• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My father in law has always talked about a moose hunt and it looks like we're going to try and make it happen either this year or next. If anyone has any suggestions on anything I'don't love to hear it. I need suggestions on everything from where to go, how to transport, and maybe even some good recipes if we get lucky.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    This isn't real specific, but I'd guess ontario Canada. Sorry, probably not much help.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    The answer to your question begins with how much money do you want to spend and what are your expectations for the size of moose you want to kill? Can he handle a horseback hunt, does he want to do a float, how good of shape is he in, are you going to try to do this DIY or guided?

Dirty Steve

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Decatur
    You will need to go to Canada or Alaska if you want it to happen for sure. Expect to spend a minimum of $5k to go on any decent hunt. If you want to go in the lower 48, start putting in for points in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Utah and Wyoming. Probably will take a minimum of 7 points to have a chance of drawing in any of those states.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been planning on either Canada or Newfoundland. Alaska isn't within a 24 hour drive. I know it'll be incredibly expensive. We've both recently lost a bunch of weight, but he's pushing 60 and has had a couple knee surgeries. We're not going to be doing 10 miles hikes, but honestly I'm just as happy to go along with just to help out on all the work. It's not like two guys each need to bag a moose to have enough meat for the winter.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Moose is the best flavored meat I've ever eaten. I'd think you could substitute it for beef in any recipe on the planet and it would be better than you've had before.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Based on what you are telling me and wanting to go this year or next, I'd pick Newfoundland. You can go on a good hunt there for under $7K each. Chances of success are very high and it's not a difficult hunt. However, antler size is smaller. Expect a good moose in Newfoundland to be in the 30" to 45" range with 45" being uncommon.

I will also second the comment regarding moose meat. I love elk, but would throw an entire freezer full of elk out for a freezer full of moose. You do not know the meaning of work until you kill one in a bog and have to pack it out on your back. Been there, done that.

You can cross Wyoming off your list, as mentioned above. I'm sitting on 16 preference points for Shiras moose right now. The units I want to draw will require about 18-20 points. You aren't going to draw that tag with less than 15 unless you are just extremely lucky or have enough money to buy a Governor's tag and if you start buying points now, you'll never get there because there are so many people in the license pool.

Dirty Steve

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You will definitely want to go to Canada but how much you want to spend and how big you want the moose to be will determine which province you want to hunt.
    Quebec seems to be the cheapest without a tag draw.
    Alberta and British Columbia are in the $6,000-$7,000 range with larger Moose.
    Newfoundland is the middle of the road option with prices in the $4,500-$6,000 range.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Newfoundland has some of the highest success rates overall for moose . I disagree with the 30'' to 45 '' range . I went with 8 people a few years back , one 1 hunter harvested a bull with paddles . The rest of the bulls were all young and just had points , no paddles . This is very typical of Newfoundland , killing one in 30-45'' is very possible , just not the norm from what I seen .

Beautiful country and the hunts can usually be tailored to your physical abilities . My guide and I averaged 5-7 miles in the am and again in the evening . Others hunted from ATV's

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Yes, most moose in Newfoundland are small. To kill one on the 30"-45" range you going to have to do a fly in remote camp. Look at Ray's or Eford's. You will be in the $6-$7k range. Agreed, those sizes are the upper end of moose in Newfoundland. Didn't want the OP thinking he had the opportunity to kill a 60" plus moose on Newfoundland.

Dirty Steve

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The best advise I can give is you should consider taking a experienced moose hunter like myself along. No, Ive never done it, but I read about it on the internet, and we all know there is no higher mastery of a skill than reading about it in the net.:):

Seriously, have a great trip. Your taking one of my bucket list hunts.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Have fun! The biggest challenge will be getting to where the moose are; once you are there you can walk/drive up to them and they just chew their cud looking at you...or charge you and beat the poo out of your vehicle. YMMV.

When choosing appropriate calibers don't forget the bear that live with these moose. It's the parachute thing, you may never need it...

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    you will have to take firearms training in Canada . before you can buy a tag. you'll need a passport . if you've ever had a DUI expect to be turned down .

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I'm unaware of the firearms training thing , might be something new . All we had to do was fill out paperwork to transport firearms across the border , no big deal really . Also a ferry ride to get to Newfoundland , 8hrs ride if I remember correctly , if you plan on driving there .

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've taken firearms into Ontario on 3 separate trips. That's been a while though so I'd be making sure I'm up on current standards before trying it again anyway.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Isn't there some kind of outdoor expo at the fairgrounds every year? My friends always went to that and talked to the outfitters about hunting and fishing trips.

Top Bottom