• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    This was my first year being drawn for this. I had heard good things and had some pretty high hopes. It turned out to absolutely suck. I won't bother putting in again ever. I had a lot of questions once I was drawn and couldn't find a ton of info on how the whole thing worked so I'm posting a little AAR of sorts for those who are interested in it or looking for more info. This is my personal experience only. Maybe some of you loved it. That's great.

I got drawn with 2 buddies so we headed down there. Park opens for hunters at 0500. We got there each day about about 0445. I was curious how many other hunters would be in there with us so that was my first question when I checked in. The official told me that 600 people were drawn for the hunt. I was shocked by that number. I can't imagine being in a park, even the size of Brown Co with 600 hunters.

Turns out nowhere near that number showed up. At least from my observation. I saw what I estimated to be about 100 or so hunters each day.

After check-in, you park your car in the long line of pick-ups (and the one car) and wait for the green flag to come down. At 0450, it's "Gentlemen, start your engines!" 0500 DNR cuts everyone loose and it. is. on. My buddies and I were laughing at how ridiculous it was to go speeding through the dark in a race to get to a particular spot. One car literally tried to cut me off. One suggestion for an improvement next year is to have someone sing Back Home Again in Indiana right before we take off. You know, Hoosier tradition and all.

Eventually we found a pull-off that didn't look too populated and went in and set up. Never did see a deer. Although plenty of hunters walked past my stand-LOL.

Monday was windy and raining all day which wasn't much fun sitting in a stand but that's deer hunting sometimes. I didn't mind--had my trusty Stormy Kromer on. I didn't expect to see much deer with the wind. Didn't end up seeing anything but 8 turkeys and about 15 hunters from my stand. Turns out someone shot a turkey left it there and DNR was all up in arms trying to catch the culprit. Don't know how that shook out.

Tuesday was a repeat of Monday except there seemed to be a few more vehicles lined up in the starting grid. No rain. Not as much wind. The report I was given on Tues am said that 8 deer were checked in on Monday. Rumor going around the line was that there were still 5 deer left in the park, which made us all anxious to get out there and try our hand at harvesting such an enormous bounty. We all wished each other good luck on bagging one of the 5. Green flag came down and we were off again in the race into the darkness. The truck in front of me was squealing tires. I thought it was pointless to drive so fast but hey, if you ain't first, you're last, so I got a little sideways in one or two of the turns myself.

I got up in my stand about 0530. Since the hunting sucked so bad on Monday, I did a little scouting in the afternoon and came up with what I thought was a better place for Tues. Other hunters must have had the same idea I had because after I was up in my stand, hunter after hunter came walking toward me. I shined a flashlight just to let them know I was there. I honestly didn't mind if anyone set up next to me as I felt it was unlikely any deer would be within miles of all of this noise but I just wanted them to know where I was in case they had a problem setting up so close to someone else.

Eventually it got so bad, I just sat in the tree with my headlamp on so the line forming would see where I was. At one point, I thought if it got much more dense with hunters, we could at least pass stuff to each other from our treestands without ever having to get down. I think if we had 5 more show up in my area, we could have incorporated as a small town. (I couldn't help but chuckle at the guys dousing themselves with scent blocker. As if spraying some chemical would magically make up for the racket of cars driving around the roads and the army of hunters marching through the woods clanging climbing stands.)

Didn't see a single deer on Tues and judging from the very rare gun shot I heard, I wouldn't be surprised if around the same number of deer were taken on Tues as on Monday. A special shoutout to the guy who fired 5 rounds in 2 seconds: Impressive.

Around noon, I had had enough of the ridiculousness and decided I'd just go home. Just to be on the safe side, I yelled, "Cease Fire! Going down range!" I got down and walked out, giving a brief "Good luck" to each hunter I passed.

It was a great experience. I mean, after all, I didn't get shot. And I got to be out in nature seeing all the creatures--on Tuesday, I saw two squirrels AND a woodpecker. It was awesome.

I'm debating putting in for the draw next year for the sole purpose of walking stand to stand selling jerky, coffee and soft drinks. I think an enterprising guy could make a decent chunk of change doing that.

Good luck and be safe out there!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the chuckle. You've described to a T the very experience which caused me to give up on hunting for almost 20 years. The hunt itself is much more important than killing a deer and there simply isn't any fun on public land (for me anyway).

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    This is INGO gold! I barely made it to the end from laughing so hard. It honestly sounds like a terrible way to spend 3 days even if you were out in the woods. I'm really glad, that when I hunt on southern Indiana public ground, I don't have to worry about bothering more than one or two hunters throughout the whole season. Not too many people want to get out and walk a mile from the nearest road.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Thank you Ex, I appreciated your humor, still wiping the tears from my eyes. I abandon the woods once gun season starts. I will pick it up in January when it is coldr than a tin cup in a tent. Then I' ll be out with my 22 stalking again. Happy holidays.

Last edited:

ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    I'm in on the new business plan! We could sell all kinds of refreshments and offer commemorative collectibles. We could include shot glasses, hats, glasses, fanny packs, and t-shirts with the phrase; Brown County Wilderness Hunt and Race 20_ _. Thanks for the laughs and the info. Seriously, was it that bad or was it really amazing and you are telling everyone it was awful to secure your chances for next year? LOL

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Approx 420 hunters actually showed the first day. My buddies and I got 3 deer total. When we checked 2 in on Tuesday, we were 116&117. Seemed low vs years in the past.

