Netflix recommendation: MeatEater (no space)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Think he had another show before that, saw parts of two?
    A little over the top with the cosmic meat worship nonsense.
    Heard he undercooked black bear and got sick.
    Friggin moron.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Friggin moron.
    Yes, he did mention getting trichinosis from undercooked black-bear and he emphasizes to fully cook it. Call him a moron all you want, we all learn some lessons the hard way. Yes, a little dramatic sometimes, but it's an interesting show; one that you don't see on mainstream (yes, I just called Netflix mainstream) TV much anymore. I found it not only interesting, but captivating. The moose-hunt in Alaska was the eye opener. One the first day they saw the young bull 4 miles from camp and debated stalking and taking him, but restrained because of the work it would take to move the meat back to camp. They eventually decided to take him when he got close to camp, then missed him. And on day 9 they finally saw a big, mature bull not terribly far from camp and harvested him. The amount of work that went into getting a single moose is hard to comprehend for anybody that hasn't actually been there. Lets face reality, VERY few hunters from Indiana have had that chance.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Steve is up front - he's a meat hunter first and trophy last. All the belly-ache and butt-hurt about hunting shows being all about the trophy, and guided hunts that only rich people can afford, I think his show is a breath of fresh air. Yes he hunts with a rifle mostly and I'm primarily a bow hunter, but I respect his ethic, his hunting almost exclusively on public ground and doing his own homework. I also enjoy learning new recipes especially those I can use in the field. Steve doesn't cover up his mistakes, but airs them so that everyone can learn from them. One thing that chaps me is a bad shot on a television show and they gloss it over like it's a slam dunk. A bad shot is a bad shot, just call it that - it happens - and show the due diligence in follow up and recovery. Steve has done that and I respect him and his show.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Friggin moron.

I hung out with Steve quite a few times, and he is as far from a moron as humanly possible. He might have made a mistake, but he is an extremely intelligent man.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    We have been watching Meat Eater since it appeared on Sportsman Channel. I currently record the new episodes as I rarely get to catch them live. Having the previous seasons on Netflix is great.

His books are very well done as well.

Call him a moron all you want, we all learn some lessons the hard way.

The Moose hunt where he thought it was dead.....until it stood up and charged as he approached is a hell of a learning moment as well...Listening to him after that should be required for new hunters.

Found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwF02n-015s

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, he did mention getting trichinosis from undercooked black-bear and he emphasizes to fully cook it. Call him a moron all you want, we all learn some lessons the hard way. Yes, a little dramatic sometimes, but it's an interesting show; one that you don't see on mainstream (yes, I just called Netflix mainstream) TV much anymore. I found it not only interesting, but captivating. The moose-hunt in Alaska was the eye opener. One the first day they saw the young bull 4 miles from camp and debated stalking and taking him, but restrained because of the work it would take to move the meat back to camp. They eventually decided to take him when he got close to camp, then missed him. And on day 9 they finally saw a big, mature bull not terribly far from camp and harvested him. The amount of work that went into getting a single moose is hard to comprehend for anybody that hasn't actually been there. Lets face reality, VERY few hunters from Indiana have had that chance.

Steve is up front - he's a meat hunter first and trophy last. All the belly-ache and butt-hurt about hunting shows being all about the trophy, and guided hunts that only rich people can afford, I think his show is a breath of fresh air. Yes he hunts with a rifle mostly and I'm primarily a bow hunter, but I respect his ethic, his hunting almost exclusively on public ground and doing his own homework. I also enjoy learning new recipes especially those I can use in the field. Steve doesn't cover up his mistakes, but airs them so that everyone can learn from them. One thing that chaps me is a bad shot on a television show and they gloss it over like it's a slam dunk. A bad shot is a bad shot, just call it that - it happens - and show the due diligence in follow up and recovery. Steve has done that and I respect him and his show.

We have been watching Meat Eater since it appeared on Sportsman Channel. I currently record the new episodes as I rarely get to catch them live. Having the previous seasons on Netflix is great.

His books are very well done as well.

The Moose hunt where he thought it was dead.....until it stood up and charged as he approached is a hell of a learning moment as well...Listening to him after that should be required for new hunters.

