What happens when the steering in your boat goes kaput? THIS!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Unless you drive a canoe with a Minnkota on the front this applies to most any boat owner. These two kids went from cool beans to almost dying in about 3 seconds.

[video=youtube;1AkgjPkCQXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AkgjPkCQXc[/video]

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Tagged for later viewing away from the firewall.
    Guessing that someone cut the motor, then dropped anchor, at least if they were thinking.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have heard stories about breaking steering cables. Good those guys were using the dead man switch and wearing their PFD's.

I know it's dog eat dog in tournaments, but it's unnerving that some of the other boats just blew on by when they had to see the accident and those guys in the water.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    When you turn the volume up you can hear the prop loose bite. I don't think the steering is the problem. They bow hooked the lead boats wake. They should have trimmed down and decelerated when leaving the prop wash of the lead boat.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I'm glad someone did finally stop. That really pissed me off watching those other boats go by, It occurs that hypothermia could also have got them too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm glad someone did finally stop. That really pissed me off watching those other boats go by, It occurs that hypothermia could also have got them too.

When we owned boats (multiples) we always checked on those in a jamb. Always. It is just the right thing to do. I could understand the fast runners on the far side not seeing them in time but a few were close enough to have seen them go down.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I'm not surprised it took a long time to for someone to stop. People couldnt care less in helping others. I'm not a people person and even I have stopped at accidents to help people out if no help was present.

Once you've been in a flipped truck off the highway and watch all the jack-wagons drive by while you kick out the windshield (I wasn't the driver), you lose what little faith you have in people.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Once you've been in a flipped truck off the highway and watch all the jack-wagons drive by while you kick out the windshield (I wasn't the driver), you lose what little faith you have in people.

I've been "trapped" in an upside down car in the ditch of a state highway. I'm thankful for the people that stopped and help us college kids. (When I say trapped - I was hanging upside down by the seat belt. I couldn't unbuckle due to the tension on the buckle not allowing the plunger/clasp to release from the hole in the buckle. I did finally manage it - then I crawled out the broken back windshield)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    One of the toughest days of my life, lost a good friend in an accident something like that, in a tourney. One of the few people I truly trusted running a boat with me in it, and my Bro is an R&D engineer in the marine industry so I know guys who know boats.

It doesn't take much for the perfect **** storm to line up at high speed. I'm surprised the one guy didn't get knocked out. You rarely see helmets in fishing boats.

My friend had one, on the seat, next to him.

He had 100mph impact rated vests too, at 70+ they fail if not fully strapped and snapped. It was ripped. The water will tear it off of your body.

Kill switch not hooked, may or may not have made a difference the way it happened. We will never know for sure. I do know it's tough to find that stuff floating, and when you grab it, he is not in it. If you are knocked unconscious and your expensive PFD is torn off, your dead.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The gents who made the video commented that a lot of boats turned around to help, it just wasn't so obvious in the video. Also said they'll be making another video with further details on the crash.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The gents who made the video commented that a lot of boats turned around to help, it just wasn't so obvious in the video. Also said they'll be making another video with further details on the crash.

Thats a relief.
    In thinking about this it takes a bit to haul one of the glitter missiles down to do a 180 on a narrow water way. And not get run over.

Top Bottom