jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    radio.jpg

COST: $49.90 per unit (radio + USB programming cable)

WHAT:
    - BAOFENG UV-5RA Plus (VHF 136-174, UHF 400-520Mhz)
    - USB Program Cable

WHEN:
    - Order will be placed on Monday, 29 April 2013 & takes 14-21 days to arrive.
    MONEY IS DUE BY SATURDAY, 27 APRIL 2013.

WHERE:
    - Pickup from Griffith, IN
    - Shipping possible via USPS (buyer to pay for shipping cost)
    - Possible pick up 01 JUN 2013 near Indy 1500 (McDs) :dunno:

--Shipping Details--
    One radio + usb cable will fit in a [STRIKE]$5.80[/STRIKE] $5.15 small USPS flat rate priority mail box MINUS the radio packaging box.
    Two radios + usb cables will fit in a [STRIKE]$12.35[/STRIKE] $11.30 medium USPS flat rate priority mail box MINUS the radio packaging box.

PAYMENT OPTIONS
    - Cash
    - Money Order
    - Check
    - PayPal (Personal Funds Transfer ONLY)
    - Bank Transfer via Chase Quick Pay or Capital One (PM for account details)

ITEM BELOW WILL NOT WORK IF YOU USE A CREDIT CARD.
    1) Log into PayPal
    2) Click on Send Money
    3) In the To field enter <<PM me for the email>>
    4) In the AMT enter $49.90 (or correct amount with shipping/extra parts)
    5) Click on the Personal tab
    6) Click on Continue
    7) Enter your callsign on INGO in the comments so I know who has paid

You must either have the amount in your PayPal account or allow PayPal to do a transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account (ie. have a linked bank account to PayPal) so that PayPal can then transfer it to my PayPal account. Otherwise you can use your credit card to put $49.90 into YOUR paypal account (you will incur a fee) and then transfer the $49.90 as shown above.

Here is a video on how to send a PayPal Personal Transfer.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT_svsB-MDU[/ame]

RADIO DETAILS:

Here are the features of the radio.
    • Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-520MHz
    • Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby
    • Output Power: 4 /1Watts
    • 128 Channels
    • 50 CTCSS and 104 CDCSS
    • Built-in VOX Function
    • 1750Hz Brust Tone
    • FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)
    • LED Flashlight
    • Large LCD Display
    • High /Low RF Power Switchable
    • 25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable
    • Emergency Alert
    • Low Battery Alert
    • Battery Saver
    • Time-out Timer
    • Keypad Lock
    • Monitor Channel
    • Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25KHz
    • ROGER SET
    PACKAGE DETAILS:
    radio_all2.jpg

This is everything that is included per radio ordered.
    • 1 x UV-5RA Plus (VHF 136-174, UHF 400-520Mhz)
    • 1 x 7.4V 1800mah Battery Pack
    • 1 x Dual Band Antenna
    • 1 x Belt Clip
    • 1 x English Manual
    • 1 x Desktop Charger ( 100V ~ 240V ) with correct plug for your country (ie. USA plug)
    • 1 x PTT Earpiece
    • 1 x USB Cable
    OPTIONAL ITEMS AVALIABLE TO BUY
    Note these items won't fit in a small USPS flat rate box so the medium box would have to be used to fit these items and the radio + USB cable.

#1 Extra battery - 1600 mah (same one that comes with radio)
    Cost: $8.80

#2 Extra battery - 3600 mah (larger battery)
    Cost: 18.20
    THIS BATTERY WILL NOT FIT ON THE RADIO WE ARE BUYING!
    It is ONLY for UV-5R, UV-5RB and UV-5RE per vendor.
    UV-R5A+ DOES NOT have a large battery yet per vednor.
    http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-FAQ.html
    radio_battery_large.jpg

Note this will cause the radio to extend and look like this:
    515143556_774.jpg

#3) Extra Battery - AAA battery container
    Cost: $6.20
    radio_battery_aaa.jpg

