300 Blackout SUBSONIC for deer? What are your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A buddy of mine and I were talking about this the other day. I'm a fan of the 300 blackout for what it is and I took my pistol out hunting one time last year, but I was using full power loads. The conversation about hunting with subsonic ammo came up because so many guys are running them suppressed. Personally I've never done it and it wouldn't be my first choice. Truth be told, I'd feel like I was cheating on my old trusty lever 44mag, and that why I only took my 300 blackout once last year. Anyway, I would think if a guy followed bow hunting rules of thumb that he'd be able to ethically take down a deer using one. For example, 50 yards or less quartering away behind the shoulder, etc I would think a guy would do just fine. My buddy was thinking it'd still be underpowered and that where we got talking about it. Seems like an interesting puzzle to try and figure out though.

So, I'm curious does anyone here have any experience hunting deer with a 300 blackout using subsonic ammo? If so what were the conditions you put on taking the shot? What were your results?

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    A subsonic load gives about 375 ft lbs of energy, about the same as a 22 magnum. Outside a survival situation I never would.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    A subsonic load gives about 375 ft lbs of energy, about the same as a 22 magnum. Outside a survival situation I never would.

So I would pose this comment to the above statement just to stir the pot. If you can get 220gr 300 blackout and are pushing it at +-900 fps are we now talking about the same ballistics as a 45 Colt? I know the projectile shapes are different and you would probably get poor performance out of the 300 but I would think the energy would be the same?

According to what I have read the 300 Whisper is running 529 ft-lb of energy. If you could run some softer cast through it I would think you could get the results you were discussing with the 50 yard range...:dunno:

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    What would be the purpose of shooting a deer using a silencer? Are you trying to shoot the a whole group of deer? Noise should not be an issue when shooting one deer. Every deer I shot never minded the noise. It was the bullet that caused them the issue.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What would be the purpose of shooting a deer using a silencer? Are you trying to shoot the a whole group of deer? Noise should not be an issue when shooting one deer. Every deer I shot never minded the noise. It was the bullet that caused them the issue.

I will be deer hunting with a suppressor this year. The point for me is, my 5 year old daughter is sitting in the stand with me.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I wouldn't do it. Much greater chance of wounding, or at least a slower kill.

Why wouldn't you hunt with a suppressor? I like my ears, and want to keep them as long as I can. The only downsides are weight and length, and we aren't elk hunting here.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Shouldn't be an issue with a CNS shot...I'd be more concerned about accuracy in that instance.

Best answer in this thread. Would be fun trying to get a CNS shot with a subsonic load IMO. (I doubt I could do it)

To the OP, check the interwebs. There are plenty of people having success on deer with 300 blk subsonic with good bullet designs.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I will be deer hunting with a suppressor this year. The point for me is, my 5 year old daughter is sitting in the stand with me.

Understand. Why not give them hearing protection.

I sometimes use it my self, just have the plugs hanging out and just push them in prior to setting up the shot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ...because you own a suppressor?

Exactly.

Its not like a suppressor is a must have while hunting, but its a wise addition if you have access to one.

Let me ask you a question. What is the major downside to putting one on the rifle? Its not like we are out west where you walk 10 miles a day hunting, so the weight/size argument is out the door.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Don't care for the looks of suppressors.
    Don't care for the looks of an AR either.
    Add them together...........too much ugly.

If I wanted a .300 Blackout rifle I'd proly go with a Contender rifle, or maybe a bolt action.....might be cool in a custom Rem 600.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    They slow bullet velocity for one. It's not like we are at the range. One shot maybe two.

To me it's like the recoil, I rarely feel it or even remember it same with the noise while hunting but at the range, I put hearing protection on as soon as I get out of my car.

Too each their own, I was just asking why you guys used them for deer hunting. I get it for yotes.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Suppressed full power 300 BLK cuts the noise to a tolerable level with good ballistics.

I also use an 8.2" barrel. Almost exactly the same length as my 16" AR but quieter.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Rant:

It doesn't matter whether you "like" the concept of using an 300blk AR...or a suppressor...they are both LEGAL and sometimes people don't want their neighbors knowing they are in the woods harvesting game. I'd hunt dove with a silencerco salvo if I had the disposable income. Hearing protection SUCKS to wear while hunting. Hearing loss sucks worse. Using a suppressor moves the earpro from your head to the gun. Why are we as Americans ass backwards? We should be able to buy suppressors at the hardware or auto store like in many european countries. They're nothing more than a muffler...yet the feds consider them a "firearm".

NOW, to the question: If it were me, I'd run a can with supers. The crack should be audible downrange and away from your ears, and should be less than shooting anything without a can.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Rant:

It doesn't matter whether you "like" the concept of using an 300blk AR...or a suppressor...they are both LEGAL and sometimes people don't want their neighbors knowing they are in the woods harvesting game. I'd hunt dove with a silencerco salvo if I had the disposable income. Hearing protection SUCKS to wear while hunting. Hearing loss sucks worse. Using a suppressor moves the earpro from your head to the gun. Why are we as Americans ass backwards? We should be able to buy suppressors at the hardware or auto store like in many european countries. They're nothing more than a muffler...yet the feds consider them a "firearm".

NOW, to the question: If it were me, I'd run a can with supers. The crack should be audible downrange and away from your ears, and should be less than shooting anything without a can.

Well said. The only downside I see to them is added length. If you can decrease the noise why wouldn't you? I remember how much I like suppressors and ear pro every time I have to conversationally yell at one of my older buddies who never uses it...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Don't care for the looks of suppressors.
    Don't care for the looks of an AR either.
    Add them together...........too much ugly.

If I wanted a .300 Blackout rifle I'd proly go with a Contender rifle, or maybe a bolt action.....might be cool in a custom Rem 600.

I guess Ive never seen a deer that care's what the rifle looks like.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    With your marksmanship skills you could take head shots at bowhunting ranges and be gtg.
    +

Bingo. Center the crosshair between the eye hole and the ear hole, and execute a good trigger squeeze.

-Nate

Top Bottom