• ...and so much more!
  • Mistermann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2016
    Fishers
    INGO

My first post outside the intro forum :).

I am looking to purchase my first handgun and would like the opportunity to try out before I purchase. I am looking for a place that has a nice Range and top notch customer service. I'd like to take my wife over for some initial training, and possibly get her a gun if she's interested in shooting as well. I'd like our first experience at a gun store to be positive.

With that in mind, I've seen the following places online and have them on my "list" to research. I was hoping some of you here could narrow down my list by offering first-hand opinions. Please steer me in the right direction. Thanks!!

Point Blank - Carmel
    Tim’s Shooting Academy - Westfield
    Indy Gun Bunker - Indy (Post Rd. East Side)
    Indy Arms Company – 56[SUP]th[/SUP] & Keystone

I'm on the NE side of Indy up in Fishers. Am I missing any stores? Thoughts??

Really appreciate the help.

mm

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Based on personal experience, you've pretty much got the close facilities listed. Might also try Parabellum in Avon if you want to venture out a little further.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Point Blank has that "new store" feeling. I don't know if that is better than another, but if you want a positive experience I'd say that would be a safe bet. Don't put all your eggs in one basket though. Go in, look around, maybe rent a gun or 2 and go shooting and call it a day. Try a different place next time.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Point Blank is great for new and inexperienced shooters. It's very clean, well lit and the customer service is excellent.

It's not the cheapest place to shoot, but they have a ton of rental guns to try and the prices on new guns are fair. They also have lots of sales by manufacturer. Glock, S&W, Ruger, etc.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks! Would you recommend one over another for any reason?

Point Blank has a lot wider rental selection and a ton of ammo in every caliber. its a great place for you to handle a lot of different handguns and be able to shoot a wide variety all in one place. Great customer service and a good group of folks.

All that said, I'd shop around as much as possible. Don't just shot there and not hit the other places. It's worth going to as many places as you can just for the experience and to pick up all of the different perspectives from the different gun store crews.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You've hit the ones closest to you. Point blank iirc is $10 to rent guns. That gets you 1 gun at a time, but you can shoot it, walk out with it and get another one. Basically you can rent every gun on the wall for $10 plus ammo and range time.

Btw....Welcome to ingo!

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I wish BGF would open up but have given up on them. I've been going to Gunslingers at Anderson. For the price, they are the best since they offer only one charge for pistol and rifle. They may not be as fancy as the others, but it's clean, well lit, and vented well. People there are nice too.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    INGO

My first post outside the intro forum :).

I am looking to purchase my first handgun and would like the opportunity to try out before I purchase. I am looking for a place that has a nice Range and top notch customer service. I'd like to take my wife over for some initial training, and possibly get her a gun if she's interested in shooting as well. I'd like our first experience at a gun store to be positive.

With that in mind, I've seen the following places online and have them on my "list" to research. I was hoping some of you here could narrow down my list by offering first-hand opinions. Please steer me in the right direction. Thanks!!

Point Blank - Carmel
    Tim’s Shooting Academy - Westfield
    Indy Gun Bunker - Indy (Post Rd. East Side)
    Indy Arms Company – 56[SUP]th[/SUP] & Keystone

I'm on the NE side of Indy up in Fishers. Am I missing any stores? Thoughts??

Really appreciate the help.

mm

JMHO, stay away from the gun bunker..... Used to be Pop guns, then Family Indoor, then Dad, sold it to son, and new name .....

Do NOT know if Customer Service has improved or not .....

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I wish BGF would open up but have given up on them. I've been going to Gunslingers at Anderson. For the price, they are the best since they offer only one charge for pistol and rifle. They may not be as fancy as the others, but it's clean, well lit, and vented well. People there are nice too.

I haven't been to Gunslingers since they added the range, but the customer service was always top notch when I went. I wouldn't hesitate to go back if in the area.

JMHO, stay away from the gun bunker..... Used to be Pop guns, then Family Indoor, then Dad, sold it to son, and new name .....

Do NOT know if Customer Service has improved or not .....