#4) Mobile vehicle antenna
    Cost: $15.80
    radio_antenna_car.jpg

WILL NOT FIT IN MEDIUM SIZE USPS PRIORITY MAIL BOX
    REQUIRES CUSTOM LONG POSTER SIZE BOX

#5) Speaker Mic
    Cost: $10.90
    radio_speaker.jpg

INFO NEEDED FROM YOU

If you are interested in this group buy please post in this thread the following:
    • INGO callsign
    • Qty of radios
    • Color (camo, blue, red, yellow, black)
    • Any optional items you want
    ABOUT ME
    I ran a group buy last year for the UV-3R on INGO.
    You can see that info here.

I have also ran a care package group for our troops overseas.
    You can see that info here.

As well as look at my feedback to see I won't run away with your money.

DISCLAIMER/NOTE OF WARNING
    This is a starter radio for someone who may be interested in getting in HAM Radio but does not want to spend a lot of money. The radio is Chinese made and loud. It will not take a beating like the name brands.

Anyone can own this radio. However if you do not have an Amateur Radio License issued by the FCC you ARE NOT allowed to transmit on this or any other ham radio. You can still listen in, hear the NOAA weather, local EMS, FM radio, etc.

The cost for a 10-year license is around $14 and more information can be found here: American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO.

Note on the license:
    You must pass a multi-choice 35 question test in order to obtain your entry-level license.

--SOFTWARE INSTALLATION--
    Instructions will be posted once radios arrive.

--FAQ--
    Q1: What is the difference between the UV-R5, UV-R5B, UV-R5C, UV-R5D, UV-R5E, AND UV-R5A+

A1: UV-R5 was the first generation of this radio. Next came B, C, D, E and now the latest version is A+. In each iteration the firmware on the radio has been upgraded (more options). The firmware on the radio CAN NOT be upgraded by the user. In addition the plastic shell of the radio, button design, button layout has changed somewhat. In the 5A+ version a new antenna design was also done to improve the radio.

Q2: I heard that you can go beyond the FCC 'ham radio' frequencies with this radio.

A2: This radio is designed for the international market and the entire frequency range (you can listen & transmit) is from 130-174mhz and from 400-480mhz. This means you do need to be careful as a Ham license only allows you to TX on 2m from 144-148mhz and on 440 from 420-450mhz. The radio is not FCC certified to transmit on any of the Marine VHF, MURS, FRS/GMRS, or business radio or emergency services radio frequencies that lie in these frequency ranges and operating in those frequency ranges. Transmitting on those frequencies will expose you to FCC actions (ie. fines and/or loss of license).

You can control the frequencies via the radio software.

Q3: How does the battery get charged on this radio?

A3: The charging cradle uses an IC. The UV-5R should not be operated while in the charging cradle. The battery should be removed from the charger once the charge cycle is complete.

--USEFUL LINKS--
    Indiana Repeater List
    Repeater Directory Listing

Indiana Government Agency Frequency List
    Lake County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Train Radio Frequency List
    Railroad Radio Frequencies

Fan Website of Radio with links to all sorts of useful info
    (Latest drivers and software can be found here)
    Brick O'Lore: Baofeng

File for software for NWI repeaters + local radio stations.
    To be added later

---WEBSITE WITH USEFUL INFO ON HOW TO PROGRAM--
    http://www.miklor.com/

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    VENDOR POLL
    Vendor 1 = 10 (jedi, geronimojoe85*, andski3**, kpt***, LockStocksAndBarrel *x4, jeeper038 *x5, mettle, zombiepanda, Lucky, Muzzle Flash)
    Vendor 2 = 3 (NavyVet, KLB, Bill B)

* Called it cheap insurance to go with vendor 1
    ** leary of large order with new vendor
    *** lean towards the proven vendor
    *x4 He's a known quantity and trust is important to me
    *x5 Stay with reputable source

