• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hey all headed to Florida in March and looking for pole recommendations...Staying beach front right next to the Navarre Pier. I dont want to rent them from the bait shop and have been wanting to get a couple of rigs to fish with while I am there... planning on fishing everyday and to me its worth investing in a rig since we are going more often... or if you have one for sale?? Let me know. Thank you, Tim

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What is your budget and what do you want to catch? Do you plan on using live/dead bait, lures or some combo of both? I usually go in September and I'm not exactly familiar with what will potentially be biting in March so my recommendations are based on what I would use for what I've encounter in September. IMO, you are going to either need two different rigs for best performance or make due with one that is compromise between the two ideal setups because surf casting really demands a long rod(9' +) and those long rods are not much fun on a pier especially when it's crowded. An 8' rod is plenty for pier fishing with 7' being a good choice also. Either way you will want a reel that is easy to cast and holds 250+ yards of 15-20 # test. I would suggest something similar to either the Penn 6500 or 8000 combo from Bass Pro for surf fishing and something more like the 6000 with a 7' rod for pier fishing or a 9' for a compromise combo. Another option would be to buy two rods and one reel and be covered with either situation. Both Bass Pro and Cabelas have good quality store branded rods, reels and combos that will save you a bit of money too. I would also suggest going to the Pensacola Fishing Forum for specific information for that time of year and here for some good lures at a good price.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thanks for the great information. I will check them out. Right now all have is really old zebco salt water rig from the 70's I inherited. I don't want to spend a bunch because it will be used every year or two but I don't want to buy junk. Although what I have is better than the stuff you rent at the piers. I don't plan on doing any surf fishing. Thanks again for your information

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You can use fresh water gear BUT you need to wash them down good before you put them in storage.
    I've been using Ambassadeur 5500 and 6500 reels on 7' flipping sticks for decades and they show no damage from the salt water but I do wash them down with dishwashing liquid and rinse them well. IF you don't clean them good you'll get salt pitting on any aluminum or lt weight alloys.
    I'll loan you a couple for your trip if you come to the S.Side of Indy to pick them up.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I was curious what species you could encounter in March so I checked out the fishing forecast from Half Hitch Tackle and it looks like a good time for a variety of species:
    "Can you say Cobia! March is the unofficial start to the new fishing year! March brings a variety of new species to the mix as the weather is warming, but the one that really gets fisherman fired up is cobia!
    You will also see the first king mackerel, Spanish mackerel and jack crevalle of the year. Many of the early kings will be very good sized, over 40lbs. Over the last few years, the kings have shown up in great quantities. The piers have had 40 or 50 a day caught when the weather is right late in the month.
    Spanish will also invade the inshore areas, pompano numbers go up, and spring breakers fill the beaches."

I would suggest stocking up on some Mack Attack Anchovy Jigs from the website I linked previously, 3/4 and 1 ounce Castmaster spoons, and a few sabiki rigs for catching bait. My usual procedure is to go to the pier the first day and use a sabiki rig to catch hardtails(bluerunners) for bait, then once I have a good amount of bait I tie on a king rig and send a lively hardtail back out in hopes of hooking up with a king mackerel. When you buy your sabiki rigs I would suggest buying those tied with fluorocarbon line as heavy as you can find because you will often catch smacks(Spanish mackerel) on them as well. Smacks are a lot of fun too catch and tasty too, probably my favorite species to pursue from a pier, the MAA jigs and CM spoons are good for targeting them though you will want to be sure to have either a light wire or heavy(min. 60 #s) flouro leader. You'll get more bites with the flouro but lose more fish and lures too.

When you fish the beach you can cut up some hardtails and cast them out for a chance to catch redfish, bluefish, or sharks. I would also suggest picking up some shrimp flavored fishbites and/or fresh dead shrimp for smaller fish like whiting which are very tasty and good bait. Sand fleas are the ticket for pompano. While on the beach and pier also be on the lookout for schools of ladyfish which look and fight like baby tarpon and make outstanding bait either live or dead.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    You can use fresh water gear BUT you need to wash them down good before you put them in storage.
    I've been using Ambassadeur 5500 and 6500 reels on 7' flipping sticks for decades and they show no damage from the salt water but I do wash them down with dishwashing liquid and rinse them well. IF you don't clean them good you'll get salt pitting on any aluminum or lt weight alloys.
    I'll loan you a couple for your trip if you come to the S.Side of Indy to pick them up.

Wow thanks. INGO people never cease to amaze me. Thank you for the kind offer. I don't like to borrow stuff and I appreciate your offer. I am going to buy a couple of rigs for the trip. I just found out that my good friends son is going. He just got back from Kuwait and he's riding down with me. We'll try to stop somewhere along the way and buy a couple of rigs. I will continue to look around here and see what I find before the trip. Thanks again. Blessings. Tim

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Last time I went was at Panama City beach and was catching what looked like a catfish and a small shark. My sons took me on a small charter and we all caught many Spanish mackerels. Not sure if I will do a charter this time. I usually go to the pier in late evening when everyone heads to bed. My friends son is always ready to fish so I'm ready to get more tips so feel free to give them. Going to Navarre and the pier is 1500 feet long so there should be something floating by. Leave in 11 days

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yes, the hardhead catfish and small sharks can be pests at times. Despite what most Floridians will tell you, the hardhead catfish are edible and are comparable to channel cats to me in taste if you are looking to keep something. You'll probably see a lot of people crowding around the end of the pier sight fishing for cobia when you go. You should have opportunities at Spanish and king mackerel as well if the weather cooperates. Hopefully the porpoises are not patrolling the pier in March like they often are in September. It gets old quick to have a group of them stealing bait and any fish you might catch as well.

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    The best rod for surf fishing may not be the best rod to fish from a pier with. With that said, get yourself a good 3 pc travel rod. I am partial to gloomis rods

Top Bottom