These kinds of things are the endorsements that make me want to check it out. The 'mainstream' shows all seem so... sterile. I do watch some when I'm channel-flipping, but would much prefer to watch something "real" - particularly with my son.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Another great episode is the when they are hunting black bears in Alaska (I think) when they happen upon a Grizzly with cubs and they try to avoid her but she charges anyway.

EDIT: Found the video. They were in BC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbQgjlpjgo

The show is so much better than the tree stand in {insert state here} waiting for that monster buck to walk by...oh, there he is ....'hunting' shows.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Another great episode is the when they are hunting black bears in Alaska (I think) when they happen upon a Grizzly with cubs and they try to avoid her but she charges anyway.

EDIT: Found the video. They were in BC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbQgjlpjgo

The show is so much better than the tree stand in {insert state here} waiting for that monster buck to walk by...oh, there he is ....'hunting' shows.

To add a few of my own pet peeves, "...we hadn't been there no time..."...."...buck of a lifetime!..."..."...smoked 'im!!..."

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I love this show. Unfortunately, only seasons 5 and 6 are on Netflix. I especially like that he doesn't get the prize every episode. Like was said above, this show doesn't seem to be about the wall hanger. I was watching it last night when he was hunting antelope in Wyoming. He spent some time away from the antelope hunt to knock out a rabbit for dinner, missed a hurried shot early in the show, and made an important point about being on BLM land and that it was important to him that anyone could come out to where he was and hunt. I'm very impressed with his views on conservation, hunting ethics, and not being a trophy hunter, but rather just a hunter who loves to eat fresh game.

I also like that every few episodes he does a cooking show.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Actually I know several.
    Had some a guy's dad popped with a .375 H&H Ruger #1.
    Pretty tasty.
    Shot well off the logging road, back in a swamp.
    Said he'd never shoot one that far back again LOL.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't watch hunting shows, don't have the Sportsman's channel.
    Have seen it at buddy's place...........no thanks.

Only DVDs I watch............Whitetail Adrenaline. No sponsor, public land.......the good and bad shown.

First one, bought on a lark, was "Out of Bullets". Then I got "The Reckoning". My buddy just bought the newest and another one.
    Weather gets bad, will go over and pizza/beer fest them.
    [video=youtube;vPzzIwxO0E4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzzIwxO0E4[/video]

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I do check Youtube a lot.
    Must admit the Leatherwood Outdoors guys have a charm.
    This the first video I saw of theirs, pretty cool

[video=youtube;T7qO06VqTyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qO06VqTyI[/video]

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Actually I know several.
    Had some a guy's dad popped with a .375 H&H Ruger #1.
    Pretty tasty.
    Shot well off the logging road, back in a swamp.
    Said he'd never shoot one that far back again LOL.
    You've missed my point entirely. I also know people that have hunted species in other places, that doesn't counter the point I was making. Far more hunters never hunt outside of their home-state than those that do, the numbers aren't even close. This show exposes those hunters to hunting in other places, hunting other species, in a way that isn't "high-dollar production, big trophy hunting".

As a matter of fact, this show de-emphasizes the trophy, and emphasizes the camaraderie, experience, cleaning/cooking/eating of the animal etc. If you don't care for it then move along. I'm baffled why a guy that doesn't care for a show just can't seem to leave the thread and keeps coming in here to drop little tidbits of his disdain. I really don't care what you think. I'm simply giving a recommendation for those that want something good to watch on Netflix. Are the shows you're speaking of on Netflix? I don't have cable, I don't care to buy hunting DVD's, I have Netflix as many people do. If you have hunting DVD recommendations maybe you can start your own thread about recommendations for hunting DVD's?

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    This show is always in my recommendations, based on the reviews here I am going to have to start watching this now...which is just another reason to binge watch another show!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just watched the first 2 episodes of Season 5 on Netflix last night. I really like it. He's a very articulate guy and some of the things he said really connect with the process of hunting, and the history of the location.

There've absolutely been times sitting in a blind on the last day of a hunt, haven't seen anything to kill (but seen plenty of signs), and I wonder if it is even worth doing it anymore. And then something happens, or you think "one more time," and you keep coming back.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Top Bottom