• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I went out early this morning to shoot my bow and swarms of skeeters mobbed me. I do not have high hopes for taking my son out Saturday. Real bummer. Anyone else dealing with this in Northern Indiana? They peak today from last weeks rains. I cannot imagine what it would be like field dressing a deer in this.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I was out the last two weekends waterfowl hunting and I will agree that they were terrible! I had loads of off and and I was still swatting them a little bit. If you thermacell and deet yourself to death you may have a chance.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My new scent is eau de parfum/Off :):

I was out for about 10 minutes this morning swapping out camera cards and filling bird feeders and had to spray down three times to keep them off of me.

My husband and I were just discussing how the mosquitoes are going to impact bow season. There is no way I could be out there and sit still long enough to even see a deer. Even the deer can't handle the stupid mosquitoes. The ones I see on the cameras are all stomping and biting at the bugs constantly.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I think the deet does more harm to me than the mosquitoes. I'm like a magnet and get eaten up every time I'm out in the woods or camping. They seem especially bad this year moving into the fall.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Mosquitoes & Chiggers are overwhelming this year on our property in SE Indiana. It's been 90 degrees for the high the past two days and supposed to stay about that temperature the rest of the weekend - not very conducive to Youth Hunting in a blind. The old timers warned us of this at the beginning of Spring when they said it would be a bad & long insect season due to the mild winter down here. They were right. Good news is it's still warm enough to go swim in the pool.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Trev, my oldest daughter, has grown up in the deer woods and in front of a video camera. This is her last youth hunt that she is eligible to participate. So I gave her first dibs this weekend. She broke out her peewee sized muzzleloader and we went to the place that she killed her first youth season deer many years ago. A box blind over looking a corner area on the land that we own. My trail cams have been showing many nice bucks working a mock scrape line that I have made in that corner. 15 minutes into the morning, I saw a deer step around the field corner about 40 yards to our right. As we watched the deer trying to determine what it was through all of the leaves, I happened to turn to my left and there standing in one of my mock scrapes, not 20 yards from us, was a beautiful 6 pointer that I have many photos. I am not exactly sure where he came from, but he slid in next to us like a stealthy ninja. T got her muzzleloader up and ready. I pushed the record button and told her to pick her own shot. As he stood there broadside looking our direction, she let the smoke roll. He whirled and dashed into the corn. About 50 yards into his death sprint we heard him crash. Upon gutting him we found that that lead bullet and blown his heart almost completely apart.

This buck is bitter sweet for us. T is excited that this is her biggest buck to date, but there is a bit of a sad feeling that this is the last of her youth weekends. Technically it isn't a big deal, as she bow hunts and can hunt any time with me or alone in October. But the reality of growing up too fast hit her and I both yesterday morning.

Enough of my ramblings though.

Trevor and her Big 6 ... closing the chapter on her youth seasons. It has been a heck of a ride for us.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    12 year old got his first 8 pointer at about 7:20 am. 300BK with 110gr Barnes Tac-TX. One shot, he stumbled about 10 yards and DRT.

8pointer2.jpg

Dad was pretty proud. :D

Mosquitoes weren't so bad this morning.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Good stuff folks!
    All of my kids are "adults" :(

Had a blast taking them fishing, groundhog hunting, rock collecting etc when they were little.

That seems like long long long ago.

Another life and time.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats to all! And a big thank you to the State. both my kids got their first deer in the youth hunt sitting with me.
    Took my daughter this weekend. Passed on three does as we have meat yet and the population is down around us. Got to give my Emily credit. I gave her the green light and she never reached for her rifle. Waiting on a big buck to top her 9 from last bow season.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Congrats to all! And a big thank you to the State. both my kids got their first deer in the youth hunt sitting with me.
    Took my daughter this weekend. Passed on three does as we have meat yet and the population is down around us. Got to give my Emily credit. I gave her the green light and she never reached for her rifle. Waiting on a big buck to top her 9 from last bow season.

Teaching her to be a responsible hunter and good conservation practices is commendable. Good job!

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Congrats to all the kids and parents! Add one more to the ranks. This was our 4th youth season. When we started we were both totally green, he started all this and I had never hunted before. We have had a few close calls over the years, but nothing we were able to take a shot at. He finally got his first doe Saturday morning. Now that he has a dose of confidence, we will see what the rest of the season brings. And now that he finally got his first one, now dad may get to have a turn as well.

Top Bottom