10 feet in front of my blind.
    He had no idea I was there, and it took a few seconds for my brain to register what I was seeing.

I saw my first badger, when I was a kid, up near Attica, In., on my Grandma's farm.....

a loong time ago .....

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I saw one at Eldora Speedway in OH several years ago. It was in the campground. We were the only ones there. It had no idea we were there nor did it care.

Jason

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm 58 years old.

My hunting partner and I have determined that a badger is the last native mammal that we haven't seen on our farm after seeing a pair of otters last year and trapping a bobcat the year before. Hoping I'll see one someday.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I work on I65 in KY and just 2 weeks ago there was a black bear that crossed the jobsite near Glendale. Louisville news later reported the story as other people saw it as well. Kentucky Fish & Wildlife said it was unusual but likely just a bear in search of love. HAHA I wonder if there is any possibility of it being the same one?

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    PAWS UP DONT SHOOT!

(Too soon?)

Sadly this is the crap that is actually going on here. Due to this we are loosing the best Animal Control officer this county has ever had after 9 years of service. The area the bear was last spotted going into was a small 50 acre wooded lot with a busy business area on one side of it and residential neighborhoods on the other side.

Earlier Monday, Bruce LaHue, the county's animal control officer, told the Courier-Journal he was quitting his job of nearly nine years after a disagreement at the scene with a Corydon official. LaHue said officers told him there was a "no-shoot" order, and LaHue said he was concerned for the safety of the public.
    "An animal should never be able to be in the position to hurt a person," LaHue said. "A no-shoot order no matter what? That would be putting myself and the public in danger."
    Schreck said Monday he wasn't aware of any dispute and said there isn't a no-shoot rule, but it would be the last resort used by officials to catch the bear.

Indiana 'monitoring the bear' spotted in Corydon

Due to the safety of the bear and the people in the area they were planning to tranquilize the bear and relocate him to an area better suited for the bear. Quickly rumor spread locally that they were going to "shoot" the bear and a lot of people believed that they were going to kill the bear when that was not the case. I was at the Corydon Walmart just before the bear crossed the street and entered the woods. Management and employees were clocking out to take their lunch and spending that time going to see the bear while it was in the open field next to the hospitable. This and other spectators caused traffic problems in front of the hospital as they were taking their pictures. This really brought out the stupid in some of the locals and IMO made my county look like a bunch of idiots.

On the brighter side of local news. The Harrison County fair is off to a good start. Rides open tomorrow.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Seriously, I hope this big fellow is able to find a mate and make some cubs.
    It would be good to see these guys back in Indiana again.
    Anyone who ever read The Bears of Blue River​ as a kid will understand that.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana

Thank you for the lead on this book. This will be the next book on my boy's reading list.

**EDIT**
    For anybody who would like to read this book here is the link. https://archive.org/details/bearsofblueriver00majoiala

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I'll second this. As long as its not endangering folks, getting to cozy with the cans on trash day, trying to get into homes, etc. I hope it thrives. We need more biodeversity. Except venomous snakes. They can go to hell. :laugh:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Top Bottom