LIST OF BUYERS
    TOTAL = 41 (as of 21 APR 2013)

black = 20
    yellow = 2
    red = 5
    blue = 5
    camo = 9
    PINK = 1 w/ rainbow motif and unicorn antenna

MEMBER ORDER STATUS
    [STRIKE]1) $55.05 PAID via PayPal - andski3 - 1 black + Shipping (small box)[/STRIKE] ORDER SHIPPED
    [STRIKE]2) $49.90 PAID via CASH - klb - 1 yellow[/STRIKE] PICKED UP @ Meet & Shoot
    3) $56.10 due - geronimojoe85 1 red + AAA pack PICKED UP @ Meet & Shoot
    [STRIKE]4) $49.90 PAID via PayPal - Bill B - 1 blue[/STRIKE] DROPPED OFF
    [STRIKE]5) $67.40 PAID via Check - ZombiePanda - 1 black + AAA pack + Shipping (medium box) [/STRIKE] ORDER SHIPPED & Shipping refund given via Check
    [STRIKE]6) $56.10 PAID via PayPal - LockStocksAndBarrel - 1 camo + AAA pack [NavyVet will pickup][/STRIKE] PICKED UP BY NAVYVET
    [STRIKE]7) $179.20 PAID via PayPal -NavyVet - 1 black, 1 red, 1 blue + 3 AAA packs + 1 mic (3 radios total) [/STRIKE] PICKED UP BY NAVYVET
    [STRIKE]8) $56.10 PAID via Cash - 3steps - 1 blue + 1 AAA pack[/STRIKE] PICKED UP
    [STRIKE]9) $56.10 PAID via PayPal - cyprant - 1 black + 1 AAA pack[/STRIKE] DROPPED OFF W/ BILL B
    [STRIKE]10) $173.40 PAID via Money Order - Chase515 - 1 black, 1 red, 1 camo + 2 AAA packs + Shipping (medium box) (3 radios total)
    [/STRIKE][strike]11) $56.10 due - Bronson3304 - 1 black + AAA pack[/strike] (order added to #10) ORDER SHIPPED
    [STRIKE]12) $112.20 PAID via Check - jeeper038 - 1 black, 1 blue + 2 AAA packs[/STRIKE] PICKED UP BY BROTHER
    [STRIKE]13) $56.10 PAID via Cash - Muzzle Flash - 1 black + AAA pack[/STRIKE] PICKED UP
    [STRIKE] 14) $55.35 PAID via Check - Lucky - 1 black + Shipping (small box)*[/STRIKE] ORDER SHIPPED
    [STRIKE] 15) $67.40 PAID via PayPal - kpt - 1 black + AAA pack + Shipping (medium box) [/STRIKE] ORDER SHIPPED & Shipping refund given via PayPal
    [STRIKE]16) $141.10 due - mettle - 2 camo, 2 std. batteries, 2 AAA packs + Shipping (medium box)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]16) $76.20 due; $77 PAID via MoneyOrder - mettle - 1 camo, 1 std. batteries, 1 AAA packs + Shipping (medium box)[/STRIKE] ORDER SHIPPED
    [STRIKE]17) $128.00 PAID via Check - Bucky623 - 1 black, 1 camo, + 2 AAA packs + car antenna [NavyVet will pickup][/STRIKE] PICKED UP BY NAVYVET
    [STRIKE]18) $150.00 PAID via PayPal (tenative total: $146.65) - Ripper - 2 black, 2 std. batteries, 2 AAA packs + Shipping (large box @ $16.85) **[/STRIKE] ORDER SHIPPED
    [STRIKE]19) $91.60 PAID via PayPal + shipping TBD - GLOCKMAN23C - 1 black, 1 std. batteries, 1 AAA packs + 1 car antenna + 1 mic [Shipping TBD after items arrive or possible Indy Drop off][/STRIKE] ORDER SHIPPED
    [STRIKE]20) $182.60 PAID via Cash - gunbunnies - 1 black, 2 camo, 1 AAA pack, 1 car antenna, 1 mic [/STRIKE] PICKED UP
    [STRIKE]21) $660.20 PAID via PayPal- ImGumbyD@mit - 3 black, 2 red, 1 blue, 3 camo, 6 std. batteries, 4 AAA packs, 5 car antennas, 5 mics [9 total radios] (Will pick up)[/STRIKE] PICKED UP @ Meet & Shoot
    [STRIKE]22) $67.00 PAID via PayPal - UnionPmedic - 1 black, 1 AAA pack, 1 Mic [/STRIKE] GIVEN TO T-STAR TO GIVE TO MEMBER
    [STRIKE]23) $64.90 PAID via Chase Transfer - dansgotguns - 1 black, 1 std. battery, 1 AAA pack[/STRIKE] GIVEN TO T-STAR TO GIVE TO MEMBER