I grew up around "The Gun Bunker", though I know it as Pop Guns. I gave them more chances than I'm proud of, and have written that place off completely. I've seen it all there, rude customer service, slimy sales tactics, unsafe gun handling, you name it.

Highsmith in Greenfield is another option.

Highsmith is another great shop/range. It's a little ways from Fishers, but I've made the trip a few times from the Castleton area and have never left feeling like I wasted my time. The guys behind the counter are always friendly and helpful too.

Mistermann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2016
    Fishers
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys!!!

I happened to drive by the Gun Bunker the other day and knew what I was looking for as I went by it ... definitely not the vibe I was hoping for. :( Sounds like some of you guys concur that GB is a pass.

I have plans to head over to Point Blank and check out the facilities, talk to the employees, and shoot some handguns. Really looking forward to the experience - I'll report back my impressions once I do that.

Seriously great to have a wealth of knowledge here at INGO right at my fingertips! :rockwoot:

gtl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys!!!

I happened to drive by the Gun Bunker the other day and knew what I was looking for as I went by it ... definitely not the vibe I was hoping for. :( Sounds like some of you guys concur that GB is a pass.

I have plans to head over to Point Blank and check out the facilities, talk to the employees, and shoot some handguns. Really looking forward to the experience - I'll report back my impressions once I do that.

Seriously great to have a wealth of knowledge here at INGO right at my fingertips! :rockwoot:

Any thoughts as to what type of gun you want to buy?

I recently did the whole "try before you buy" and ended up spending almost $40 just to shoot a gun after you factor in rental, ammo (that you must buy from the range at retail price), and range time. If you're not looking to spend a lot on your first gun, you might be better off finding one that feels good in your hands, dry fire it a couple of times, and call it a day.

Just my 2 cents.

Mistermann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2016
    Fishers
    Any thoughts as to what type of gun you want to buy?

I recently did the whole "try before you buy" and ended up spending almost $40 just to shoot a gun after you factor in rental, ammo (that you must buy from the range at retail price), and range time. If you're not looking to spend a lot on your first gun, you might be better off finding one that feels good in your hands, dry fire it a couple of times, and call it a day.

Just my 2 cents.

I do - I am interested in 9mm Striker fire handguns. I am definitely going to check out the Sig P320 and the Glock 19/17 in particular, but am open to other options. Not sure how interested I am in the Double/Single Action guns like the 1911, but will likely shoot that style too just to be sure.

As for rental fees/range time/ammo, I consider that to be simply part of my due diligence process. It's just the type of person I am. :cool:

Thanks for your thoughts!

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I live in Fishers too. If I am going to shoot indoors I go to Point Blank in Carmel. Before Point Blank opened I would make the drive to Greenfield to shoot at Highsmith. As far as trying/renting guns I think PB will be the way to go.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I'm going to be in the fishers area next weekend visiting some friends. Is there any ranges outdoor/indoor that allow you to draw from the holster?

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Outside of a class?...not that I know of. I had to set up a session at a privately owned range for my TWAW ladies to do holster work

Mistermann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2016
    Fishers
    Just an update to this thread.

I’ve had the opportunity to visit a few ranges and will say I’ve had great experiences with the folks over at Point Blank in Carmel. I have been there a couple times now with my wife and both times was greeted professionally and treated with great respect. The folks I’ve dealt with have been courteous and happy to help – one individual even spent the better part of an hour (after our range time) helping us understand additional 9mm purchase options, pros/cons, and offered opinions on what guns might suit my wife better, etc. etc. This was done in a low/no pressure setting – the individual was simply sharing experiences, showing firearms, letting us handle, and suggesting guns to shoot on our next visit(s). I will definitely be heading back.

I haven’t been to Tim’s yet and hope to get there over this upcoming weekend. I will post first impressions once I’ve had the opportunity.

We stopped by Indy Arms Company over the past weekend just to check them out. In comparison to the experiences I had over at Point Blank, I was disappointed. We definitely weren’t made to feel welcome at all. Maybe it was a bad day for their staff or something. Still, first impressions are lasting. I highly doubt either myself or my wife will be stepping back in there anytime soon. Just my personal experience – I’m sure there are plenty of folks that enjoy their experiences at IAC.

Top Bottom