I liked Ned when we were assigned zones

i think that that they should have the hunt every other year instead of 2 years in s row then one off.

We we had fun overall but agree that it is a little nuts at the start of the first day

Last edited:

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    This is INGO gold! I barely made it to the end from laughing so hard. It honestly sounds like a terrible way to spend 3 days even if you were out in the woods. I'm really glad, that when I hunt on southern Indiana public ground, I don't have to worry about bothering more than one or two hunters throughout the whole season. Not too many people want to get out and walk a mile from the nearest road.

I don't mind hunting public land, especially like you say. You go back far enough and no one else is dumb enough to go and you have the place to yourself. I was back in Owen about a mile and a half and shot a fat buck on opening day. It about killed me getting him out but I didn't see another hunter the whole time and that was opening day.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Does DNR publish these draw hunt harvest statistics? I would like to see them. We were told last year they took 500 out of Brown County. That seems to be a pretty high number to me. If you get 500 in one year, maybe you could skip a year?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Approx 420 hunters actually showed the first day. My buddies and I got 3 deer total. When we checked 2 in on Tuesday, we were 116&117. Seemed low vs years in the past.

I liked Ned when we were assigned zones

i think that that they should have the hunt every other year instead of 2 years in s row then one off.

We we had fun overall but agree that it is a little nuts at the start of the first day

Surely that was 116 and 117 carried over from the first two day draw hunt on the 17/18, right? One of the guys told us that about 100 was taken out during the early draw hunt, which would jive with what we saw on Mon/Tue of the second draw hunt this week.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    OP, this is some funny ****!

It was a great experience. I mean, after all, I didn't get shot. And I got to be out in nature seeing all the creatures--on Tuesday, I saw two squirrels AND a woodpecker. It was awesome.

I saw two squirrels outside today and never left my living room! :laugh:

Agree 100%. Can we request a sticky on this one?

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Don't know about the other parks,but I honestly think I could show you more bald eagles in Versailles than deer.These hunts are to the point of being a total joke.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Don't know about the other parks,but I honestly think I could show you more bald eagles in Versailles than deer.These hunts are to the point of being a total joke.

The thought did occur to me more than once that I had about as much chance of shooting a penguin as I did a deer.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm in on the new business plan! We could sell all kinds of refreshments and offer commemorative collectibles. We could include shot glasses, hats, glasses, fanny packs, and t-shirts with the phrase; Brown County Wilderness Hunt and Race 20_ _. Thanks for the laughs and the info. Seriously, was it that bad or was it really amazing and you are telling everyone it was awful to secure your chances for next year? LOL

All articles need bullet holes in them....THAT IS MONEY!!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    All articles need bullet holes in them....THAT IS MONEY!!

I actually think y'all are on to something.

We can give prizes for the first guy in a stand. Most guys in a stand. Guy who falls out of his stand from the furthest height. Most rounds fired in a second. Which group can pass the binos tree stand to tree stand the longest distance without dropping them to the ground. Take a break for lunch--get Arby's to cater with their venison sandwiches. Maybe have some mid-afternoon games--"Simon says get in a circle and clear your guns".

Swag. LOTS OF SWAG. "DNR organized this fantastic hunt and all I got was shot" T-shirts.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Might I ask what effort you put in? Did you go to the park before hand and spend some time scouting? Did you make a visit to the park office prior to the hunt and try to gather any information? Were you willing to walk more than 100 yards from the road or parking lot to hunt?

I went to the Charlestown State Park hunt. I spent two afternoons prior to the hunt scouting the park out and looking for deer sign. I visited the park office and inquired about the hunt and was told there was 180 hunters drawn. I asked where they might suggest we hunt and she told me she did not have a specific area to recommend but she told me where everyone always goes, I used that information to make sure I picked a location that was not in that area. I took my climber in on Saturday before the hunt and setup in an area where I had found several scrapes and rubs. All I had to the morning of the hunt was walk in and climb. I had about a half mile hike in the woods to the location I hunted and I didn't see another hunter other than my buddy either day when going in or out.

I didn't experience any racing or crazy driving. Although at Charlestown they started checking a vehicle at a time in about 4:45 and once they checked you in you were free to go into the park to your hunting location. So it wasn't an everyone at once thing.

I wasn't anymore successful than you were though. I don't know how many hunters actually showed up. Monday as you said really wasn't great with the wind and rain as I believe the deer were probably bedded down. Tuesday was much better but I still didn't see anything, but that is hunting and I've been hunting more than once and not seen a deer. After all you've picked a small spot in thousands of acres of woods and are hoping a deer passes by. I wouldn't expect great results if you didn't scout and just picked a pull off spot and walked in as you indicated in your first post.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I found trails, scrapes and rubs. Found lots of prints, acorns, water and prime bedding areas in pines and thickets.

Unfortunately what I couldn't find was 1.) 300 yards in any direction without seeing blaze orange and 2.) deer.

But I certainly wasn't the only one. I would say 90%+ were unsuccessful. I'm not blaming anyone. Not like I'm bitter or anything. It was a great time if only for the humorous lunacy of it and another DNR competency anecdote. But with 400 hunters walking through the woods at the exact same time it's certainly not conducive to a great hunt. I tried it once. That's enough. I wish all of y'all well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Funny story. Haven't hunted public land in a long time but that many people would be scary that close.

Top Bottom