* PayPal refund to Lucky; Lucky send .30 more to cover the cost of the PayPal refund
    ** wants retail boxes of radios

Last edited:

ZombiePanda

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I'll buy:

• (1) radio, black @ $49.90
    • (1) Extra Battery - AAA battery container @ $6.20
    • Possibly more depending on answers to questions below
    Does anyone know how long the battery life is on the 1600 and 3600 packs? I know it will vary by usage, but assume just listening. Also, can the battery packs be charged without being on the radio?

I'll be paying by check or money order (your choice) and will need to have these shipped. Let me know what size box is needed for the stuff above.

Thank you for taking the time to set this up. It's greatly appreciated.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Let me know when you have a price for the high capacity battery. Once I know, I can decide on a quantity.

I am able to bring radios back to the South Bend / Elkhart area for those in my area.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'll buy:

• (1) radio, black @ $49.90
    • (1) Extra Battery - AAA battery container @ $6.20
    • Possibly more depending on answers to questions below
    Does anyone know how long the battery life is on the 1600 and 3600 packs? I know it will vary by usage, but assume just listening. Also, can the battery packs be charged without being on the radio?

I'll be paying by check or money order (your choice) and will need to have these shipped. Let me know what size box is needed for the stuff above.

Thank you for taking the time to set this up. It's greatly appreciated.

Unlike the UV-3R which you could charge via the USB programming cable hooked up to a computer the UV-5R CANNOT be charged with the USB cable. The UV-3R used a 3.6v battery, the UV-5R uses a 7.4 volt battery. USB is 5 volts and while it is theoretically possible it would be very slow and very expensive to make such a cable.

So you have to use the charging station with this radio to charge up the battery. Or buy a seperate charging adapter link this one.
    1 x Li-ion AC Charger for Baofeng 3800mAh Battery - 409SHOP LIMITED (HONGKONG)
    1 x Li-ion AC Charger for Baofeng 3800mAh Battery

As for battery life of the 1800 vs 3600 packs I've looked all over the net and can not find an answer for you in terms of how long it will last as everyone says 'depends on useage' :rolleyes:.

IMO I use skip the 3600 battery pack and get the AAA and use rechargable SANYO - eneloop batteries which can be bought online or at Costco. Those batteries are great.

Plus in SHTF you are going to have better luck finding AAA then a power source to re-juice this little radio.

--shipping--
    Getting the radio + usb cable + AAA battery pack will most likely have to go in a medium size box. It's a very tight fit in the small box with just the radio, it's parts and the USB cable. What you can do is mail a check for the medium size box rate. If i manage to get it into the small size box I will send you a check for the difference.

ZombiePanda

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Unlike the UV-3R which you could charge via the USB programming cable hooked up to a computer the UV-5R CANNOT be charged with the USB cable. The UV-3R used a 3.6v battery, the UV-5R uses a 7.4 volt battery. USB is 5 volts and while it is theoretically possible it would be very slow and very expensive to make such a cable.

