• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I received a pass to all Indiana State Parks for Christmas. The pass came with $65 to spend on or in a state park in Indiana. My wife and I would like to spend a relaxing weekend together.

What suggestions do you have for me? Where should we go? What is there to do in the area?

She isn't big on spending lots of time in the cold weather, but we would like to go in the next month or two.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Any of the State Park Inns are great for a weekend get-a-way....but $65 won't cover the first night....almost but not quite. We enjoy Clifty Falls, Spring Mill, and McCormick's Creek the most....the Inn at Brown County has an indoor water "park" but we stayed there one weekend last summer and it was a filthy pig sty, the AC didn't work in our TINY TINY room...the rooms at Brown County look nothing like the picture on their website. It sucks don't go there.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Clifty falls inn, the suites on the park side have nice large in room whirlpools and large 4 shower head stone showers. Its our favorite state park inn and can make for a good weekend with your significant other!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    McCormick's Creek and Spring mill are both very nice parks. Good buffets as well. I've never stayed in their inns so I can't comment on that.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We've stayed at Clifty Inn several times, and it's always nice. If it's a crappy day weather wise, you could spend some time looking around downtown Madison, plenty of shops and places to eat. The Clifty Inn restaurant is really good, too, they have fried biscuits and apple butter.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    She isn't big on spending lots of time in the cold weather, but we would like to go in the next month or two.

Others have mentioned some great parks. Turkey Run is also nice, but it has been almost two decades since I stayed at their inn. What I don't understand is the desire to go in two months if you don't want to spend time in the cold? Do you two do any hiking? Most folks like to drive to Pokagon up north of Ft. Wayne. They also have an inn but they are known for their toboggan run. They are usually booked up early so rooms might not be available. Of course this is an outdoor winter activity. If you decide to wait, Turkey Run has some great trails and there is plenty to see in Parke County. Spring Mill has a pioneer village that operates during the warmer weather months and they also have some great hiking there as well. If you still decide to go during the winter, I would just do some searching on places of interest in nearby cities or towns. See if anything sounds interesting.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    another +1 for Clifty. I've never stayed there - but downtown/old town Madison is beautiful.

McCormick's Creek - if you wanted to hit Bloomington.

Spring Mill also isn't too far from Bloomington.

Pokagon St. Park if you want to hit up the toboggan run! That's a fun time there.

Turkey Run if you just want to be by yourself and hike in the cold...alone. Plus Shades St. Park is an easy drive. You'll definitely be hiking alone there!

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Thank you all! You never disappoint when I bring you the tough questions.

As far as why we are going in the cold months when she doesn't want to be in the cold... I owe her a few days of couples time since I spent so much time looking in the woods grocery shopping.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We got the same pass last year but never used the $65 GC. We got it again this year, but got a $65 card to be used for camping. I'm pretty sure we're not going camping with our 2 yr old. It says it can be used at cabins, but only if the cabins are run by the inn, and even then not all of them.

Jason

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    We drove out to Turkey Run last year during the winter just to get out and drive. We did a bit of hiking as well but I was impressed with how clean and nice the lodge was. They had a big fire going and I noticed what seemed to be a fair amount of families setting around just reading books, playing checkers and such in the main areas. We ate at the buffet for lunch and it was really good.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    McCormick's Creek. The wife and I got married on the front lawn of the Inn a little over 10 years ago. Lots of little wineries around there. For dinner, skip the buffet and go to the Hilltop Restaurant just outside of town. I guarantee you won't have a better meal for less than $50/couple. I got a huge steak and the wife got fried chicken and we shared. All sides are served family style. Can't recommend it enough.

Top Bottom