Has anyone done much pond fishing in the Charles Deam Wilderness?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I might be heading out that way again in the near future and thinking about trying my hand at some pond fishing while I was down there. Has anyone here done any fishing there or have any advice?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Most of the ponds there are rather small and I haven't noticed any signs of fish in them. The pond near Terril cemetery is the largest that I'm aware of and there are plenty of frogs. That's the one I would try if I were to fish the ponds there. The south side of that pond is near one of the camp sites and would have easy access to fish from.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have very great memories of that section of the HNF. Back when you could camp anywhere in there, my good buddy Joe, His brother Brian, another buddy of his John, and I went and camped probably only 25 yards off the Fire Tower. The next morning Joe and Brian fished the Pond mentioned above, near the cemetery, while John and I hunted for grey squirrels. We met back at camp, and fried fresh grey squirrel and small bluegill fillets. What a great little trip that was. I killed my very first white-tail deer back behind the cemetery, a little 4-point buck.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Last time I was at the pond by Terrell Cemetary the pond was covered in algae. We weren't able to cast in due to that. But, like others have said, there were a ton of frogs.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That large pond near the cemetery is one of my favorite spots. First time I made the mistake of taking a fly rod and there was way too many low hanging branche's to really cast.

Next time I'm taking a package spinning rod.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lake Monroe is the only place I've had any luck in Deam. I canoe/fish/camp the no-wake part of the lake. Lots of fun back there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lake Monroe is the only place I've had any luck in Deam. I canoe/fish/camp the no-wake part of the lake. Lots of fun back there.

Ooh, this is interesting. Got more details on parking, camping, fishing locations? Any luck with walleye in the location?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I'm not familiar enough with the lake to know where the no wake section is. The last time I went the shoreline we ended up on wasn't what I'd consider to be ideal for fishing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2016
    danville
    Gieger Ridge pond on the south side is a hit and miss on the algae. When there is no algae it can be fished, and have caught some bluegill out of there. It is about a 3.5 mile hike from the horesman campground. I spent three days on that pond a couple of years ago, and only seen two other people the whole time. They were just passing through on a hike.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lots of camping on the shore:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_017286.pdf

Last I checked, you can technically camp anywhere in HNF... But I normally stick to the camping spots on that map.

Anything East of 446 is "idling/no wake." I don't have any issues out there and the traffic is pretty low. I mostly fish for bass, catfish, and panfish there. Honestly, if I'm really looking just for fishing, I stick to the rivers around IN. Smallie fishing in the rivers is where it's at.

Ooh, this is interesting. Got more details on parking, camping, fishing locations? Any luck with walleye in the location?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lots of camping on the shore:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_017286.pdf

Last I checked, you can technically camp anywhere in HNF... But I normally stick to the camping spots on that map.

Anything East of 446 is "idling/no wake." I don't have any issues out there and the traffic is pretty low. I mostly fish for bass, catfish, and panfish there. Honestly, if I'm really looking just for fishing, I stick to the rivers around IN. Smallie fishing in the rivers is where it's at.

Thanks for the info!

I'm a meat fisherman. Bass are great fun and I love smallies, after the freezer is full. I'd love to add a few pounds of Walleye every year.

I've put in at Elkinsville and Crooked Creek. I wonder if the access points and parking are more "friendly" in Charles Deem? Not real uncommon to run into some surly looking sorts around those areas.

We come paddling silently in the dark one evening on Friendship Rd to find a fellow shining a light in my truck windows. :rolleyes:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Yeah some of those tiny little parking areas on the north side of the lake are a bit more sketchy after dark.

Just park and put in at the main boat launch at Cutright. There is a ton of boat traffic early and late and it is well lit. And it is a very nice and easy canoe ride over to the lake front campsites in Deam. That entire area of the lake is idle speed only (everything east of the 446 causeway) which is also conducive to canoeing.

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    That side of the lake is definitely quiet. We put the kayaks in on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend last year at the Crooked Creek ramp and paddled out and around the corner so that we could see the Cutright ramp and then back. That is a 10 mile round trip. We pull up anywhere we like and eat lunch and get out to swim and stretch. We saw a grand total of 5 other boats the entire day. Crooked Creek is OK to park at for a day trip, but if I were leaving a car overnight though, I'd park at Cutright and do it in reverse. We kayak that end of Monroe about 5 times a year when we don't want to drive down all of the way down to Patoka and it's always the same,....no boat traffic.

If you put in at Pine Grove and then head back towards Crooked Creek, it's about the same boat traffic wise. You will see boats until you round the corner that everyone camps on and head back towards Crooked Creek, then it's empty.

Dirty Steve

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    I have fished a handful of the small ponds throughout Deam and that side of HNF, most of the ponds have no life except for frogs and turtles. You're best bet would to hike or drive over to the Combs creek area and fish the creeks.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Oooooh, I'm ready. Just finished the modifications to the solo canoe I wanted to get done over the winter. Put on a 30 degree pole holder so that I can trail a jig while floating or hold a bobber rig with the pole tip up, rod easily accessible, but still out of the way for paddling. Also got rid of the janky cup holders and replaced with some more heavy duty and ergonomic ones. Can't wait to get on the water.

Top Bottom