• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am trying to upgrade my food plot this spring/summer. I wanted to do the recommended process and have my soil tested, but I also wanted to compare results on what "hacks" you see on the Internet.
    The first test was done using the soil ph tester you find at box stores that has two probes that stick into the ground. It read 8.5 ph which is alkaline.
    The second test was done using vinegar and baking soda. I took so much soil and added a half-cup of vinegar to it in a glass bowl. No foaming. I took another sample and made it into mud and added baking soda. No foaming. Since neither sample foamed my soil was supposed to be neutral or a ph of 7.
    The last test I got a bag from the local soil and water conservation office and sent it off to a test lab in Ft Wayne. It came back and said my soil has a ph of 6.0 which is acidic. It also recommended that I add 3,000 pounds of lime per acre, 50 pounds nitrogen, 120 pounds phosphate, and 75 pounds of potash (per acre).

This all goes to show that hacks and cheap gadgets don't really give accurate results.

My plan is to not add nitrogen since clover makes its own. I have read adding nitrogen just feeds the weeds. The issue is I don't have a good way to get 3,000 pounds of lime up to my food plot other than 50 pound bags. That would be 60 bags at $4.00 a bag at Rural King, and a whole lotta work since all I have is a little lawn broadcast spreader that has seen better days. But, if I don't put down the lime, the plants will not be able to use most of the fertilizer.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, get a lawn fertilizer spreader and use that for he lime. Make sure to till it in and that should be fine. Carrying the bags though isn't gonna be easy. I have a Soil Science degree from UIUC. Used to do these test in the lab after I graduated for extra cash. Truth is you can get a pretty good result using pool testing chemicals. Adding Nitrogen feeds everything, not just the weeds. If you are going to plant clover though, I would be sure to add the potassium and phosphate plus make sure the soil has the right pH and the microbes needed for the clover to make the nodules that fix the nitrogen, it's like soy beans in that regard. I would wager the microbes are there though, they are pretty much everywhere. The pH though is vital for the clover.

Are you justgoing to till the clover into the soil or harvest it to feed animals?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    what soil tester did you get?.......who did you send your soil too?.........you don't know anyone with a 1 ton or pickup to haul you a couple ton of lime from the crusher?

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    AGarbers- Trust to lab results on the pH and lime recommendations, this will be your best option. The N, P, & K fertilizer rates should be based on the crop, and it's use, you listed for the soil test. If your plot is actually an acre (209' X 209') then use the amounts listed per acre. If the plot is smaller, or larger, adjust the amounts accordingly. If your plot is accessible by large truck or tractor you may get the local AG-One Co-op or other fertilizer dealer to spread it for you. It will be bulk product and they may be able to mix the fertilizer in with the lime. You may have to pay a premium for the small plot and amount, but this will probably be less costly and easier than bagged material (bagged stuff is expensive). Check with the local soil & water conservation district office if you don't know who the fertilizer dealers are. If you have to go with bagged stuff you have some work ahead of you. Good luck.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Huh, I used a home test kit and it said I was alkaline, so I put sulphur on my garden to reduce the pH. Now I am wondering... although, everything has been growing fine. So I guess I won't worry about it.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    what soil tester did you get?.......who did you send your soil too?.........you don't know anyone with a 1 ton or pickup to haul you a couple ton of lime from the crusher?

The soil tester was from Walmart ten years ago or so. The soil sample was sent to A&L Great Lakes Labs in Ft Wayne. My food plot is on top of a hill behind our house and covers our septic line and field so heavy equipment is a no-go, plus the slope is about 30% grade that I don't want tore up with attempts to get anything up there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Even if you cant get them to spread it due to the heavy equipment issues, you can still buy bulk and save. Last time I needed stone it was still cheaper to buy bulk and pay the $60 delivery fee than to go to the hardware store and buy it @$3/40lb bag.
    I think the half ton of stone cost me something crazy like $35. That would get me enough bagged retail stone to fit in my trunk.

So yeah, you'll have to spread it yourself, but still cheaper than bagged. And maybe you could get somebody in there with light equipment in there to spread it?

Top Bottom