• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Have a boom sprayer for my UTV and want to spray some grassy trails & areas on my land this upcoming season for ticks. I figure it is spitting into the wind, but if I can knock them down even a little I'll consider that a win.

Last year I used a Bayer Advanced concentrate that I bought at Lowes, but I was curious if the folks here with more agricultural background than I would have any better recommendations.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Premetherin seems to work the best for me. Make sure it's the main ingredient and I usually put it on at a higher concentration. I have also heard that Chickens are excellent at keeping the tick population at bay.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    If your walking your trails for recreation, you can also just spray your cloths down with a mixture and let it dry.
    Tractor supply has it in a bottle in the horse supply isle. Has 10% Premetherin in it. I pick up a bottle for mushroom and turkey hunting and never get ticks on me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bodine Ant and Termite killer, available at Rural King. It's permethrin in a more concentrated, but still water dispersable form. We use it on our clothes and it keeps us pretty much tick free even though I live in tick-a-minute land.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I took a completely different approach to getting rid of the ticks on my land. I google searched "what eats ticks". Turns out the Preying Mantis will eat the heck out of ticks, and lady bugs will eat their eggs. One preying mantis egg case is supposed to release 200 preying mantis babies. For $20 on ebay or amazon you can buy about a dozen or so egg cases and scatter them all along the property. 200 x 12 = 2400. If half of them die or don't make it you've still got 1,200 little bugs that will only get hungrier as time goes on. For another $20, you can also buy about 4,500 lady bugs and sprinkle them all over your property.

I'm been on my property for 4 years now, and I've been doing what I mentioned above for 3 of those years. I have seen first hand that this works because the number of ticks has drastically gone down each year. The first year we had 3 or 4 and that's when I started putting the bugs out. The second year we had 2 ticks, and none since. Every year, I've stumbled across preying mantis egg cases throughout the property soI know they are not only surviving, but breeding and multiplying. The best part is that they're spreading out, and sustaining themselves. Every year goes by and I put more egg cases out to supplement, but at this point I honestly don't know if I'd even have to do it at all this year.

Putting bugs out there is just something to consider. I always figure that the sprays start to wear off and degrade shortly after being sprayed and every rain they'll get rinsed away a little more. Compare that to putting bugs out there that only get bigger and hungrier with time, they breed and multiply, and little to no effort to setup and start up in addition to being dirt cheap. Just throwing that option out there for you.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have zero confidence in Bayer brands. Just my experience.

I live in ground zero for Lyme disease and some variations you never heard of, permethrin is his I roll. Buy the 10% concentrate, it's literally 10x cheaper to mix your own. Look for "Perm 10" types of names at farm stores. I live so remote I had to ask local HW store to bring it in for me, he loves it now too. You can also make your own spray mix for clothing. For trails, keeping them cut short is critical. Just grind them down and trim them wide. Then just spray on the trails, not all over, don't spray on windy days. Here, I just focus on kill zone around the cabin and spray clothing, tents and gear I wear. I don't spray trails, just keep them cut and boots and pants sprayed.

I think Teddy did the best solution in general, using predators, they work 24/7 all season

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Something to keep in mind with pesticides is that beneificial insects will die as well. As a matter of fact, permethrin will kill darn near any bug, so you will lose a TON of beneficials to get rid of a single pest...

I suggest the natural predators route suggested above. I'm not saying this because I'm anti-chemical or anything, as a matter of fact, permethrin is my FAVORITE! I spray it a LOT; I buy it in 36% concentrate and mix my own up in 2-gallon sprayers...

Top Bottom