• KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I want to kill some hogs!

I've been watching videos for years of people shooting hogs. I want to play too. The past week, I've been researching outfitters and guides, for a planned hunt this year. It has been very disheartening.

Feral hogs are vermin, and as such, need to be eliminated. The problem I've found, is that they are being managed for the hunt. I want to go on a shooting trip, not so much a hunting trip. Most outfitters and "ranches" won't allow 5.56. .243 or .270 minimum, and most only allow 2-3 hogs. I thought there was a feral hog problem?

The hog "problem" has become very commercial. I just want to use a bunch of evil black rifles to kill invasive zombie pigs, since real zombies, probably won't be here until after I'm dead. It's not looking good.

Has anybody been hog hunting in Texas? Give me some leads. I'm looking for a, "run what you brung, kill them all" kind of trip. The guides are selling trophy hunts. Extra fees if you kill a big one, fines if you kill a "wet" sow, per nipple. WTF?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Somewhere on U Tube I saw people hunting hogs with a minigun, you need to find that place.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Somewhere on U Tube I saw people hunting hogs with a minigun, you need to find that place.
    There are a whole lot of killing videos, but the guides only offer bolt gun kind of hunts. They will trap wild hogs for you to shoot in a high fence area for a price, as many as you want. It really seems to be a racquet. All the big ranches seem to have signed on with a "outfitter" and the only way in, is through the outfitter.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    When I had the opportunity to hunt hogs in Texas, we ran them down with hogs and used knives to kill them. It was quite the adventure. The farmer who owned the property just wanted them wiped out. He even requested we kill any piglets, no matter how cute. He was just a farmer, however, a friend of a friend of a friend.

The problem is that the hogs really have become a commercial thing like you said, and the only guys posting hunting opportunities online are those trying to make a buck off the situation. If you know any Texans, they probly know plenty of farmers that would happily let you come kill hogs. Heck, you could probly look up property owners and call them up out of the blue and get permission.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have hunted them in TN,FL and checked into it while in Hawaii.

Like any type of hunting if you don't know anyone with land get your wallet out. It is a huge business.

What happens is people trap problem hogs on land owners property then bring them back to hunting ground. You pay per hog.

It is totally on their terms. They weren't real keen on me and my AR. Let me use it if I used a 5 round mag. .223 did the trick with my matchking hand loads. Having since put together a 300blk for my next hunt. Probably just sell it off and be done. Sucks to be so limited and have to pay big to play.

It's a great way for land owners to make money. For some the hogs have been a blessing.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Something to look into is public ground in West Texas or New Mexico. I went a few years ago in the White Mountain wilderness in New Mexico. We saw lots of signs of hogs, but no actual hogs but did run into several guys that had been on them in the general area in the days and weeks before.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Something to look into is public ground in West Texas or New Mexico. I went a few years ago in the White Mountain wilderness in New Mexico. We saw lots of signs of hogs, but no actual hogs but did run into several guys that had been on them in the general area in the days and weeks before.
    Most public land is bow hunting only, and dawn to dusk hunting. I was planning on using thermal on a rifle. I think I have watched to many YouTube videos.

Like Leadeye always says, follow the money......
    ....Another dream crushed.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A friend recommended Langley Ranch near Centerville, TX. It looks cheap to me and I think you can kill all you want to pay for.

I just searched Langley ranch, and my browser indicated I had already been there.
    This place charges you $150 for the first hog you shoot. Rid them of 10 hogs, you owe them $150 for the first one, then $1 per pound thereafter, plus your room fee. And, no 5.56. This is the kind of place that is the problem, not the solution. Shoot a couple big hogs at a place like this, and it might have been cheaper to go on a helicopter hunt.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yelp! Think I paid $195 per when I blasted them in FL. This price was for small meat hogs only trophy larger hogs was anothe price point. Ended up taking four that time. Wanted six but it got hot out and dogs were tired. I was ready for lunch.

It ain't cheap and don't forget to tip the guide?

Last edited:

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    If it doesn't have to be Texas: Free Alabama Hog Hunting in the Alabama Black Belt | Alabama Deer Hunting
    You can use your evil black rifle, (I think 223 is ok, I used 308. You will have to ask, sorry.) and when I went they did have night hunts. It's all you can take in three days and two nights, for a flat fee. Oh yeah, the only hidden fee is they add a hundred dollar tip for you guide upon arrival. (That's not really hidden, it was in the emails. I think it's mentioned on the website as well.) Their FB is Great Southern Outdoors Wildlife Plantation. Good luck.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

You won't find large numbers of hogs in west Texas nor will you find a lot of public land with open access. East Texas is where you will find both plenty of hogs and public hunting opportunities.

Most public land is bow hunting only, and dawn to dusk hunting. I was planning on using thermal on a rifle. I think I have watched to many YouTube videos.

Like Leadeye always says, follow the money......
    ....Another dream crushed.

The bow hunting only part is not correct but the night hunting is pretty much a complete no go on public land. There are several tracts of public land open to firearms hunting in east Texas you just have to do the research. If you want an unlimited night/thermal hunt then you should probably look to one of the outfits that cater specifically to that.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You won't find large numbers of hogs in west Texas nor will you find a lot of public land with open access. East Texas is where you will find both plenty of hogs and public hunting opportunities.

The bow hunting only part is not correct but the night hunting is pretty much a complete no go on public land. There are several tracts of public land open to firearms hunting in east Texas you just have to do the research. If you want an unlimited night/thermal hunt then you should probably look to one of the outfits that cater specifically to that.

TPWD: Hunting & Wildlife FAQ Public Hunting

question 5 states it's bow hunting only. This is just what I found, and was going by, not sure how accurate. :dunno:

I have have come up with a couple private ranches that aren't so regimented. There are places if you dig deep enough.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    TPWD: Hunting & Wildlife FAQ Public Hunting

question 5 states it's bow hunting only. This is just what I found, and was going by, not sure how accurate. :dunno:

I have have come up with a couple private ranches that aren't so regimented. There are places if you dig deep enough.

I definitely see where you are getting that but that FAQ is referring to only those properties that used to allow firearms but are now restricted to archery, not all public properties. You have to search the map booklet and look at the specific rules for each property it can be a pain and they rules changes frequently but good hunts can be found. I would suggest putting in for the drawn hunts for a higher quality hunt though as the pressure is more limited.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    we've hunted Oklahoma 5 times at 2 different locations . 1 ranch was 20,000 acres . Hogs move fast and can travel miles in a night. Unless you have feeders out ,no telling when they will return . Hogs are smart , if they feel hunter pressure , they won't come back .Some high fence areas are fun. They have to cover a lot of ground to be a challenge though .

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Look up JJ Kent at Kent Outdoors. No high fence hunting, no huge hunting fees. He has hunting leases with farmers along the Red River in OK & Tx. Highly recommend JJ. Great guy!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom