Any reports of hp rifle accidents this deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    i actually had the chance to talk to a conservation officer out of district 10 the other night and i asked him the same question, he said there hadnt been any increases in reports of either property damage or injuries from use of hp rifles

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    i actually had the chance to talk to a conservation officer out of district 10 the other night and i asked him the same question, he said there hadnt been any increases in reports of either property damage or injuries from use of hp rifles

A testament to the good men, women, and kids who hunt in Indiana. I hope we continue to show good sportsmanship, ethics, and judgment while afield.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    But all the ole timers on ingo told me there would mass hysteria?

In fairness, I never saw it, but was told some genius with the indiana deer hunters association wrote a letter to the editor, saying if the HP bill passed, there would be deer killed "from a mile away." Remember, these are the same one`s who foisted the One Buck Rule upon Hoosier hunters in their never ending quest for trophy racks.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    OK, so we should be cleared for HP rifles on public grounds next year, correct?

Not only would I not see a reason for NOT making that allowance, but other Center Fire rifle cartridges ought to be allowed. Why allow the 30.06, but not the .270? I heard it said that the DNR did NOT want the Center fire Rifles to be approved, which is ridiculous. But because politicians wrote the measure, and they don`t generally understand ballistics, they only wrote approval for 30 caliber rounds. Why wouldn`t any Center Fire rifle capable of cleanly killing white-tail deer be legal? They`ve been legal in handguns for years.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    IMO - Any changes would have to go through the legislature. I'm pretty sure the DNR wants no part of any changes after the legislature did a number on them with this bill/law....

it IS a five year trial...

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    In fairness, I never saw it, but was told some genius with the indiana deer hunters association wrote a letter to the editor, saying if the HP bill passed, there would be deer killed "from a mile away." Remember, these are the same one`s who foisted the One Buck Rule upon Hoosier hunters in their never ending quest for trophy racks.

I've heard this also. Glad everyone was safe n no accidents happened

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It wouldn't surprise me if accidents actually decrease overall when this five-year trial period ends, namely because high powered rifle bullets tend to disintegrate rather than ricochet the way that slower bullets tend to do.
    My Ruger .30-06 performed exactly as hoped, just as DeadeyeChristasdad did with his .30-30.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I would love to get the .270 included. How did someone go about getting their state rep to draft the bill. Maybe we could get them to add an amendment to in include .270 and well as the other missed calibers.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I would love to get the .270 included. How did someone go about getting their state rep to draft the bill. Maybe we could get them to add an amendment to in include .270 and well as the other missed calibers.

Why not just copy Wisconsin's rules on rifles?

Rifles• Rifles must have an overall minimum length of 26 inches with a 16 inch minimum barrellength unless the user has a federal license to possess a “short-barreled” rifle.It is illegal to:• hunt deer with any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any rimfire rifle, or air gun.

Problem solved.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Why not just copy Wisconsin's rules on rifles?

Rifles• Rifles must have an overall minimum length of 26 inches with a 16 inch minimum barrellength unless the user has a federal license to possess a “short-barreled” rifle.It is illegal to:• hunt deer with any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any rimfire rifle, or air gun.

Problem solved.

:yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Geesh, here we go again.

It was shut down first try.
    2nd try, given the appearance of limits (cartridges listed at 5, but not by proper name)...........it passes (remember there were other restrictions that were dropped).
    But all the .270 owners are so freakin' smart they think they were excluded out of ballistic error.

Kinda tired of the same ol nonsense.

We are in a test period, duh.

Politics..................state passed a poorly worded law, DNR made a clarification that opened it up more.............did they do that to make it easier for enforcement and Fudd comprehension?

Or did they open it up to make it easier to fail?

Be happy for the generous allowance in cartridges in this test period, and that in spite of our ranks stupidity, things should go smoothly and be opened up in a couple of yrs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom