• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Am kicking around the ideal of possibly putting a scope on my Browning BPS, NWTF turkey gun. I currently have the HiViz turkey sights on the gun, HIVIZ® Shooting Systems | Manufacturing high quality firearm fiber optic and tritium sights » TriViz Front and Rear Shotgun Sight Set for Vent Ribbed Shotguns with Removable Front Bead, but am considering mounting some sort of scope instead.
    Who prefers red-dot scopes, and why? Who prefers more traditional scopes, and why? What brand, and models would you recommend?

I`m open to input, both from personal experience, as well as anecdotal.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Its all going to depend on budget. I sell a lot of red dots, 1-4's, 1.75-5's for turkey gun's.

I was thinking of first determining whether red dot was the way to go, or a more traditional scope, then, performance, then, pricing. Tghe thing that puts me off about a red dot is the battery...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think it's more of user preference. If I want precision, a scope is the way to go. If I want minute of man, I prefer a red dot. Red dots are more forgiving when it comes to cheek weld and eye relief. For me, precision rifles and slug guns get scoped, scatter guns, pistol carbines, rifles that shoot "close enough to hurt" get red dots.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was thinking of first determining whether red dot was the way to go, or a more traditional scope, then, performance, then, pricing. Tghe thing that puts me off about a red dot is the battery...

You can get around that a few way, the most popular would be a prism site where if the battery died you are still in the fight.

You can make the decision's in whatever order you want, but know that budget might decide it for you and render all the decisions you have made pointless. No matter if its guns, scopes, cars, house's, etc budget is the first thing to get lined out if you want to make the decision efficiently.

For instance, lets look at new trucks. Your going through looking at options (without thinking about budget) and you come up with the 2017 GMC duramax denali as your winner because you know you want navigation, 4x4, and diesel. They you figure out the budget at 30k. Now all the different models truck you looked at was wasted time because your budget limits your options.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I prefer a red dot. I get around the battery issue by carrying a fresh battery in my gear. I have talked with many guides and veteran turkey hunters and most prefer a red dot for the sheer simplicity. The folks I have spoken with say the biggest reason hunters miss (using open sights) is because the dang big black barrel gets in the way of seeing the turkey's head bobbing around, so they lift their cheek off the stock. They also don't like scopes because now you have tunnel vision with a target that moves around like one of those dancing blow up figures that business use to attract customers. I bought the Hawke red dot, but I also see Truglo makes a camo model for shotguns. You just can't get any easier than a red dot.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I love a red dot! Mine's mounted on the rib using an Aimtech mount called the Rib Rider. It's mounted scout style. No problem with batteries, just put a new one in at the start of the season. Mine last all year if I don't forget to turn it off. Don't skimp on quality because I've seen cheap ones ruined after a couple shots with a 3 1/2" Mag.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I ran a red dot for years and then went to a 4x scope. I like being able to browse tree lines and a couple of years ago it came in real handy in choosing a bird when there were more than one coming in on me.
    It's only a tool.
    Daddy always told me "If you can shoot pool you can use a broomstick"

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Sounds like I need to look into this one...

I don't know if one company is making all of them and then re-branding them, or if there are just a lot of copycat makers. I checked out the Burris Fastfire and it looks identical to my Hawke Optics red dot, and I saw other copies of it by other makers. Burris has been a good brand in the past so I doubt you will be unhappy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never had a scope on a turkey gun, usually at my woods ranges it's more about how much shot.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Never had a scope on a turkey gun, usually at my woods ranges it's more about how much shot.

We have some area where we hunt that is very much like your photo, but we hunt some field edges too where the birds use as strut zones, and shots could be out to the max range of the loads ability to kill cleanly. Plus, with 60 year old eyes, where there to be any magnification, it would only be a help.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Im kinda caught on the fence to scope not to scope my turkey gun as I wear prescription glasses and my sight is changing and I'm having difficulty seeing my iron sights now so I might be forced to go to a scope this season. If I do I will try to make it a low power fixed, preferably a red dot sight as I've shot ALLOT of my turkeys as they were moving some quite rapidly so, making finding them in a conventional scope potentially difficult.

Top Bottom