• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    A few weeks back while there was some snow on the ground I saw these in the garden. My immediate thought was Yote. Upon closer inspection, there appears to be too many toe pads on both front and rear paws. Does not fit much of anything that I can find on the web. Somewhat disconcerting as these tracks are only 25 feet from the front door where the four small dogs and the cat are let out each evening before bed. Any thoughts?

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y496/gunworks321/tracks_zpsrl9qtut7.jpg

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't think there are "too many" pads, I think, however, that the canine that made those prints has some decent troughs/ridges in the pads that are creating the "extra pad" look in the track.

The one on the right seems nicely oval = meaning most likely coyote. But the one on the left is somewhat "round" = more likely domestic dog.

If you happen to have additional photos of more of the tracks, that'd be great1

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    100% coyote for sure, like TF said back feet landing on front foot prints.

Don't think so as I followed the prints all across the garden area and each set of tracks front and back was separate. There was no double prints. You could see where he (she) stood and all four were separately visible and distinct.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I don't think there are "too many" pads, I think, however, that the canine that made those prints has some decent troughs/ridges in the pads that are creating the "extra pad" look in the track.

The one on the right seems nicely oval = meaning most likely coyote. But the one on the left is somewhat "round" = more likely domestic dog.

If you happen to have additional photos of more of the tracks, that'd be great1

Sorry TF, I took additional pics, but the tracks had some melt and these were the only ones which were in the shade and more clearly visible. Perhaps with the snow on Wednesday, we will get a revisit. Crappy camera didn't help either.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    If no toenail marks were present it most probably is a fox or coyote as opposed to a domestic dog. I would have to see the size to dertermine which one. Also if you see prints like these going off in a straight lineI ie one infront of the other) it most definitely is a coyote or fox.

Steve

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    If no toenail marks were present it most probably is a fox or coyote as opposed to a domestic dog. I would have to see the size to dertermine which one. Also if you see prints like these going off in a straight lineI ie one infront of the other) it most definitely is a coyote or fox.

Steve

I agree to a point. Should have put a ruler down as these are big tracks. Front to back, at least three inches. We don't live where stray dogs are in evidence, so I eliminated that. The only alternative is wolf and that is not very likely. As Sherlock Says "When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, remains the truth." I say Yote.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I don't know what part of Noblesville you are in but out here by the mall I see them quite regularly.
    Right on Allisonville North of the overpass. Open area flood plain is just south of me. Lots of small game for food and they come up Stoney Creek from the river. Many nights they start yipping around 9-10pm.

Top Bottom