Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker
    The fish are safe to eat. Keep in mind that older larger fish will have higher mercury levels than smaller younger fish.... Would I eat a 50lb catfish.... no.. they're not as clean tasting imo.... would I eat a 10-15lb catfish out of the river... yes. Unless you eat fish out of the river on a daily basis you don't have to worry about it. Just my

I have eaten plenty of fish out of the river.. There are still plenty of commercial fishermen that catch fish out of the river... and I would put money on the fact that you have eaten fish out of the river and didn't even know it lol

I wouldn't worry about it.

-dcary7
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his palace, his possessions are safe."
    Jesus Christ, Luke 11:21

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them."
    Walter Mondale

Master
    Ugh... I've read of many towns/cities that have sewage dumps or overflows during heavy rains that go directly into the river. Delaware County, up-river from Noblesville got in some trouble a while back for the overflow dumping.

I wouldn't eat it.

I'm planning on fishing the White River this weekend but I'll be throwing back what I catch.

Plinker
    Something you can do if you're that worried about it.... set up a large "fish tank" and let whatever you catch swim in the clean water for 24-48 hours... it'll help flush their system... That is what I am told at least. Like I said for smaller fish I wouldn't worry about it at all.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his palace, his possessions are safe."
    Jesus Christ, Luke 11:21

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them."
    Walter Mondale

Quote Originally Posted by dcary7 View Post
    Something you can do if you're that worried about it.... set up a large "fish tank" and let whatever you catch swim in the clean water for 24-48 hours... it'll help flush their system... That is what I am told at least. Like I said for smaller fish I wouldn't worry about it at all.

It's an interesting thought and I wonder how well it would work (ie, how much time it would actually take)

I know that we've fished a river in KY (cleaner river, mind you) and put the catfish in ponds on our farm. Catching them a few years later, and cleaning them results in very white clean meat. Dirty fish CAN be made clean, but I don't know how long it takes.
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The internet is great because people will believe almost anything you post. - Abraham Lincoln

Plinker
    I think what alot of people remember about the river is that they have heard of all the sewage that has been dumped into it. I think that today there alot more requlations placed on what is placed into the river. I know that I live south of Bloomington and that river is actualy clean in this area. There are several white perch that are caught in this area. White perch can not live in contaminated water. Just my 2 cents

Knifeholic
    In the few places around Indy that you can actually fish White River without trespassing ...the DNR has signs posted stating don't eat the fish.
    If you cannot PM me, please email me at bjh13@hrtc.net or call me @ (317) 605-8468 for knife info.

Revolver Tactical Website: http://revolvertactical.com/

if you have to think this much about it, dont do it.

Sharpshooter
    so many ounces per week inner city fish.different forks of the river are cleaner.i got black friends that been eating them and carp.i wouldnt eat at there house that day,but i consider them as good as me or any one.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger7722 View Post
    i wouldnt eat at there house that day,but i consider them as good as me or any one.
    Huh??
    Speed without accuracy is wasted ammo. Accuracy without speed is wasted time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast