• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We've been looking for a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to support a wood stove that will heat a 1,000 sq ft cottage. Trying to decide how hefty it needs to be - 20, 25, 30 ton.

How big is yours? :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    6# sledge eye hickory handle for me. Don't fall for the fiberglass handles, the vibration wants to kill your hands.

0000433_1_41580.jpeg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Any of the above will split more than all the wood you'll be needing.

Thing is, you need to take time to ponder how large are the rounds you will be splitting, and how gnarly the wood. That's where the tonnage comes into play.

Whatever you do, make sure it has the ability to split vertically AND horizontally, and that it has a great motor. Honda and Subaru motors are about all I care for at this point...Briggs is now a "has been" due to QA/QC. You just never know what you're gonna get anymore.

Trust me about the vertical splitting. You don't want to spend a lot of time lifting 24" or better rounds into position on a horizontal rack.

Last thing: I've split a lot by hand. There's very much a place for a 5-6lb maul, and I do still take one; the man's advice above is true, but also get a protected-shank hickory handle (and don't order it online...that's a good way to get a bad handle). With straight stuff, I can WELL outpace the splitter....but pay little mind to the "real men split by hand" thing you will hear. My splitter is not for sale.

-Nate

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    22-ton splitter. Works fine so far. From Tractor Supply. Think it has a Kohler engine?
    6-lb splitting ax (fiberglass handle)
    Need to get a sledge and a few wedges.

I only cut a couple cord each year, so the above has been working fine.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ah...

Think it has a Kohler engine?

...I should modify my statement. I have seen lots of these Kohlers on lots of things, I just don't own one. Will mention though that when the local Ag CoOp replaces a motor, they buy Honda.

Now:

had a fiberglass maul for over 20 years.......no vibrating here:dunno:

If you have had one for 20 years, might it be that you can't remember, or don't know the difference anymore? :)

I just had another thing pointed out to me about the splitter. It has meant that one person, even children and/or women who may not swing a maul very effectively for very long, can fully run the splitting operation while 1-2 others run the saw(s) and move timber to the splitting area. We didn't have that before.

Sure, learn/teach how to split matchsticks in two with a maul, it's a good skill, and one I'm glad to have. But so is staying warm, and not spending 8 hours to do it.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Correction.

The Ariens we have is a 27T, at 25" capacity. We split EVERYTHING at 24", because it's for a furnace. The splitter rarely has issue with anything we feed it...that has included up to 30" rounds.

-Nate

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Ah...

...I should modify my statement. I have seen lots of these Kohlers on lots of things, I just don't own one. Will mention though that when the local Ag CoOp replaces a motor, they buy Honda.

Now:

If you have had one for 20 years, might it be that you can't remember, or don't know the difference anymore? :)

I just had another thing pointed out to me about the splitter. It has meant that one person, even children and/or women who may not swing a maul very effectively for very long, can fully run the splitting operation while 1-2 others run the saw(s) and move timber to the splitting area. We didn't have that before.

Sure, learn/teach how to split matchsticks in two with a maul, it's a good skill, and one I'm glad to have. But so is staying warm, and not spending 8 hours to do it.

-Nate

had wooden handle ones for years pryer to fiberglass and have split hundreds of cords........the fiberglass has a hard rubber holding the head on and it takes all shock out for it.......

so yes i can remember......

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    We've been looking for a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to support a wood stove that will heat a 1,000 sq ft cottage. Trying to decide how hefty it needs to be - 20, 25, 30 ton.

How big is yours? :)
    Mine is 4 lbs... Fiskars Splitting Axe... best splitting apparatus invented IMHO

That being said, I do have a no-name hydraulic splitter that was given to me and I use it for the tough stuff (hickory, elm, crotches and knotty pieces, etc). I suspect it's no more than 25 tons (maybe even 20) and it gets the job done most of the time. Keep in mind, that in general, more tonnage = slower cycle for the same engine size. I would look for something based on cycle time. Even my old 4 hp, cheapo splitter only bogs/bind occasionally. When that happens I get my saw, partially cut the piece of wood in line with the split (to relieve some of the tension) and try again.

When I was young and strong, I used to swing one of these
    View attachment 48699

And now you're in a wheelchair because of the debilitating back problems? Haha... a lot of young, strong people advocate for these, IMHO, they're unnecessary. In many cases its akin to "work smarter, not harder", a well engineered splitting tool will be much less fatiguing.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I did some research last year on log splitters, but eventually decided for no more than I burn a season (6 Rick) I could cut and get the logs home and then rent a splitter from sunbelt for a weekend and get it all split.

I know this is going to sound nuts, but check out the 20 ton splitter from harbor freight. Lots of really good reviews on it and it is built to split wood in both directions.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    And now you're in a wheelchair because of the debilitating back problems? Haha... a lot of young, strong people advocate for these, IMHO, they're unnecessary. In many cases its akin to "work smarter, not harder", a well engineered splitting tool will be much less fatiguing.
    Only for a few weeks, then I moved to a walker and AFO braces. Wasn't from the maul, though.

Top Bottom