So you have to use the charging station with this radio to charge up the battery. Or buy a seperate charging adapter link this one.
    1 x Li-ion AC Charger for Baofeng 3800mAh Battery - 409SHOP LIMITED (HONGKONG)
    1 x Li-ion AC Charger for Baofeng 3800mAh Battery

As for battery life of the 1800 vs 3600 packs I've looked all over the net and can not find an answer for you in terms of how long it will last as everyone says 'depends on useage' :rolleyes:.

IMO I use skip the 3600 battery pack and get the AAA and use rechargable SANYO - eneloop batteries which can be bought online or at Costco. Those batteries are great.

Plus in SHTF you are going to have better luck finding AAA then a power source to re-juice this little radio.

--shipping--
    Getting the radio + usb cable + AAA battery pack will most likely have to go in a medium size box. It's a very tight fit in the small box with just the radio, it's parts and the USB cable. What you can do is mail a check for the medium size box rate. If i manage to get it into the small size box I will send you a check for the difference.

Okay, cool. I'll go with just the radio and the AAA battery pack, then. PM me your address and I'll get a check (with medium box shipping added) mailed to you in the next day or two.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'll take one in Camo and the AAA battery pack.

Thanks for doing this again, Jedi. Last years was well done everyone so fear not. Jedi is top notch.

And again, thanks Navy Vet, I appreciate the pick up! Maybe when we meet up you can help me out with programming.

I'll take one in Camo and the AAA battery pack.

Stocks

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Updated to lower shipping price.
    The online price for printing postage is a bit cheaper and I can do that at home.

small box = $5.15
    medium box = $11.30

Also updated to reflect ZombiePanda & LockStocksAndBarrel order.

PM sent to ZombiePanda as well.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Found something! Actually I had to ask at the UV-R5 Yahoo Group.
    :D

I use mine (1800mah) from 6:00am to 6:00pm on FM with some chat to and from
    work, it has never droped below 2 bars.

73 Gord VA3GLK
    SOURCE
    Yahoo! Groups

also

With the UV-5R and 3600 mah battery, with the local NOAA weather channel, volume
    turned up until it was just below distorting, I got about 22 hours.

If you are listening to a couple of local repeater, with moderate activity, and
    do a moderate amount of transmitting, I would think you could go at least 3 - 4
    days at 10 hours a day, possibly more.

I operated all day reporting times back to headquarters from the finish line for
    a canoe and kayak race (a three day event, 135 miles). I will note that we had
    excellent audio quality reports.

When put on charge it was fully charged in less than an hour. I don't know
    exactly, because about an hour after I had set it in the charger I checked it,
    and the charger LED was green.

The UV-5R is VERY good as far as battery life, much, much better than I would
    have ever expected.

Paul - AE5JU
    SOURCE
    Yahoo! Groups

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Update vendor has advised that the LARGE BATTERY 3600 will NOT fit on the UV-R5A+ radio we are buying. It fix only on prior R5 models. The latest version of the radio R5A+ does not yet have a LARGE battery.

So if anyone wants this LARGE battery please let me know so I can order a UV-R5E radio for you to make it fit. You will lose some functionality and get a 'cheaper' small antenna if you go this route however. So that is something you have to determine.

As I have stated before, personally I would go the AAA battery pack route and use rechargeable batteries.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I had a feeling the hi-cap battery would be a problem. I will get one later if it becomes available. Don't want to break up the purchasing power of the group buy.

Go ahead and ring me up for 3 radios (UV-5RA+ 1 each Blue, Black, Red)
    Add a AAA battery pack for each radio
    Qnty 1 Speaker-Mic (black if there is a choice)

As before, I am willing to haul radios back to South Bend / Elkhart / Plymouth for those that want them. If someone from Fort Wayne wants to meet me in Warsaw, I can bring those back as well.

Jedi, thanks for pulling this together again...

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom