• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I been thinking real hard about it. Got all my reels lubed up and stuff pretty much organized. Pulled boat in and stuck new registration on and plugged in trolling motor battery. I usually wait a little longer but I cant stand it anymore.

What do you guys like to use. I have never been when it is this cold out. In summer I use chatter baits or big bladed spinners, crank baits, even some soft plastics. I was thinking of drifting some live bait and slow my presentation down. Maybe a minnow under a slip bobber.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    My friend had a pike to the boat last weekend and I got bit off by one. This weekend should be good.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Temporary Pause

If it was not going to be so cold the next couple of days they would be venturing up and scoping out the spawn areas. This upcoming cold weather will indeed push those efforts off until the weekend. I may give it a shot Friday or Saturday afternoon. They will bite...the question is what dept...my money is on 10-12 yet about half way down. Run a jig 16" below a minnow as thin of a hook as possible...tiny slit bobber. If that doesn't work slow troll them with plastic and jig. What technique will you use?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am not a sit and wait type of fisherman so will probably set up a slip bobber rig then be casting while that one is soaking. Suspending jerk bait or swim bait of some kind.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Hit it this afternoon for a couple hours. Slow rolled spinner bait for awhile. Also tried a med depth crank bait and a lipless crank just off bottom. All with no luck.

Good news is boat fired up on first pull and ran like a top. I got it out of my system before the weekend Bozos are out running amuck. Pretty happy overall even though no fish.

May hit it Monday late afternoon at least joy ride awhile and peep some spots.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    With the air temps what they are and have been, the crappie ought to start turning on in the shallows. Wow, this is crazy!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I thought I would at least have some follow ups and possibly see some baitfish in the shallows. No action what so ever.

May have to resort to chilling out at my Sportsman Club pond. Should be some rainbows left from the fall stocking. Maybe do a little shooting while I am out there.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Weather was so nice I just had to go out. Ran up to Summit and washed a jig or two. No bites, but it was good to get out for a while.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Caught some crappie yesterday while fishing for bass. The lake I fished is deep and clear. Every fish I caught came out of 20 ft or more. The crappie were suspended in 35 ft holding over 60 ft. Didn't look like the bank fisherman had much luck.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    No luck on the river yesterday. Gave it several hours drifting live bait under a slip bobber. Water is really cold and clear.

Did see a few surface one in awhile to eat bugs. No signs of any bait fish. Frogs were on shoreline.

Was planning on going back out but well pump died and we have no water. That's life always getting in the way!

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    We were able to get out a couple weeks ago during the warm spell. Found the fish suspended in 15-20' of water at about 8-10' on jigs down the middle of our pond. Not crazy fast bite but, steady. Ended with a good mess of fish. Crappie and bass.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I thought I would at least have some follow ups and possibly see some baitfish in the shallows. No action what so ever.

May have to resort to chilling out at my Sportsman Club pond. Should be some rainbows left from the fall stocking. Maybe do a little shooting while I am out there.

Is this The Sportsmans Club in Crawfordsville?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    How about the crappie fishing right now? Anyone getting out after them? Any luck? It should soon be a good time for we bank fisherman, as they ought to be in the shallows shortly.

Top Bottom