• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm looking for a place that I can set out into the wilderness with a backpack and a rifle for a couple of days. Preferably do some target shooting during the day and stop along the trail and camp by night. I've heard mixed reports on this being allowed at Hoosier National. Anyone know of any good spots for this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2016
    danville
    Charles Deam Wilderness south of Bloomington is nice. Indiana's only federal wilderness. But, no target shooting. You can hunt there but no target.

If I was better at posting links, Im almost positive that no target shooting is allowed in Hoosier National. Someone will post the link

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    On Hoosier National:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hoosier/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5288194
    • Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be. Shooting across roads or bodies of water is also prohibited.
    • Target shooting is permitted in the general forest area (except in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness) as long as other persons in the area are not placed at risk and there is no damage to resources such as using a tree as a target.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Let somebody know where you are going, I live next to the HNF and have had lost people show up at my door.

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    Let somebody know where you are going, I live next to the HNF and have had lost people show up at my door.

I agree with this and will expand there are a lot of caves to explore in the area plus your general holes in random places. Blue river has some great little fishing holes as well.

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    I basically live on the HNF when I'm not working, rifle carry is ok in both the HNF and Deam wilderness but you can only target shoot in the HNF. If you spend much time out there you will probably run into me and my husky at some point.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Hoosier National Forest = Big Tree People Park.

Are there any animals living in that sterile human managed environment?

Top Bottom