Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

From the Indiana hunting guide:

Feral Hog
    Reporting
    Populations of feral (or wild, free-ranging)
    swine have been a problem in pockets around
    the state in the past. In addition to being a
    disease/predatory threat to Indiana livestock
    and poultry production, they are known to
    cause damage to crops and native plants and are
    detrimental to native wildlife and their habitats.
    As part of a risk assessment program, the
    Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH)
    is asking hunters who spot or take a feral hog
    to report the animal to the agency. Reports will
    help BOAH and DNR determine if additional
    census, disease monitoring and/or control steps
    are necessary.
    Anyone who sees or takes a feral hog
    should call BOAH at (877) 747-3038 or
    email: animalhealth@boah.IN.gov to report
    the approximate location, number, sex and
    estimated size of the animal(s).

Has anyone seen these? I take it they can be hunted any time. Where did they come from? Are they farm escapees or what?

I've never hog hunted and frankly, I don't see feral hogs as a bad thing.

How would one go about hog hunting? Would a .45acp work, or should I use a rifle or shotgun, if I should be able to even find these critters?

Josh <><

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would love to see feral hogs in my area, however my farmer neighbors hold a completely different view on the topic. They are known to be VERY destructive to crops and can literally destroy a field if their population is only modest in size. I know people in other states who would love to get rid of their feral hogs.

Again, I'm looking at this from the 'sport' standpoint, but there is no good reason to allow them to remain in any area where farming occurs. They escape from farms, breed and become wild. Hogs are smart animals, adapt easily to living in the wild.

Not sure that I'd use a 45acp, 357 on up should be good. They have a reputation for being pretty tough, but the reputation is often overblown. A good buddy of mine is a hog hunter and uses handguns to take them. The problem is that many people take body shots and hogs can easily weigh hundreds of pounds so handguns can be ineffective if shot placement is not perfect. My buddy waits for them to drop their heads and shoot them from above, breaking the spine where it meets the skull. He hunts with a 44 magnum. A slight miss results in a bullet the runs into the thorasic (sp?) cavity (lungs/heart area).

If they do come north in any quantities I'd think the 458 Socom would become very popular in Indiana. It is legal for deer hunting and would do a great job on wild hogs!!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    If I can find populations, I believe I will use the .45 as a backup with an SKS as a primary.

My reasoning is that a friend down in TX uses hot 9mm on up for these. I doubt they grow as large down there, but you never know...

Do you have any idea about how quickly these wild ones can turn? I'm talking if they charge - I take it they have the thick gristle shield around their heads and shoulders which makes turning at speed difficult, so you can just side step.

Josh <><

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    For all my farming experience hogs were never my cup of tea...just something about them. Saw a show about them a couple of years ago and as soon as the first or second litter delivered in the wild the babies are back to what they were before man started keeping them. They said that one that escapes starts taking on the characteristics within a year.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    When I was at Ft. Benning, I heard about guys hunting them with large knives. I don't know if this is true, and it sounds a little crazy to me. I have been told that wild boar is delicious though.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I ate some back 30 or more years ago. I don't remember it being very tasty, nor the bear meat. Our family were all hunters and for Christmas every year we would have a wild game feast. Great memories.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    When I was at Ft. Benning, I heard about guys hunting them with large knives. I don't know if this is true, and it sounds a little crazy to me. I have been told that wild boar is delicious though.

We had Russian Boars feral all over the Smokies in East Tennessee. Nasty, filthy, dangerous! They will even eat deer fawns. 30-30 did just fine in the short range shooting of the scrubby hills and mtns around Knoxville. Tn DNR wanted them shot on sight. As many and as often as possible. Good to eat when less than 200 lbs.

I've got a friend in Texas. They hunt with dogs and finish the hog with a large knife.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We had Russian Boars feral all over the Smokies in East Tennessee. Nasty, filthy, dangerous! They will even eat deer fawns. 30-30 did just fine in the short range shooting of the scrubby hills and mtns around Knoxville. Tn DNR wanted them shot on sight. As many and as often as possible. Good to eat when less than 200 lbs.

I've got a friend in Texas. They hunt with dogs and finish the hog with a large knife.

KnifeHunt2-21-07small.jpg

I've got to admit that is a little disturbing to me. I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but it seems hunting with dogs and finishing them off with a knife isn't exactly humane.

Go ahead, let me have it...

hoosierdaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    They have been found in Lawrence, Jackson, Orange and Crawford Counties. Rumor has it, they were "imported" from the South by people who want to hunt them locally. I'm pretty sure you can use high-powered rifles to hunt them and it is open season all year.
    I have heard BAD things about these critters (destructive, mean and once they arrive they are hard to get rid of).

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Lemme know where they are at. I'll help dispose of the problem. 5.56x45 does a nice job on them.

.45acp is not a round you would want to hunt these things with. If I find them here, My setup will be my 20" ar15, my ruger redhawk .44mag then my g30 for a backup gun.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've got to admit that is a little disturbing to me. I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but it seems hunting with dogs and finishing them off with a knife isn't exactly humane.

Go ahead, let me have it...

No flames from me. ;) I was a little surprised when I was first exposed to it via friends in Texas and Australia. Apparently, it is relatively common there. The dogs wear wide collars to minimize k9 injury. The hogs... Well.

Since there was no graphic warning at the thread title, I removed the image. I can't edit it from the quote but did what I can after a potential faux pax.

FWIW, the traditional method was to use dogs to corner and finish the pig with a short hafted boar spear. Not everything "traditional" continues to be a good idea, conceded, but I personally don't have a problem with this method. I can see how others might and offer no judgement (or flames ;) ) accordingly.

Anyone that knows of a population, has property owner permission, and intends to organize a hunt? I would love to tag along - traditional or centerfire.

Last edited:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    A lot of old time hog farmers killed their hogs by slitting their throats while feeding, or is it chasing them with dogs that disturbs you.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Continuing on what we had in East Tennessee...

Sus scrofa Gray; European Wild Hog

Here's a picture of cute old Wilbur. My great-uncle had a mounted boar head in their home that he had taken. Born in 1908, they farmed within miles of what later became the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. Let me tell you, those mounted heads are disturbing to a wee five year old from Daytona Beach!
    BoarMount.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    For all my farming experience hogs were never my cup of tea...just something about them. Saw a show about them a couple of years ago and as soon as the first or second litter delivered in the wild the babies are back to what they were before man started keeping them. They said that one that escapes starts taking on the characteristics within a year.

OH! Sort of like strawberries?

Top Bottom