• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I no longer have access to the nice NV gear I once did and I'd still like to be able to get out at night and put a few down when I go to the farm in another week. I've been on the fence about buying one of these lights for more than a year now. Does anyone have one who would be willing to sway my opinion one way or the other? I'm using a Nightforce scope so the low light performance is pretty good.

Thoughts?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My experience with the red light is limited to the old MiniMag with the red, blue, yellow, and clear lenses. I had one of the clip onto the barrel and onto the light mounts on it.
    I loved calling in yotes and especially foxes. It lights the eyes and silhouettes the head nicely. Foxes "hop" across the fields really neat. They were my favorites. The red light didn't seem to bother them one bit.
    I was using a Rem 788 in .222 and 3x9 Tasco World Class. Plenty of light pick up with shots out to 200 yds on occasion

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Any spot with red or yellow filter works, Led Maglite works really well with no filter. Some yotes lay down with the bright light but eyes are clearly visible.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm using a Predator Tactics Coyote Reaper light kit, has red, green, and white LEDs, a rail mount, scope mount, battery charger and I don't remember what else, basically everything needed. Even the red light will light up a yote a loonnggg ways out. Not cheap but well made and IMHO worth it.
    I got it last fall and while I didn't get out as much as I would have liked, it did everything I wanted it to do. My only complaint is that battery life seems a little short so a spare set of batteries might be advisable if you're going to be out for more than 3 or 4 hours.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I use a flip up red filter for spotting yotes, lights the eyes up nice. When more light is needed just flip the filter up and hit em with the bright light.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Cant remember the brand that I got last Xmas but it came from the Outdoorsman, you cant switch from green to red so I chose green. I was going to use it more for open fields. What I cant figure out, is how do you see them before you turn the green spot light on? I don't want to just have the green light on the whole time.

Any tips on how to hunt them at night either in the woods or the fields would be great.

FYI, I have a remote caller and a wiggling rabbit decoy

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Cant remember the brand that I got last Xmas but it came from the Outdoorsman, you cant switch from green to red so I chose green. I was going to use it more for open fields. What I cant figure out, is how do you see them before you turn the green spot light on? I don't want to just have the green light on the whole time.

Any tips on how to hunt them at night either in the woods or the fields would be great.

FYI, I have a remote caller and a wiggling rabbit decoy
    Leave the light on the whole time. I use a red scan light the entire time while calling. When the critter gets in range I light them up with the scope light. This process is called conditioning.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I looked at the Predator Tactics Coyote Reaper but Amazon was saying several weeks for delivery so I ended up ordering an Orion Predator H30 in red. Hopefully it'll get the job done decently. I appreciate the feedback.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got the Orion in. I was a little disappointed that the beam isn't adjustable, should have done a bit more research but I was in a bit of a hurry. Seems plenty bright to get me to 150-200 yards so it will hopefully perform fine. Got it mounted last night and hope to put it to work before the weekend is over.

35D2831F-2563-4A3F-84E6-A2EBA79480A6_zpsizzt25kt.jpg

alclark2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Muncie
    I run a green and red light. I like to use the red for scanning. It seems to light up their eyes the best. Once you spot them, try not to "burn" them with the brightest part of the beam. Watch them with the halo. I feel like the green illuminates the target better through the scope.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never used lights so I have no experience but in reading about it the consensus seemed to be red for song dogs and green for piggies. It'll take some tinkering with the position of the light on the gun to get it so the halo illuminates the center line of the scope rather than the center of the beam.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Regardless of your light of choice, I think you will find your range is based on your optics and choice of shooting lanes. The eyes reflect an amazingly low amount of light. I agree with keeping them in the halo of the light. Then move dead center when you are ready to shoot. I just use a red flip up filter, no longer available in any color but yellow.

You seem to be on the right track. I would not worry too much about tinkering with the light angle versus just holding the gun high or left/right of the eyes. Keeping it simple is the key.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have the adapter to go top of scope but it appears to have cost $.27 to make so I decided not to clamp it to my Nightforce.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm ready for tomorrow night!

20161105_195708.jpg

I also learned that I NEED a thermal scope! I'm trying to convince the wife...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Top Bottom