• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    2017 will be the first year that I take my son out with me hunting. My initial plan is to let him go and sit in a blind with me as long as he can handle it then leave. I have no doubt that he will want to deer hunt with me as he gets older, 10/11/12...

He enjoys the outdoors and loves the idea on hunting and fishing. He has become a pretty good fisherman using a spinning reel since he was 6. The only thing that could be an issue is the sit without seeing anything and where I hunt it is no guarantee you will see deer. He is still a young boy who loves his video games and has the attention span of a flea.

Some guys I work with that live in Alabama and Georgia have had their sons hunting since age 6. I am looking to buy him a gun that he could handle this year at 9 if he shows the capability of sitting for 2-3 hours, if not one that would serve him well through his early teens.

I was thinking about looking at the .243. I saw a nice Rem 700 combo at wally world that was a youth model. I would think that would take him into his early teens right? Then I am sure he will want something along the .308 line since that is what I shoot.

Anyone else have a son or daughter who is young and shoots a .243? I have never shot one so I have no clue how they feel.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    my 9 yearold grandson uses an H&R 243 youth model. he got a deer last year with a 357 but wanted something with more range. he shoots 243 well out to 100 yards just needs alittle more range time. gun shoots plenty good to 200. its light weight short stocked but longer stock could be added as he grows. H&R doesnt make this model any longer but i imagine plenty used ones around.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I'm a big dude and never out grew my 243. Your son will shoot it for his entire lifetime. My nephew is scrawny and handles a 243 just fine, he turned 10 in December. Great rifle caliber for Indiana.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    243 is the way to go for sure . I would say it has the lightest recoil of all legal calibers . A lot of kids can get by with a non youth model and like yetti said , it would last a lifetime . Perfect whitetail rife IMO .

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    Ya, know.. now that rifle is legal it seems like shotguns have lost the Indiana edge.

at 10yrs old I started with a Youth Rem 870 20g. At 13 or 14 .. My dad traded it off and bought me a Rem 870 express mag 12g. (used it up until this past season) I got the Smooth bore Deer barrel and the long vented barrel in a package at walmart. I hunted everything with that gun.

Funny that i feel more comfortable reaching out to 150yrds with my 12gauge (Scoped) Cantilever 21in Barrel than i currently do with my BAR Mark 2 30-06

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    The Remington 700 youth should come with spacers to adjust LOP as the shooter grows, I got one for my daughter for christmas this year switched out scope and bases for Leopold scope and mounts have not shot it yet need to work up a load for it.
    Its a nice light rifle should shoot just fine, she is 11

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    My nephew will be 10 this month. He was given a Mossberg 20ga two years ago. He's shot it and handled it well for the most part but it isn't the easiest for him to carry or handle in the stand.

This year I went deer hunting for the first time and went with him. I took my 300blk pistol. He liked it a lot. I know it isn't traditional and many don't even know you can use them but I think it would be perfect for a kid. My 15 year old daughter also liked the idea better than her 20ga.

Walking the fields and woods with an AR pistol slung across my chest was pretty nice.

I plan to build another 300blk pistol this year.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    My nephew will be 10 this month. He was given a Mossberg 20ga two years ago. He's shot it and handled it well for the most part but it isn't the easiest for him to carry or handle in the stand.

This year I went deer hunting for the first time and went with him. I took my 300blk pistol. He liked it a lot. I know it isn't traditional and many don't even know you can use them but I think it would be perfect for a kid. My 15 year old daughter also liked the idea better than her 20ga.

Walking the fields and woods with an AR pistol slung across my chest was pretty nice.

I plan to build another 300blk pistol this year.

Same here for my Son... We built up a 300BK a couple years ago. When the law changed it was game on. He was very experienced at shooting it at 50,100,150 working on hold-over which wasn't much. 2nd day of youth weekend-nice 8pt, 1 shot, DRT. 110gr Nosler.

Wouldn't trade that morning for gold. It may not be very 'nostalgic or traditional' but it works very well.

:ingo:

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    My son is just 5 and he went out and sat in a blind with me this year for about an hour, he was ready to go so we left. I have a Rossi 92 in 357 that he can use when the time comes that he is ready.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    muzzleloader is hard to beat... start with 50grains of powder and work up. that will give him more time in the woods.

I disagree . I have yet to handle a light muzzleloader . Heavy long barrels , plus a ram rod and supplies . If you shoot light loads , range and energy are diminished greatly . For a youth you need something light and easy to handle .

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks for all of the input. I think the .243 is the route I am going to go.

Now I have a second question. If I am reading the regulations correctly, you need to take a hunters safety course if you are born after 1986 in order to obtain a hunting license. I don't believe you need a hunting license to but a deer tag and hunt deer so can my son hunt with me without the hunters safety course?

I am not against him taking the class but if he were to go hunting with my dad and I it would be in a blind and in a extremely controlled environment. He would have already proven himself at the range capable on multiple occasions and would be shooting off a tripod in the blind. It wouldn't be like him shouldering a gun as we squirrel/turkey/rabbit hunt where he is in control of all variables of the shot.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Depending on range of possible shots, a 357 or 44 lever gun. Light, low recoil, and just plain fun to shoot.

regarding licenses. Take him to a hunter Ed class. It is quality time spent together. He needs it to hunt period. Unless you go the apprentice route. If memory serves that is only good for two or three licenses.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    As I understand it this new law allowing certain rifle calibers is ONLY for private land hunting. If you and your son plan to do any public land hunting the .243 would not be allowed.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    another great option would be a Ruger 77/357 or 77/44 if you can find one. Lite, handy, not much kick and can be used for life. Fairly cheap to practice and plink with. At 42 I still remember my dad buying me a 12 gauge 870 with a hastings slug barrel when I was about 10. I remember thinking this thing kicks so hard, there is no way I would shoot it while standing 400 feet(probably was only 12 feet) up in a tree if the world record albino gold antlered buck was in site.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Thanks for all of the input. I think the .243 is the route I am going to go.

Now I have a second question. If I am reading the regulations correctly, you need to take a hunters safety course if you are born after 1986 in order to obtain a hunting license. I don't believe you need a hunting license to but a deer tag and hunt deer so can my son hunt with me without the hunters safety course?

I am not against him taking the class but if he were to go hunting with my dad and I it would be in a blind and in a extremely controlled environment. He would have already proven himself at the range capable on multiple occasions and would be shooting off a tripod in the blind. It wouldn't be like him shouldering a gun as we squirrel/turkey/rabbit hunt where he is in control of all variables of the shot.

He can get an apprentice license . You can get one 3 times in your lifetime . After that you need hunters Ed

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    CVA Hunter in .44 mag. Run .44 Specials until he can handle the other.
    Lighter loads.............50 yard gun. Put a reddot on there.
    No "scope eye" risk. Easier to get on target, no image loss due to slight head position change.
    If they make it in .357 mag...........could go that route.

Want him to hunt late season?
    Knight muzzleloader. 240 gr bullet in sabot and 80 grains of FFg (or equiv).
    https://www.knightrifles.com/product/littlehorn-youth-reaper-buck-muzzleloader/

MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    I am not going to comment on gun selection and I don't want to hijack the thread.

I just wanted to say its a good thing you're doing. Some of my best memories from going up involve doing with my dad what you are doing with your son. He's passed on now, but the memories he left me with are strong, alive, and well.

You've got a great opportunity ahead of you! I sincerely wish you and your son the best....Enjoy it!

Top Bottom